How to configure the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle with Aerosoft CRJ 550/700

SimWare

• Aerosoft

Please login to display this image.

How to configure the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle
with Aerosoft CRJ 550/700/900/1000

This tutorial shows how to configure the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle with the Aerosoft CRJ’s for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

We will cover 4 points :

- Assigning the throttle axes
- Setting the throttles detents

- Setting the reversers
- Setting the landing gear, flaps & elevator trim

IMPORTANT NOTES : 1 - Currently, we cannot guarantee any other function(s) to be correctly and fully interfacable.
                                          Autopilot and spoilers for instance are currently not interfaced.
                                      2 - Make sure the ASSISTANCE settings are set to TRUE TO LIFE !
                                      3 - Make sure no other control device (Joystick, yoke, etc.) has any axis assigned to any throttle function.

ASSIGNING THE THROTTLE AXES

In Flight Simulator, go to OPTIONS -> CONTROLS,
go to POWER MANAGEMENT -> THROTTLE, assign the Honeycomb Bravo levers to THROTTLE 1 AXIS and THROTTLE 2 AXIS.
Check the REVERSE AXIS box.

Note that the REVERSE AXIS box has nothing to do with the reversers

but is only a signal polarity inversion needed with some devices.

IMPORTANT POINT #1:
Do NOT use THROTTLE 1 AXIS (0 TO100%) and
THROTTLE 2 AXIS (0 TO100%)

IMPORTANT POINT #2 :

Make sure the sensitivity curve of all the axes is linear and reactivity is set to 100% 
image.png 

SETTING THE THROTTLES DETENTS

STEP 1:

Start a flight with a CRJ.

STEP 2:

The detents are set in the Electronic Flight Bag of the CRJ

Note that the Electronic Flight bag on the left is OFF

STEP 3:
Start the EFB (Video)

STEP 4:
Once the EFB is started, click the “OPTIONS” tab

STEP 5:
Then “NEXT PAGE”

STEP 6:
Click “Calibrate Throttle”

STEP 7:
Once in the calibration screen, make sure the Type and Reverser parameters are
checked like below :
IMPORTANT : Make sure the Reverser Axis is set as on the picture.

STEP 8:
Calibrate the throttles.
The system is really simple. Just move the Bravo levers to each detent then click the “SET” buttons
next to the corresponding detent in the EFB utility. (Video)

STEP 9:
This is it !
Check in Flight Simulator that the levers move along with the Bravo ones.
As the Bravo doesn’t have real mechanical detents, you will have to rely on the markings next to the levers.
You can redo STEP 8 multiple times until you like it.

SETTING THE REVERSERS

With the Bravo Throttle, the reversers need to be triggered by inputs.
The Bravo levers axes don’t give axis signal in the reverser portion.
(That is why we had to uncheck the “Reverser Axis” option in the EFB at step 7)
We have to handle the reversers from within the Controls configuration panel in Flight Simulator.
The MSFS functions to assign are named “THROTTLE 1 DECREASE” and “THROTTLE 2 DECREASE”

There are two possible configurations for the reversers.
- With the Prop levers

- With the Commercial levers

The inputs to be assigned to the “THROTTLE 1 DECREASE” and “THROTTLE 2 DECREASE” functions are :

- Joystick Buttons 26 & 27 for the Prop levers configuration

- Joystick Buttons 10 & 11 for the Commercial levers configuration

Check the two videos hereunder showing the reversers management according to the chosen configuration :

With the Prop Levers: (Video)

With the commercial levers : (Video)

SETTING THE LANDING GEAR, FLAPS & ELEVATOR TRIM

These controls are also assigned from within the Controls configurations in Flight Simulator
1 – Landing gear
2 – Flaps

3 – Elevator trim

1 – Landing gear

2 – Flaps

3 – Elevator trim

CRJ-Bravo-MSFS.pdf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I really appreciate this tutorial - thank you. Is it possible to put in another possibility for activating and using thrust reversers on the CRJ? On the other FS2020 Airliners I'm using this method/ assignment on my Honeycomb Bravo using the commercial levers:

