Forum Maintenance Period (02/05 - 03/05) ×

How Online Are You?

How online are you?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Is your main FS machine always connected to the internet?

• Almost always
    • Sometimes
    • Almost never
  2. 2. Do you dowload real weather for FS?

• Almost always
    • Sometime
    • Almost never
  3. 3. Do you use VATSIM, IVAO (or something simular)

• Almost always
    • Sometimes
    • Almost never
  4. 4. How many things in your house are connected to the internet? (computers, telephones, televisions, digital receivers, camera's etc etc). Do check it is most likely FAR more then you think.

• < 5
    • 5 <> 10
    • > 10

• Aerosoft

Gentlemen, we know it's rather limited to poll how online people using an online medium but we still like to learn a bit more about this. We'll give out a free download every day to somebody who clicked the boxes AND left us a comment with some additional thoughts on this topic.

And NO this is not to find out if our new simulator should require an always on connection.

The question on how many things are connected to the internet is an important one for us. It's NOT an easy one to answer however. The few people I asked this all had problems getting a quick reply. Here is the list for my household/home office

• 4 PCs
  • 1 Server
  • 2 Laptops
  • 1 iPad
  • 1 Voip phone
  • 1 Xbox
  • 1 PS3
  • 1 Wii
  • 1 Media Player
  • 3 Mobile phones
  • 2 Sat receivers
  • 2 TVs
  • 1 Heating system
  • 1 Car

So that's a massive 22 devices (and I think I am missing some). Far more then I expected. And though I got a large household with kids and a home office, it is not at all exuberant in this aspect. Almost all new TV's can go online, even fridges are getting more connected all the time.

I have to admit that I'm still suprised that the box market for Flightsim product still flourishes, but it does. I have to think that with the growth of the internet at some point it will start to fall off quite dramatically. However, I think I've been wrong up until now, so I might as well keep going with my track record.

In terms of access to the net I do wonder how much of the access is coming from Apple products. Apple something of a dead platform for Flightsim (or at least Microsoft based product). With two Mac Book Pros in the house, an Iphone and two Itouchs personally that's increasing fast, and most of those were added over the past twelve months.

Haha :D

Here's what I can count right now...

- 2 PCs

- 5 Laptops

- 5 mobile phones

- 1 Wii

- 3 Sat Receiver3

- 1 Media Player

- 2 Climate systems

- 2 Cars

- 1 IP phone

- 3 TVs

= TOTAL 25 :o

Very good topic actually. I wasn't aware of how addicted we actually are to "being online". And I certainly did not expect that ammount of devices in my home! This must be the surprise of the day. Or maybe not. I spoke to some friends yesterday about saying congratulations to other people on their birthday. Years ago you had to make a call or send a letter. Today it's so easy - you just go on facebook and write a note or send an sms. I never got so many greetings like it did this year! Being online make things so easy.

Looking very much forward to see other people reply on this topic.

Fortunately my house is in the middle of nowhere, so need of dogs here B)

Really interesting topic:

2 PCs

2 Notebooks

2 Cellphones

1 Wii

1 VOIP Phone

1 Kindle (limited access)

What was 250KB/up max. only 3 years ago, enhanced to 15MB up/2MB down (!) in a rather short period. So the worldwide coverage is even getting much better in less developed countries where you didn't expect it. Many houses here don't have running water but at least one internet connected device!

Just 2 days ago there has been a nice online article in Germany's "Der Spiegel" Magazine about people trying to "unplug" from the internet. Not an easy task it seems:

http://www.spiegel.d.../gesellschaft/0,1518,707213,00.html

Bests,

Sascha

Very intresting topic, I have:

1 Desktop PC

1 Laptop

1 Netbook

1 Cellphone

1 IP Phone

1 Kindle

All of them except for the Desktop PC are connected by Wifi. Now I'm sitting here in a student dorm room and a question that comes to my mind regularly is: Is it decadent to have Wifi in a 12m² apartment :ph34r::rolleyes:

Regards

Markus

Well Since I have a single houshold, i do not have 25 Devices online.

