Calling pilots drivers and ships boats, what's your opinion?

The Dude

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, for ships and boats it's easy: it simply depends on the size ;) Smaller vessels are boats, larger vessels are ships.

Technically as long as you're taxiing you're driving, so then the pilot would indeed be the driver. Once in the air you can't speak of driving anymore, you're flying.

But there are some confusing situations indeed. For example, in Dutch (I don't know about other languages) flying a hot air balloon isn't called flying either. It's called sailing.

The difference between a boat and a ship is much less, basically they're two words for the same thing altough mostly you use the word boat for a smaller vessel and ship for larger. But there are situations when both words can be used.

As an ex US Submariner - all subs are "boats" - even the 560 foot long Ohio class - although I spent my time on "fast attacks" - boat works for me - ships have the negative connotation of being targets - LOL...

;)

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A ship is steered by a helmsman (Helmswoman?) when underway on the high seas but piloted by a pilot when being navigated through rivers, locks or difficult waters. :huh:

The way I see it, calling a pilot a driver is technically correct, but it's about as correct as calling a pilot a 'person'

It hides a lot of information.

Similarly, you can call a ship a boat, since it technically is one, but a ship is a specific kind of boat. It technically is a boat, but calling it one, once again, hides a lot of information.

1 hour ago, amahran said:

The way I see it, calling a pilot a driver is technically correct, but it's about as correct as calling a pilot a 'person'

It hides a lot of information.

Similarly, you can call a ship a boat, since it technically is one, but a ship is a specific kind of boat. It technically is a boat, but calling it one, once again, hides a lot of information.

I agree with you. 

Gentlemen,

The term "Driver" as it applies to pilots is a long standing euphemism / slang that was first born out of military pilots (F-14 Driver, F-4 Driver, F/A-18 Driver, etc.) and as military pilots transitioned to jobs as civilian pilots the civilian pilots picked it up. It's been around for at least 40 years and is still commonly used today - at least in the U.S.

What's the definition of "Savvy"?

mmh, but when I drive to the airfield to later drive my Cessna around the yard I can't add the time I drove to the field to my logbook... perhaps I should mount a prop to my car?

In a book about funny situations on board of Airplanes there was a nice little story that will perfectly fit to this topic.

A flight from Amsterdam was taxiing almost 1 hour cause of runway changes and long taxways. So the final announcement before start was: "... The rest of our time on board, we will fly!"

That's why I believe that "Pilots" don't like to "drive". But I am also fine with the title of an "Bus-Driver" for Airbus-Pilots.

I'm sure there is a rivalry between Airbus and Boeing pilots, so that's the way they make clear which is their favorite craft. Or why should a Boeing pilot need a sticker on his flight case with the words: "If it's no Boeing, I'm not going!" ?

Archived