Pending updates

Seeing what the changelog being pushed to the testers now is nice, so at least we get a bit of a sense of movement.

However, would it be possible for Aerosoft/Digital Aviation/Hans to at least show us a list of “Known Issues”, and their associated state (e.g., logged, investigating, root cause identified, etc.)? I think that would be much more valuable than seeing only the things that Aerosoft/DA are certainly acting on.

To me, for example, knowing that Aerosoft knows about the TCAS draw distance issue and has logged it in a table is comforting, even if there’s no guarantee the fix will be provided in the next update. Just seeing acknowledgment of the issues I need and knowing that Aerosoft certainly knows they exist is what I’m hoping for.

(And no, not saying “we’ll look at it” in response to a forum post; that’s not adequate communication imho)

23 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

I had forgotten this.  I remember this floating around when the CRJ first released, but I thought when it resurfaced during the Twin Otter release Mathijs pooh-poohed it as false.

Hmm, I guess I could be wrong.  It has happened.  Once I thought I was wrong, but turns out I was mistaken :)  Seriously though, I could be wrong on this, maybe @Mathijs Kok can set this one straight.  Could you imagine the uproar from the market group if those of us that bought elsewhere were flying, just as an example, version 1.5 for a couple of weeks while they were stuck on 1.0 waiting on the market?  They would be in here demanding refunds going full bore keyboard warrior/whuss. That being the case, if the situation I mention is not a contractual rule, I would do it anyhow if I were in charge of AS.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Once I thought I was wrong, but turns out I was mistaken

Every day you reaffirm yourself as my favorite poster here, even though my first post here drew your famous ire.

EDIT: here is the post I was thinking of

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Jeffreys said:

I fly it on VATSIM 3 to 4 times a week, I have never had any issues that made me not complete a flight.

I tried it once.  At one point it veered off the FMS course and refused to reengage.  I had to disconnect from the network and keep working on it.  Never figured it out.  The airport was busy and didn't need a guy trying to figure out his plane.  I plan to just fly it offline until the patch comes out and then we'll see.

8 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

Every day you reaffirm yourself as my favorite poster here, even though my first post here drew your famous ire.

EDIT: here is the post I was thinking of

Good catch.  I had never read that because I am not a Twin Otter guy.  Although I wonder then if it is an AS policy, because it would be for me if I ran it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gregg Seipp said:

I tried it once.  At one point it veered off the FMS course and refused to reengage.  I had to disconnect from the network and keep working on it.  Never figured it out.  The airport was busy and didn't need a guy trying to figure out his plane.  I plan to just fly it offline until the patch comes out and then we'll see.

I second what was already said about flying on VATSIM.  So far I have over 350 hours in the CRJ7 and CRJ9 and every hour has been on VATSIM.  I have experienced nothing that has kept me from flying on VATSIM.

• Upvote 2

Only thing that is a pain with VATSIM is Com2 is busted, so you have to juggle on Com1.  Otherwise, agreed, no issues.  Just finished a flight from KSTL to KCLT (and closed down every controller along the way), no issues other than known CRJ quirks.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:18 PM, GEK_the_Reaper said:

And it is also because (as the loading text says) over hundred of community members actually provide code for it.

Honestly lol.

It's like, do you wanna submit code to Aerosoft for free for the CRJ? I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Otherwise, what are you complaining about?

EDIT: Although, yes, I understand the frustration in paying for a product and not having long-standing bugs sorted. I am glad to see development continues. Hope to see more in the future.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Vicinian:

Honestly lol.

Honestly....you should try to read the entire reply before you LOL.

Understand that all those over 100 community users provide bits and pieces and upload those every step of the way (in the DEV or EXP versions ONLY). Can you tell how many BUGS have been uploaded then unloaded then uploaded again etc? Did you notice that some of the uploaded versions didn't even work at all due to instant CTD? Have you tried a DIR TO in that NX, did you notice both MCDUS providing same informations? etc.

Now don't get me wrong...those guys are doing a tremendous job for free (did you help them with a small donation already?) but comparing it (at this stage) with the CRJ...this makes me LOL.