Setup:

• FS2020 function, Honeycomb Bravo axis or button, use
  • normal thrust mode
  • Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust, Joystick Button 10, does not activate reverse thrust for both engines (as long as it is not being pressed - as long as the lever is in down position)
  • Throttle 1 Axis (r), Joystick R-Axis Z, thrust on left engine
  • Throttle 2 Axis (r), Joystick R-Axis Y, thrust on right engine
  • reverse thrust mode
  • Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust, Joystick Button 10, activates reverse thrust for both engines (as long as it keeps being pressed - as long as the lever is in up position)
  • Throttle 1 Axis (r), Joystick R-Axis Z, reverse thrust on left engine (as long as button 10 is kept active)
  • Throttle 2 Axis (r), Joystick R-Axis Y, reverse thrust on right engine (as long as button 10 is kept active)

(r) - reverse axis checkbox active

Example how I use the above in the B787 or A20N e.g.:

• When in idle thrust and pulling both joystick levers/ buttons 10 and 11 on the Bravo and keeping them active (up/ pulled), assigned button 10 is activating reverse thrust on both engines via the sim function "Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust". Afterwards I can use both assigned thrust axis (Joystick R-Axis Z and Y) to use the full range of the reverse axis on the A20N or in the B787 from idle up to full reverse thrust on Throttle 1 Axis and Throttle 2 Axis. You can see this in the cockpit of the A20N when the levers move in the reverse range of the TCU just by using the throttle levers with acitvated button 10.
  • When putting the joystick/ levers buttons 10 and 11 back to their "down" position, "Hold Throttle reverse Thrust" deactivates and I can use the Throttle 1 and 2 Axis as normal thrust axis again.

Kind regards, Marcel.

• Aerosoft
10 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Can we use FSUIPC or AxisandOh's instead of the default stuff?

I tired using AxisandOh's and its not recognizing everything.

We have no idea on that, we never saw any need for it and we certainly do not advise it and  can't offer support for that.

• Aerosoft

Don't use FSUIPC for the CRJ throttle axes as in this case it doesn't bring any advantage.
Use the THROTTLE AXIS 1 & 2 assignments in Flight Simulator and setup the course calibration

in the CRJ EFB joystick calibration utility.
It keeps everything simple and avoid unnecessary software layers. 

Hi, 

I think you can use the FLAPS axis of the bravo, the flaps lever in the cockpit is showing the wrong value. On the MFD is shows the correct value. I will post some Screenshots later today. Not sure if its a bug. 

Regards,

Mark 

vor 20 Minuten, Mark Groeneveld sagte:

I think you can use the FLAPS axis of the bravo, the flaps lever in the cockpit is showing the wrong value. On the MFD is shows the correct value. I will post some Screenshots later today. Not sure if its a bug.

Very interesting! 

But if I use the GA-flaps-lever instead of the flaps-axis (which is a trigger only) the CRJ-flaps lever responds in a correct way; using the whole way from up to down.

6 minutes ago, Der Merowinger said:

Very interesting! 

But if I use the GA-flaps-lever instead of the flaps-axis (which is a trigger only) the CRJ-flaps lever responds in a correct way; using the whole way from up to down.

Did not have allot of time to investigate this, since work etc :) This weekend I will deep dive into this and try to make some screens for sure :). (if not today) And if its a bug we will just report it! Together we will make it the CRJ even better :) 

It could be interesting if some one can verify this? 

3 minutes ago, Der Merowinger said:

Yes, I see the same behaviour too.

Conclusion: If you want to use the flaps axis of the bravo. Its possible but readout your flaps setting on the MFD? Because the physical flaps lever (animation) of the CRJ is not showing the correct setting in this combination with the bravo. 

1 hour ago, Mark Groeneveld said:

Hi, 

Regards,

Mark 

Same here on my end.

Same behavior/bug here. Axis responds but only needs very small inputs to respond and are on full flaps when only moving lever a centimeter or so.

