AVSIM Site DOWN...please read...

alpha117

Never heard about having to replace ALL drives on an array.

there are different level of RAID 0-6 & 10

each level has its pro and cons

not all RAID levels offer physical disk redundancy,

some RAID configurations designed to enhance performance

0-1 are simple volume spanning across multiple disks for increased storage space with no recovery options!

furthermore not all RAID configuration allow more than one physical disk failure; if any,

with RAID 6 you can lose up to two physical drives and rebuild from parity;

that is the max you can lose on a single physical array!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that they need a disaster recovery plan implemented and more importantly an offsite data center for replication and failover. But what do I know.....

The initial investment is rather large. But your ROI through avoidable outages and downtime will offset the cost rather quickly. Especially when long term financing with a $1 buyout of the equipment is easily obtainable.

It is a RAID array and will require that we replace ALL six disks on that array.

Never heard such rubbish. One disk breaking in a striped array means the *data* is lost, but needing to replace all the drives because one failed? No.

I get the impression Tom doesn't have a clue what he is talking about (it was apparent in the thread about image management where I told him exactly what he needed to do to reduce server load on that side). Not going to hold it against him, but he really needs to find people who *DO* know what they are talking about (it seems at present he is being given very bad info by whoever is advising him).

Best regards,

Robin.

@Robin

i wasn't going to say anything, since you brought it up

that was the general impression i got from dealing with Tom on another issue a while back

imo the lack of professional conduct goes farther than just server side management on AVSIM

but thats just my subjective opinion

i also tried to help them several times with their forum software (you know, those doublepost problems) but they ignored me. the problems increased and now its offline for a couple of days already due to another harddisk failure. i would change server if i would have those problems.

• Aerosoft

there are different level of RAID 0-6 & 10

each level has its pro and cons

not all RAID levels offer physical disk redundancy,

But serious, running the root disk of a website as big as AVSIM (with commercial support being done on it!) with single failure disks raid seems to be a very strange thing. And it still does not explain six disks being changed.

• Aerosoft

Never heard such rubbish. One disk breaking in a striped array means the *data* is lost, but needing to replace all the drives because one failed? No.

I get the impression Tom doesn't have a clue what he is talking about (it was apparent in the thread about image management where I told him exactly what he needed to do to reduce server load on that side). Not going to hold it against him, but he really needs to find people who *DO* know what they are talking about (it seems at present he is being given very bad info by whoever is advising him).

Best regards,

Robin.

Easy guys... Tom's a friend. It's a strange story but Tom does know what he is doing.

But serious, running the root disk of a website as big as AVSIM (with commercial support being done on it!) with single failure disks raid seems to be a very strange thing. And it still does not explain six disks being changed.

Whatever it is I'll just be glad when Tom get's it back online, and I'm confident he will get it back online soon.... ;)

Tom had his fingers severly burnt a few years ago by a so-called "expert" when that English idiot tried to take out the entire site, and very nearly succeded. Since then, it would seem that Tom has had some difficulties knowing which technical advice to follow and which to ignore. It is understandable if unpleasent to watch, but all we can do is wish him well in his current difficulties.

I hope they can fix this problem what ever problem it is, there is a ton of peoples using Avsim for all kind of reasons, Avsim is a good place for all simmers with problems or just to hang there if this is your cup of tea.

Good luck Tom.

Lol!

Alain, is it about

- flightsim issues in general (least severe)

- personal issues (more severe)

- or ORBX issues in particular (most severe)? :lol:

Hahaha, none of the above, I'm not a member anymore, I asked for my Avsim's account to be deleted some times ago.

OMG...i hope that the AVSIM-Forum will be online, soon. For me, it´s important to checkt the PMDG forum, which is AVSIM, for new updates etc. Hmmm...very strange that they need so much time to fix the problem.

:comp1_s:

But after all these days things are getting weirder and weirder. Inserting new disks and spooling in a backup should be done in a day or two at most. Anybody know anything more?

Yes, you´re right. It´s hard to believe that there is "only" a hardware problem etc. It seems like this forum is totally gone..... i think it´s time for PMDG, and all the other companies with AVSIM-Forums, to tell us their plans for the next days... :confused_s:

• Deputy Sheriffs

From today morning:

We have an engineer there at the moment and are hoping to have the system back online today. Nothing has gone easy since this whole thing started. Tom will post a full story on it once we are back online.

C Jodry
Managing Editor
Avsim.com

Source: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?85975-AVSIM-Down-%28again%29&s=45c962cbd0f09fa12eac6c1177526bb9&p=872290&viewfull=1#post872290

Archived