Now please get back on topic or this will be closed 

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2022 at 7:57 PM, Mathijs Kok said:
  • Fixed TOD indication 
  •  

Thanks, bit unclear though. Can you kindly make sure this also includes:

* wrong time to TOD on PFD. Usually show 1 to 2 minutes to TOD when it's actually much more.

* wrong TOC and TOD on MFD DATA

So, today I flew out of Jacksonville, FL on the CROSB2 WISPR departure rwy 32.  It has a vector segment at the beginning.  I took off runway heading.  At 1200 I turned toward WISPR and hit NAV.  The plane immediately started a left turn...maybe back to runway heading?  I did a quick DIRECT WISPR and it turned back. So, if you're on a vector segment, you have to do an explicit DIRECT TO before engaging NAV...that sound right?  

14 minutes ago, Gregg Seipp said:

So, today I flew out of Jacksonville, FL on the CROSB2 WISPR departure rwy 32.  It has a vector segment at the beginning.  I took off runway heading.  At 1200 I turned toward WISPR and hit NAV.  The plane immediately started a left turn...maybe back to runway heading?  I did a quick DIRECT WISPR and it turned back. So, if you're on a vector segment, you have to do an explicit DIRECT TO before engaging NAV...that sound right?  

In my experience it will pick up the next point if you're sufficiently close, otherwise yeah you'd need to do an intercept.

If I'm not bothering with ATC I usually delete the vector entry and it will go direct by itself.

3 hours ago, Gregg Seipp said:

Looking at that chart:

1. Take off on 32 : Climb heading 317 to 540 ft then climb to assigned altitude on heading 317 or as assigned by ATC

2. GIGLZ is your first waypoint.

3. There is no direct route to GIGLZ from the runway.  You have to turn direct to it or be vectored by ATC if they are present.

Did you engage the TO mode upon entering the runway, where TO is displayed twice on top left corner of the PFD?  If so, and you should have, that sets the flight directors so that it will guide you on runway heading for departure.  Then you would have dialed in or had already dialed in 317 on the heading bug, which is also runway heading.  

Upon wheels up you should have flown TO/TO to an altitude of 540, once you are past the acceleration point and at least 540 on altitude, command SPD climb mode and HDG mode.  You would then be climbing on heading 317 still. Bug up speed to 250 and turned right to a heading directly to GIGLZ.  Once on that heading, do a DCT TO and select GIGLZ then enjoy the rest of your flight.  

BTW If you wanted to fly CROSB2.WHISPER, you would still go to GIGLZ then CROSB before WHISPER per the standard ROUTING box.  Of course if instructed by real or imagined ATC you could have selected a DCT TO to any waypoint in your plan also. 

Rember you cannot LNAV or NAV from some point X to another point Y just by hitting NAV.  You have to have a FROM and TO.  In the case of a vectored departure the FROM is created by either RADAR vectors (heading instructions/decisions) to an initial fix or by the DCT TO function. 

I would recommend studying up on the TakeOff (TO) function that should be engaged at line up in the manual and/or the tutorial videos. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Looking at that chart:

1. Take off on 32 : Climb heading 317 to 540 ft then climb to assigned altitude on heading 317 or as assigned by ATC

2. GIGLZ is your first waypoint.

3. There is no direct route to GIGLZ from the runway.  You have to turn direct to it or be vectored by ATC if they are present.

Did you engage the TO mode upon entering the runway, where TO is displayed twice on top left corner of the PFD?  If so, and you should have, that sets the flight directors so that it will guide you on runway heading for departure.  Then you would have dialed in or had already dialed in 317 on the heading bug, which is also runway heading.  

Upon wheels up you should have flown TO/TO to an altitude of 540, once you are past the acceleration point and at least 540 on altitude, command SPD climb mode and HDG mode.  You would then be climbing on heading 317 still. Bug up speed to 250 and turned right to a heading directly to GIGLZ.  Once on that heading, do a DCT TO and select GIGLZ then enjoy the rest of your flight.  

