Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Aerosoft

The flight model will be fully overhauled as we learned a lot of new things since the last one. The engines most certainly will be very different and as realistic as the turboprops on the Bronco (which we still think ate the most realistic in FSX to date). We also like to get that 'waddling' effect a bit more noticeable at the lowest speeds.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Aerosoft

The Bronco X waddles for sure at low speeds. ;)

Indeed it does, the current Twotter is too stable at these very low speeds, it really should feel like you are just flying and should behave slower to all inputs. It's a hard thing to get right in FS but we think we know how to do that.

Can't wait for this one. You guys put together a great product with some of the best flight and systems modelling in the industry and somehow manage to be light on frames at the same time. I'm still waiting for someone to put out a quality DC-3/C-47, but an Aerosoft Twotter is most definitely the next best thing. Hope it's a great success for you Finn, Mathijs, and team.

Indeed it does, the current Twotter is too stable at these very low speeds, it really should feel like you are just flying and should behave slower to all inputs. It's a hard thing to get right in FS but we think we know how to do that.

Yes it is a bit stable but that's okay. Funny you should say waddling. I can still hear one training captain chewing out an F/O while I was observing....."dammit man, stomp on them rudders. This thing's not a duck. No waddling!...." Very intimidating on a young F/O.... Lol. You do have to manhandle that thing at low airspeeds though. Don't get me started on low speeds with a crosswind.....

Me too. :D

I'm not a very big fan of old steam-gauge airliners, but a top quality DC-3 would be a sure buy for me!

On topic; this new Twotter will be a no-brainer as well. Will buy on release day.

GPWS callouts? Of course it is possible to equip a Twotter with systems that do allow this but it is not standard equipment for sure. In fact I have never seen a Twotter that has it. Now I do have seen on Twotter with TCAS, but again this is far from standard equipment. As I have said we love the Twin Otter because it is such a nice simple aircraft and we'll keep it that way.

I just thought of something funny, landing a GPWS equipped Twin Otter at Lukla...

On the rest of the list I suggest you wait until we have released. Some things might happen, but I doubt all of them.

Hi Mathijs

For Otters flying in Europe under EASA rules it is mandatory to carry EGPWS (TAWS) due to the passenger numbers of 19 or more. It is not however mandatory to carry TCAS.

Both of our Otters are EGPWS equiped. One with a neat Sandell ST3400 :)

Regards

Stuart

• Deputy Sheriffs

Regarding the integration of the Reality XP GPS, it stands a great chance that we will make that an option, but if - then the GNS 430.

Hi Finn,

I am really happy to hear this!

And as owner of only a GNS530 I would even be more happy if you made it a user choice which one to use, 430 or 530. ;)

RealAir does this very elegantly for example.

Hi Finn,

I am really happy to hear this!

And as owner of only a GNS530 I would even be more happy if you made it a user choice which one to use, 430 or 530. ;)

RealAir does this very elegantly for example.

I imagine it's more a question of what will fit into space that's already available. A 530 could necessitate a major panel redesign.

Shoot... A 530...What luxury.... Finn and the crew could always simulate a 530 mounted on the center junction of the "Y" shaped control column. That way, we keep the originality of the panel but add a lil modern flair.... Either way, my credit card is waiting...

I don't think you would see a 530 on the yoke column since it is not a self contained unit but rather designed to go in the panel. I would expect to see a handheld unit like the 295 on the yoke if that were the case. Either way, I think the 430 is a good match for the panel. A 530 would be nice for the viewing area but it is so much larger that another radio unit would have to be removed to make way for it.

Echoing what everyone else has said though, I am buying either way. This will be fantastic!

I do hope we have a more standard six-pack instrument layout though

Hey guys,

Just wondering if it's too late to make a request for a livery with the initial basepack release. There's an airline called Grenadine Airways in the southern caribbean. It's just a few years old (the airline) and fairly new but they have 5 Twotters, J8-VBQ, J8-VBS, J8-SUN, J8-MUS and the seasonal J8-GAL, all registered in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

http://www.plane-mad.com/aviation-photos/view/grenadine-airways/de-havilland-canada-dhc-6/union-island/15545.html

Here's one of the flagships in their new livery. If this is possible, I should be able to get more detailed photos for a repainter to do the job. The twotters all have unique names painted on the port side of their noses (e.g J8-VBS is called Endeavour). I'm thinking this would compliment FlyTampa's Grenadines scenery very well. Just a thought...

Cheers.

• Aerosoft

Ahhhh, yeah forgot. Stefan (the modeler) is out for a few days but when he is back I'll post new shots.

The first flight model is done though and it is one of the best I have seen to date. Like the Bronco this will be an aircraft where the engines will be very special.

The new Twotter looks great!

I gotta ask this: Any chance of rain on windshield?

I know its not easy to do in FSX, but it really should be mandatory on 'bush planes'.

Ahhhh, yeah forgot. Stefan (the modeler) is out for a few days but when he is back I'll post new shots.

The first flight model is done though and it is one of the best I have seen to date. Like the Bronco this will be an aircraft where the engines will be very special.

Sounds good! I hope that this will also fix the issue with the "jumping" plane if you return the throttle to “idle” after using the reversers.

I often use the Twin Otter on floats and I find it very annoying that is „jumps“ ahead whenever I use the reversers...

• Aerosoft

The new Twotter looks great!

I gotta ask this: Any chance of rain on windshield?

I know its not easy to do in FSX, but it really should be mandatory on 'bush planes'.

The only time I seen that done realistic it cut FPS in the VC by 50%. You are not willing to loose that amount of FPS for something like that.

Archived