But there are 5(6) at the moment:

• 1 PC
  • 1 Notebook
  • 1 Netbook
  • 2 Mobile Phones
  • and 1 PS3

But I love my Gadgets and use them often  :)

Mathijs:

Total of one through my desktop. When I go into a working expedition I use an old laptop through the wireless. But that is it.

Also, I use FS with the weather online but I avoid its own. Too dull. Aerosoft new simulator should bring its own weather online even if supplied by others and better be free too. I can hear the complains already. Free? Free.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

MAB

I'm very ashamed, that I could finally count just 3 or 4 devices...

I feel very poor about that. My life seems to be very boring without all the gadgets :lol:

We have one stationary PC and a laptop.

My normal telephone runs also via internet, don't know if that counts.

And yes, my wife has an IPhone :wacko: But we got an old one for free... ^_^

My cell phone does NOT have internet connection :lol:

So please don't tease me for having less then 10 gadgets :lol::lol::lol:

Wow, how come everybody has so much devices connected to the internet... We got:

- 2 laptops;

- 2 desktops (of which one is almost never used);

- 3 cell phones.

That's a total of 7. I've got stuff that can connect to a network, such a printer, but they do not connect to the internet. Television is simple cable, no internet connection there. Same goes for our radios and such.

When in FS, I hardly use the online weather. For review purposes I always use either Clear Skies or Fair Weather, but the online weather fetching always gives me nasty surprises, so I tend not to use it.

It's staggering, the amount of devices that can connect, including many that I had no idea could connect... Always makes me think what would happen if internet would suddenly stop working. nothing in the house would work anymore. I am a bit against having everything connected to the internet and I don't quite like the thought of it.

• Upvote 1

Wow, how come everybody has so much devices connected to the internet... We got:

- 2 laptops;

- 2 desktops (of which one is almost never used);

- 3 cell phones.

That's a total of 7. I've got stuff that can connect to a network, such a printer, but they do not connect to the internet. Television is simple cable, no internet connection there. Same goes for our radios and such.

When in FS, I hardly use the online weather. For review purposes I always use either Clear Skies or Fair Weather, but the online weather fetching always gives me nasty surprises, so I tend not to use it.

It's staggering, the amount of devices that can connect, including many that I had no idea could connect... Always makes me think what would happen if internet would suddenly stop working. nothing in the house would work anymore. I am a bit against having everything connected to the internet and I don't quite like the thought of it.

5 Computers

2 laptops

1 Wii

1 Playstation 2

1 Xbox 360

3 iPhones

2 Nintendo DS

1 iTouch

5 Internet connected televisions

1 Centralized Wi-Fi Printer/Copier

Haha i like the idea of online fridges. Even veggies need facebook eh? :D

Hmm but yes this made me realize alot more than five ddevices which i originally though was the total count :blink:

At my place we have...

2 macbook pros

2 homebuilt pc desktops( one has had internet trouble, so has not been connected for awhile)

2 iphones

1 regular cell

1 ipad

I xbox 360

1 psp

2 comcast cable box( not sure if this counts) for the tvs

I think thats it....

We also have 2 home phones, not sure if they are connected

Now that i use REX with the weather tool, i always load real world weathe automatically without changing it in freeflight. I seldom use multiplayer anymore, sometimes when my friend is online. i also use Steam sometimes for my other gaming uses, but most are on xbox. We have the newest wifi elite xbox 360.

Liam

I have the following online...

3 Laptops.

1 FSX Desktop PC.

1 Media Centre PC.

2 servers. (web & email incase you're wondering!)

2 Smartphones (PDAs).

1 'normal' mobile phone.

Amazing, I didn't realise until I tried counting them up! ohmy.gif

Oh also, if anyone asks me to fix their computer (I'm an IT Consultant) that would also be online occasionally, and if we have any visitors with a laptop or smartphone!