BTW If you wanted to fly CROSB2.WHISPER, you would still go to GIGLZ then CROSB before WHISPER per the standard ROUTING box.  Of course if instructed by real or imagined ATC you could have selected a DCT TO to any waypoint in your plan also. 

Rember you cannot LNAV or NAV from some point X to another point Y just by hitting NAV.  You have to have a FROM and TO.  In the case of a vectored departure the FROM is created by either RADAR vectors (heading instructions/decisions) to an initial fix or by the DCT TO function. 

I would recommend studying up on the TakeOff (TO) function that should be engaged at line up in the manual and/or the tutorial videos. 

I should have said that I did a DIRECT TO to the first fix, GIGLZ, not WISPR...I wasn't looking at the chart when I typed this.  What you describe is pretty much exactly what I did, straight ahead to 1000, bug up, retract flaps, HDG, do a right turn to intercept, except I didn't do the DIRECT TO until I hit NAV when I was responding to the airplane's unwanted left turn.  I'm very familiar with TO.  I guess the point is, I thought it would do what other planes do when you hit NAV which is to either A) turn toward the next fix to get on the course or B ) arm NAV and wait until it 'grabbed'  the course.  It did C) turn back and wait for a DIRECT TO which is what I think it was doing and that's something I haven't seen a plane do before.  The point is to understand what it was thinking and why.  If that's what it does, that's what it does.

52 minutes ago, Gregg Seipp said:

I should have said that I did a DIRECT TO to the first fix, GIGLZ, not WISPR...I wasn't looking at the chart when I typed this.  What you describe is pretty much exactly what I did, straight ahead to 1000, bug up, retract flaps, HDG, do a right turn to intercept, except I didn't do the DIRECT TO until I hit NAV when I was responding to the airplane's unwanted left turn.  I'm very familiar with TO.  I guess the point is, I thought it would do what other planes do when you hit NAV which is to either A) turn toward the next fix to get on the course or B ) arm NAV and wait until it 'grabbed'  the course.  It did C) turn back and wait for a DIRECT TO which is what I think it was doing and that's something I haven't seen a plane do before.  The point is to understand what it was thinking and why.  If that's what it does, that's what it does.

Rule of thumb with the CRJ, if there is not a line drawn to the next fix you want to go to, either DCT TO or move the fix up in the legs page.  Without a line there is no course for the a/p to grab.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Rule of thumb with the CRJ, if there is not a line drawn to the next fix you want to go to, either DCT TO or move the fix up in the legs page.  Without a line there is no course for the a/p to grab.  

This usually what I do. Hell, half the time I hand fly the departure regardless of weather. Love flying out of crummy rain clouds.

Look forward to getting some things sorted on this CRJ as it's been one of my favorites since release.

Thanks for the update, Aerosoft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

Got it.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, Sonosusto said:

This usually what I do. Hell, half the time I hand fly the departure regardless of weather. Love flying out of crummy rain clouds.

Look forward to getting some things sorted on this CRJ as it's been one of my favorites since release.

Thanks for the update, Aerosoft.

I too do not turn on the a/p until at a minimum 10000 feet unless I am under very busy VATSIM control.  I am off the a/p on approach around 10k too.  Too much fun flying to let that German guy Otto fly the plane for me.

22 hours ago, Crabby said:

I too do not turn on the a/p until at a minimum 10000 feet unless I am under very busy VATSIM control.  I am off the a/p on approach around 10k too.  Too much fun flying to let that German guy Otto fly the plane for me.

It's just not fun to use autopilot so often. I think there's hardly a point. Flight sim is supposed to be fun, not a chore. :)  Though sometimes having to peer down to the comms can be tedious after a departure.

21 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

It's just not fun to use autopilot so often. I think there's hardly a point. Flight sim is supposed to be fun, not a chore. :)  Though sometimes having to peer down to the comms can be tedious after a departure.

Yep.  I tend to hit the a/p quickly when I am flying on VATSIM out of a heavily controlled airport so I can be free for comms and I leave it on longer for the same reason when arriving to a heavily staffed airport.  My TrackIR just got delivered and I am hoping that that will allow me to fly off a/p a bit longer by making it easier to get to and change comms.