AVSIM Site DOWN...please read...

alpha117

Hi All

We (AVSIM staff)have just been informed by Tom that AVSIM site will be down for some time due to hardware failure. Once the new hardware id installed then the site will be back up.
Time frame is not known at this stage
Just thought I would let everyone know.
I'll keep everyone upto date
Thanks
Clive

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope they do not get into problems for the support forums they host. I'll offer our assistance.

Hello,

When you talk to offer your support, this would eventually house the support forums? PMDG, MCE, ORBX ....and so on ? Seriously it would be a good thing including if it was permanently !

IMO of course.

Kind Regards,

Richard Portier

• 1 month later...

Posted by Tom Allensworth:

"Folks,
We have had a hard drive fail. It happens that it is the principle (boot / system drive) for the forums. We are offline until we can get new hardware and get someone in there to fix it. It could be a while. This is not your normal hard drive. It is a RAID array and will require that we replace ALL six disks on that array. Please pass the word out to all the web sites you visit please. I will post a notice on FACEBOOK."

Thanks for the information. One could say "who cares, just wait" - however due to the commercial forums (or fora?) that are attached this is a real pitty... I wish companies like PMDG, FS2Crew.... would open their own forum, that would reduce the workload on the avsim server significantly!

You can reach FS2Crew via mail and PMDG via their support desk.

Yes, but the main advantage of solving problems/asking questions throug a forum is that others with the same problem/question can get a much quicker answer. For me, a forum is much more than pure support...

• Aerosoft

Posted by Tom Allensworth:

Strange, on a raid array with 6 drives 4 will have to fail before the array is offline. Never heard about having to replace ALL drives on an array. Must have been a physical event (arrays dropped or something). We had a root drive failed this week on the forum, but it we just pulled the drive, dropped in a new one and the forum was never offline.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm als wondering about that. I hope that they had not a Raid0 configured, but even in this case you usually only have to replace the faulty drive. Problem is then to have a good DR concept. But usually you are running either Raid5 or Raid10

Thanks for the information. One could say "who cares, just wait" - however due to the commercial forums (or fora?) that are attached this is a real pitty... I wish companies like PMDG, FS2Crew.... would open their own forum, that would reduce the workload on the avsim server significantly!

+1

With Tom adding bug tracking, and taptalk and all the frilly stuff I am not surprised Avsim keeps falling down. For weeks and weeks, it has been slow loading and 2230Z on time every time, it would experience overload error.

I am told that the problem with the disk is not sudden, rather underlying problem with (at least one) disk may be the cause of forum slowness...

Archived