Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Holy cow! The best flight sim news in years! This is my all time favourite aircraft and I can't wait to get a better version of it for the sim. The current version is OK, but definetly has room for some improvement. I used to fly these a lot when Widerøe's Flyveselskap and the RNoAF operated them in Norway:

My hopes in terms of improvements:

* If not all systems are simulates, at least make all buttons and swithches animated so they can be used for procedural simulation.

* Sound. This is the weakest area of the current version in my opinion. Especially the sound at full take off power is lacking the intense "humming" of the real aircraft. I also hope you manage to replicate some of the other distinct Twin Otter sounds like the ones heard here:

Listen to the "flapping" noise of the profellers spinning, the "whining" noise at 0:13 into this video (And in the end while taxiing from 13:19 - 14:12), and the propeller noise at the very end 14:12-14:15 - All very distinct Twotter sounds:

The above video also has a very good recording of the take off sound, although it lacks the lower tones/bass (video cameras are usually bad at recording bass sounds).

Good luck with the project! My credit card will be right here waiting.

I am in agreement. Excellent news on the new Twotter. You just made us caribbean flyers the happiest simmers in the world. Now half of our fleet is complete. Oh, for that Dornier DO228...... (hint, hint Mathijs)

I think you guys need to get Mr. Petersen and the boys at Turbine Sound Studios on this sound package. These guys are the absolute bosses at what they do and it's awesome! And in HD too! Just a suggestion. Cheers.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Aerosoft

Just to show that our star modeler Stefan is back on the Twotter.... The first exports and wrapping with textures has started. Clearly a long way to go, but we can already say there is no better 3d model of a Twin Otter available. In fact, some professional companies have already asked about it.

post-43-0-76975200-1339174890_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26885200-1339174895_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-46673100-1339174900_thumb.jpg

Please please please tell me that nose wheel turning mid-air will be fixed and the animation isn't complete yet. The current version is also like this, nose wheel turns mid-air with the rudder and it's quite annoying.

VUc9xl.jpg

@Mathijs - will this model contain air stairs?

I agree with the chap above that the old models animation seemed to be linked to the rudder, the nose wheel only turned slightly aswell (the animation that is, not the turning radius)

Hey guys,

Got a question. I noticed you guys are doing the three bladed and four bladed prop versions for the -300. Will you guys be producing 2 HD sound packages for the models? I really do not think "one size fits all" will work this time. The 4 bladed prop model has a waaay different higher pitch whine on full throttle than the 3 bladed model. They both sound close to each other on startup and idle (4 blades throttle slightly higher pitch) and shutdown. I also support the motion to "kill" the nosewheel's movement in flight with rudder applied. I just think these little things will add to the quality of the finished product.

• Aerosoft

Please please please tell me that nose wheel turning mid-air will be fixed and the animation isn't complete yet. The current version is also like this, nose wheel turns mid-air with the rudder and it's quite annoying.

VUc9xl.jpg

Mmmm I have to check on that, but at least one document I got here clearly states there is no on ground/in air sensor that could disconnect nose wheel steering. Perhaps there are differences in version with this. I'll find out.

• Aerosoft

@Mathijs - will this model contain air stairs?

I agree with the chap above that the old models animation seemed to be linked to the rudder, the nose wheel only turned slightly aswell (the animation that is, not the turning radius)

Not sure on the airstairs, but if the one we did the photo shoot on has it it will be included.

Thats near enough for me, still have plenty of other addons to explore in the mean time

+1, looking forward to it though!

Hey guys,

Got a question. I noticed you guys are doing the three bladed and four bladed prop versions for the -300. Will you guys be producing 2 HD sound packages for the models? I really do not think "one size fits all" will work this time. The 4 bladed prop model has a waaay different higher pitch whine on full throttle than the 3 bladed model. They both sound close to each other on startup and idle (4 blades throttle slightly higher pitch) and shutdown. I also support the motion to "kill" the nosewheel's movement in flight with rudder applied. I just think these little things will add to the quality of the finished product.

@ Mathijs,

Any replies? The weakest part of quality addons these days seems to be the sound package. Forgive me for asking but I'm one of those simmers who likes to be immersed in quality sound on my Logitech Z5500 when simming, from startup to shutdown. Your work is top notch. The previous Twin Otter sound was okay but there was a lot of room for improvement. Kudos to you for excellence in your work.

• Aerosoft

I think we'll stick to one sound set. I do know the sounds are different but it is not easy to do a sound recording, you need a LOT of assistance for the aircraft owners. It's also very expensive. But there are always many sound sets you can buy, perhaps there is one that fits.

• Aerosoft

What is not really visible in those pictures, but will be very noticeable in the release version is how the fuselage panels overlap (from top to bottom they are like roof tiles to avoid water leaking in). I think this has never been done in any aircraft. It creates a far more 3d feel of the fuselage.

That sound pretty much perfect for a Twotter, they're not like a fighter where every panel is flush fitting. Yo're making these coming months seems longer now Mathijs.

Archived