(edit! Just remembered while reading the other responses, that the Sky + HD box has an ethernet port, although its not connected as yet, as the Sky Anytime + service hasn't started yet! (might plug it in and see if it does anything!!)

i think ive got

- 1pc

-2 laptops

-2 satellite recievers

-1 xbox (which is slowly taking over my lifewink.gif )

other than that nothing to my knowledge. 2 days ago my internet was off for a whole day, i live in the middle of nowhere so ive got internet that goes through radio waves( or something, im not to sure) but it is the only way i can get highspeed where i live it regularly fluxuates the speed, and is a pain in the ass angry.gif . But yea my internet was off for the whole day. i was bored as hell. No forums to check on, youtube, no xbox live etc etc. I had to actually go outsidemellow.gif Made me realise how much i depend on the damn thing. tongue.gif

Cheers

Duco

• Aerosoft

Haha i like the idea of online fridges. Even veggies need facebook eh? :D

Yeah I also thought the fridge connection to be funny. But no longer.

We got some friends in Paris who are part of a consumer test group that has a new (let me not name the brand here) fridge. When somebody takes the last bit of the mustard they hold up the barcode to the scanner and the fridge knows the mustard is empty. The next time they get to the supermarket (a few different kinds are included) there is a carton waiting for them with these non perishable stuff. They can also click on the fridge to have it delivered home. Now in a household with 12 people (we got summer guests) it would be a lifesaver if the fridge knows to keep 12 beers in stock. These test people also are getting microwaves that are connected. Take a frozen rack of lamb out of the freezer, scan it, and scan it again at the microwave. The microwave now knows what is is, what temperature is was at and you only got to tell it at what time it should be defrosted.

I am a big fan of IT that's invisible. If I record TopGear on Sunday evening I want it to be available on all my devices on Monday without me having to jump through hoops. If my fridge knows I am on average use 3 beers a day It should order more when stock is low. If it sees I am using loads more over the cause of a few days because we got guests it should order more. If it sees the weather will be very hot and there is a F1 race that weekend it should know to order a few more. So what if I decide to see the race at a friend? The fridge knows how many beers there are.

Heck, my heating system knows at what time to heat the house and it looks for weather forcast to see if it makes sense to use gas to heat the water or to wait for the sun to heat it in a few hours. That's just combining data, easy as chips. And you can buy that now. I got it. Saves me money. I can also tell it from my iPhone we'll be home late so it does make no sense to have 300 liter of warm water or a heated house. But that's all peanuts. Google knows where my phone is, if I am 1200 Km from my office as I am now, it should tell my heating system there is no use to have my office heated. It should also know I got a meeting there Saturday morning 11:00 and that the office should be at 21 degrees.

That's all not rocket science, it's just combining things. And I want it. I want it now. I do not need to see online how many beers there are in my fridge, it can take care of that. Just as my phone will warn me in time when my wife's birthday is coming up. My brain is needed for more vital stuff. Like who will win the Tour De France or what bit to buy next for the Lotus.

• Upvote 1

1 (in words- ONE) - Desktop PC

Internet is still expensive "thingy" in my country. Especially for mobile phones. Few years ago it was only one internet provider with 56k possible connection.

This is indeed a very interesting topic. What I counted so far:

3 Desktop-PC

2 Laptops

2 Mobilephones (Mine is a very simple one - I think, for a camera, one should use a camera and not a cell phone. Same for mp3 and Internet)

That's all. We've got an old TV and an extractor hood which can not connect to Facebook and send the recipe for the meal, I'm cooking :rolleyes:

I personally think, it has many advantages. You say your fridge what you want to eat for dinner and it orders the ingredients you need while it sends to your oven the temperature the meal needs, simultaneous your account twitters you're cooking...

But- Do we need it? I don't think so. A TV which can connect to your network is useful, but a fridge with Internet? :D We'll get more and more fat, because we don't have to go shopping - the wardrobe does it for us.

Just my opinion.

Chris