Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Aerosoft

Hey Mathijs,

Does that Twotter you guys based your model on have Raisbeck engineering mods? Or did they just swap the original 3 bladers for 4 bladers? I've been looking at some pics on the internet of it and it crossed my mind to ask.

I love this bird. F-GKHM. Definitely Raisbeck modified. See the way it rides a little higher on the main gear and slightly nose low? Maximises the airflow over the wings, making for some awesome STOL takeoffs. We had that done to our Twotters even though they don't have the mods. Got a 5% increase in takeoff performance and a little more margin for error in the way of over-rotation for a rookie f/o. Also there's better pilot visiblity down the nose without having to top out the seats. :)

Cheers.

Amazing how the main gear lifts before the nosegear!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how the main gear lifts before the nosegear!

That was a flaps 20 takeoff. This was a training flight so the aircraft would be empty hence the awesome performance. You can basically "helicopter" the plane off the runway in this configuration. Even better with a good 10-15 knot headwind.

A few words about the Autopilot...

While the autopilot seems to be very basic, it still has some non FSX default features

The Autopilot itself has the following functions, where most are default:

Autopilot on, but no other modes selected:

The autopilot will be in full manual mode, this means that pitch and bank can be set with the help of a small knob/thumbwheel on the Yokebar.

This way the aircraft can be set to a desired attitude in both pitch and bank.

Lateral modes:

HDG Button (toggle):

The aircraft will aquire and hold the heading set on the HSI with the Hdg knob and shown with a heading bug.

NAV Button (toggle):

The aircraft will aquire and hold an ILS localiser or follow a VOR radial set on the HSI with the course knob.

This mode has a submode called DEAD REC. This kicks in on station passage where the VOR signal cannot be recieved.

It will fly the aircraft on the last known heading until the signal is recieved again. The DEAD REC light will be lit when active.

APPR Button (toggle):

Approach mode, where the aircraft will aquire both the ILS localiser and the glideslope.

B/C Button (toggle):

Backcourse mode, where the aircraft can follow the reciprocal course of an ILS localiser in conjunction with the Approach mode.

When a lateral mode has been selected with no vertical mode active, the pitch mode will remain in autopilot manual mode.

This means that pitch attitude can be set with the thumbwheel on the Youkebase.

Vertical modes:

ALT (toggle):

Altitude hold will keep the altitude that existed when altitude hold mode was selected.

IAS(toggle):

Airspeed hold mode will pitch the aircraft up or down inorder to keep the indicated airspeed when IAS mode was selected.

If a vertical mode has been selected with no lateral mode active, the bank mode will be in autopilot manual mode.

This means that bank can be set with the knob on the Yokebase.

Note that APPR mode is both a lateral and a vertical mode.

Connected to the Autopilot You will find the altitude alerter. This unit will give an audible cue when You are 1000 ft from the altitude selected on the unit. A light will be lit when the altitude is less than 1000 ft from the target altitude set and until 300 ft within this value.

ALT ALRT Button (toggle):

Setting an altitude on the alerter and pressing the ALT ALRT button will enage altitude hold once the target altitude set on the altitude alerter has been reached.

ALT ALRT mode will automatically be canceled once altitude mode has been enaged.

MDA Button (toggle):

Pressing the MDA button during an approach, with the minimum descend altitude set on the altitude alerter, and with the autopilot engaged, will trigger the altitude hold function to engage and cancel the approach mode, if engaged, when the aircraft descends to the altitude set on the alerter.

MDA mode will be canceld right after engaging altitude hold mode

GA Button (toggle):

Pressing the GA button will cancel the approach mode, if engaged, and command a pitch up attitude of 8°.

This mode will be active until the autopilot has been turned off or another vertical mode is selected.

The flight director bars will give command cues for all modes, except tha autopilot manual pitch and bank modes.

Finn

Good Lord!!! That looks......pristine!!!! Need a new hinge system for my lower jaw........better yet a jaw transplant.... Somehow, "well done" and "excellent work" just don't cut it.... SPLENDERRIFIC JOB, GUYS!!!!!

Good Lord!!! That looks......pristine!!!! Need a new hinge system for my lower jaw........better yet a jaw transplant.... Somehow, "well done" and "excellent work" just don't cut it.... SPLENDERRIFIC JOB, GUYS!!!!!

Short version: Gosh!

is it going to be that clean looking? it needs to be dirtied up just a bit.. other than that.. I'm very excited about this plane.!

Again we must emphasize ..... Beta preview, Work In Progress.

It´s far from finished. It needs to be clean in order to get dirty ;)

Finn

• Deputy Sheriffs

is it going to be that clean looking? it needs to be dirtied up just a bit.. other than that.. I'm very excited about this plane.!

If you look at the pictures again you will see that there are no textures added yet, just shading. The textures will make the VC come to life.

If you look at the pictures again you will see that there are no textures added yet, just shading. The textures will make the VC come to life.

obviously some have no idea how things work,,!

But it is also the reason why I´m not too big of a fan showing preview screenshots at this early state.

People with insight on these things can easily imagine what this will become.

People without can only see what is shown and will judge it on that.

Finn

yip me too matt. I like the prestine look... So "new".

I can kinda almost imagine getting inside smelling that new cockpit, just taking delivery of the plane..!!.

So how about letting us also have a "prestine" version

yip me too matt. I like the prestine look... So "new".

I can kinda almost imagine getting inside smelling that new cockpit, just taking delivery of the plane..!!.

So how about letting us also have a "prestine" version

If only your car was like that eh? :hi2_s:

Archived