AVSIM Site DOWN...please read...

alpha117

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry there are things that you just don't joke about..malaysia 777 is one of them.what has that to do with Avsim .

i could understand the new poster being a fool,but you 500+ posters should know better than to encourage him.

if i've missed the humour in the 777 story ,please enlighten me.

not impressed

steve

• Deputy Sheriffs

Did not intend it as a joke. And a longer explanatory post I left later appears to have been removed.

Exactly, as it was totally offtopic. If you want to post any strange theories there are enough places out in the web. And any further offtopic will be deleted immediately.

This is all so weird. I'm trying to think of another time I have seen a large internet site go down for so long, and cant come up with anything. Its going to be an interesting campfire tale to finally hear what the heck happened :confused2_s:

Avsim is free and I guess the involved could do whatever they want with regards to buying redundancy for their site with 100k users...

Though, I would be very careful with hosting my commercial supportforums on a site that obviously have a very poor security policy.

The fact that a hardwarefailure, or any failure, should result in more than a few minutes downtime seems a bit 1990'ies. Buying reasonable redundancy for such a site is super easy and not very expensive either these days.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Update from today morning 3:47:

Restoration from the backup system is underway. Estimated time to complete: 1 day.

C Jodry
Managing Editor
Avsim.com

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?85975-AVSIM-Down-%28again%29&s=9a9c7b5f0a10e46664d2641ae301dd31&p=872467&viewfull=1#post872467

if it takes them to restore from scratch about a day

your probably looking at 3-4TB of data

3-4TB DB's if not maintained properly

will get tangled and have bottlenecks

hence the slowdown with each click

sure; this could be contributed by hardware and or licensing limitation as well

Still looks out of whack. List of Latest Forum Topics on the main page does not seem to have changed since last evening, though there is this morning the new entry there for Friday library updates. When I made a post attempt on a topic I got an error message that it was not processed as it was posted too quick. Appears to be a timing issue. ex. my post was perhaps recognized as occurring before the post I was responding to.

Just wondering why a big site like avsim which also is getting money for hosting support forums doesn't use a ha cluster.

More wondering if there is a backupsystem existend at all with a good documentation of installing process and needed files.

HA cluster may be some more expensive for the hardware but when combined with load balancing also performance is greatly increased. But a daily backup and proper documentation is essential to all it systems I think and is pretty cheap...

"When we brought the system online this morning the clock was set for 2008. We reset it, but got the date wrong (the 14th instead of the 13th). By the time we caught that, a number of posts had been made and all of this will clear out tomorrow evening. We don’t have the ability to go in and change the date of the posts, believe it or not. Just let it take its course and come tomorrow night, everything should be good. That also explains why the RECENTLY DISCUSSED TOPICS is not reacting to new posts; they were posted to tomorrow, so posts being made today are not be recognized as "new"."

Archived