Hello - Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue as I have been seeing. 

I am unable to set altitude via the Bravo with the normal method. When attempting to set using the Bravo, the altitude bug does not react at all.

Button mapping below. Is this correct, and is anyone else seeing this issue as well?

• Aerosoft
vor 5 Minuten, dchutch87 sagte:

Hello - Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue as I have been seeing. 

I am unable to set altitude via the Bravo with the normal method. When attempting to set using the Bravo, the altitude bug does not react at all.

Button mapping below. Is this correct, and is anyone else seeing this issue as well?

Hi,

the AP rotaries of the Bravo are currently not supported.

16 minutes ago, MultiMediaWill said:

Does the spoiler axis work for the speed brakes? I haven't had a chance to try that out yet.

I am using a Saitek throttle but it does for me! Quite well. 

42 minutes ago, MultiMediaWill said:

Does the spoiler axis work for the speed brakes? I haven't had a chance to try that out yet.

I've been able to get everything on the Bravo working with the exception of the Flaps axis and the Altitude bug.

I am not able to asssign my lever from honeycomb via msfs. It is only possible to scan for levers called something with plus. The ones which are shown up there can not be assigned automatically. If i take the assignment manually i can accept it but it is showing motion in the crj. The sensitivity check shows that it is working

The throttle detent settings in the EFB worked great!  Makes the CRJ the only plane so far that I've tried where it's possible to properly line up the markings on the Bravo with detent positions.

Unfortunately the CRJ seems like it might have a general issue with using an axis for flaps.  Other planes like the A32NX and default Boeing aircraft seem to work well with a flaps axis, but on the CRJ a tiny movement of the Bravo lever will move the in-cockpit flaps lever to full.

The autopilot functionality has been a bit disappointing with the Bravo in general, as it doesn't work well on other commercial aircraft either.  I'm going to try unbinding all of the functions of the bug select wheel, and try setting the other wheel to increment altitude only.  Will report back on how that goes.

There doesn't appear to be an altitude +/- input that can operate without selecting the bug first, so using the INCR/DECR wheel for altitude was not possible.  For now it looks like you can toggle different AP modes using the push buttons, but having the bug select wheel set to anything will cause conflicts.  Also switched to using the GA flaps lever for now.

But how can I get the "shut off" position of the throttle levers to work? Both the Braco throttle levers, and the ones in the CRJ cockpit have such a position, it would be nice if pulling the physical levers down past idle would cause the corresponding thing for the CRJ levers. (Sure, it is possible to shut off the engines using the buttons in the overhead panel too.)

Pulling the levers down past the detent corresponds to buttons 26 and 27. I assigned those to the "throttle 1 cut" and "throttle 2 cut" functions, but that did not have any effect. 

22 hours ago, CaptainSpork1337 said:

Unfortunately the CRJ seems like it might have a general issue with using an axis for flaps.  Other planes like the A32NX and default Boeing aircraft seem to work well with a flaps axis, but on the CRJ a tiny movement of the Bravo lever will move the in-cockpit flaps lever to full.

It is possible to make it a bit less sensitive by adjusting the sensitivity curve for the flaps lever axis in MSFS. But still, the movement of the physical level is far from equivalent to that of the simulated one. 

Hi all guys!

I read all the discussion and I think this is the wright place to post my problem!

I followed all the instructions to correctly set the throttle axis with my saitek throttle quadrant. but I have a BIG PROBLEM!

When I increase throttle also the spoilers increase! As soon as I decrease throttle the spoilers do the same thing!

I noticed this happens only with the left lever of my saitek throttle quadrant, while the right lever (regulating the right engine) works perfectly, without moving spoilers!

I don't really understand what's the problem, this thing happens only with the CRj, others aircrafts are OK!

I also make sure I have no buttons assigned to spoilers in settings!

I put here a short video where you can see my problem!

HOPE SOMEONE COULD HELP ME!
Thank you all!

Please login to view this video.

Archived