How Online Are You?

How online are you?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Is your main FS machine always connected to the internet?

• Almost always
    • Sometimes
    • Almost never
  2. 2. Do you dowload real weather for FS?

• Almost always
    • Sometime
    • Almost never
  3. 3. Do you use VATSIM, IVAO (or something simular)

• Almost always
    • Sometimes
    • Almost never
  4. 4. How many things in your house are connected to the internet? (computers, telephones, televisions, digital receivers, camera's etc etc). Do check it is most likely FAR more then you think.

• < 5
    • 5 <> 10
    • > 10

5 laptops (two are really old, about 2000 to '02 builds, and one can't get online)

3 desktops (none are on or working) going to be 4 (1 working) when I build my FSX rig

1 PSP

2 DSs

1 Wii

1 really old iMac ('99 or '02, not sure, got it from my grandma 2 or 3 years ago, got a Macbook afterword,) it's close to dying now

4 cell phones (none of them have texting or internet in the plan though, no one in the house uses any of that anyway)

1 magic jack internet phone (plugged in to the old laptop that can get online)

and 1 Epson WiFi printer.

and none of these are networked, at all.

I had cable TV till June of '07, I don't miss it at all, as long as there's internet I'm fine.

@Duco: It really is amazing how dependent we are on the internet, and I've had the internet turned off for a month before, on top of that I happened to do my first review during that time (the FSAddon Super Cub,) downloaded the file at a friend's house who happens to be less than 100 Meters from a collage (I got great band width there, 250.KB/s it took 20 minutes instead of 45 minutes at 100.BK/s,) and a few days later the internet got turned back on :lol: it's amazing how much life changes when the internet get's turned off :wacko:

• Aerosoft

I feel bad here for now.

1 PC, and one laptop.

At least one more laptop for my 4 year old very soon though. :)

Waleed, there is not need to feel bad. It's not a contest. There are many factors at play.

For example where you live. In France telephone and TV via your ASDL is very much pushed because of the huge rural areas. Almost all of these devices got IP connectivity these days.

For example how much money you got to spend. I don't think there is one TV under $1000 that does not have a connection option (which nobody seems to use). I got a sub 100 euro BlueRay player that has a network connection I never used, it just works as I want it).

For example if you go a home office. Six of my always connected devices are related to Aerosoft in some way.

• Aerosoft

1 (in words- ONE) - Desktop PC

Internet is still expensive "thingy" in my country. Especially for mobile phones. Few years ago it was only one internet provider with 56k possible connection.

Where are you located? This is very important for us to decide how much to depend on digital distribution.

• Aerosoft

2 Mobilephones (Mine is a very simple one - I think, for a camera, one should use a camera and not a cell phone. Same for mp3 and Internet)

oops, forgot. I also got a camera that has a wifi card and that can send it's images directly to the home server but can also send it to photo sites. That counts as being online.

and oops I forgot one more. My UPS has an IP and seems able to send me emails when the battry only has 12 seconds left.

Still looking for more machines that got an IP address.

• Aerosoft

oops, forgot. I also got a camera that has a wifi card and that can send it's images directly to the home server but can also send it to photo sites. That counts as being online.

and oops I forgot one more. My UPS has an IP and seems able to send me emails when the battry only has 12 seconds left.

Still looking for more machines that got an IP address.

oops one more, found a webcam with webserver (so it talks to the internet).

1 PC and 1-2 Laptops usually. (feel a bit old fashioned here - and I still read books made of paper ;) )

Will have VDSL soon though.

I have noticed that here (Germany) the amount of boxed FS products you can find in stores has gone down dramatically over the last year(s). 2 or 3 years ago FS addons were filling large sections in the shelfes, now you can often find something like 5 different boxes (mostly latest releases). On one hand I can understand this development, as I buy mostly downloads myself. On the other it might reduce some spontaneous purchases. For example some weeks ago after a bit of a frustrating day at work I thought I treat myself to Switzerland professional (which I always thought a bit expensive) and couldn't find it anywhere. So I ended up buying nothing (saved me the money, but not so good for you ;) ). When I buy a boxed product it is usually spontaneous when I'm in the shop anyway. When I buy a download it is usually after some "research" (looking at reviews, videos, screenshots etc.).

• Aerosoft

Croatia sad.gif

Okay, then tell me how easy you can find our products in boxed format in your country.

If I might be so bold.... if you are in a country that seems to lack behind in internet connectivity, take note of this. Right now I got relatives from Morocco here. They come from a provincial town on the edge of the Sahara and they commented my internet is dead slow. Now I have been at their location and they are right. They got faster, more stable internet connection for half the price as I got here in modern up to date France. It's the old law of jumping technology. They did not have any analog internet via POTS and moved to ADSL directly and got a better infrastructure then my region got.

3 desktops (+2 currently disconnected)

1 laptop

1 cell phone

1 voip phone

1 tv

1 dvd player

1 video camera

1 digital camera

1 all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner

2 mp3 players

most connected to local network.

And I live alone :)

• Aerosoft

3 desktops (+2 currently disconnected)

1 laptop

1 cell phone

1 voip phone

1 tv

1 dvd player

1 video camera

1 digital camera

1 all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner

2 mp3 players

most connected to local network.

And I live alone :)

Heck on your on you got to earn the nick name Tom 'DHCP' Constantine

Well, at my uni house (four students) we have:

2 Desktops PCs

4 Laptops

3 Xbox 360s

1 PS3

4 mobile phones

3 tvs

1 ipod touch

3 ipod classics

1 sat nav

1 digital camera

I'm probably missing some, and this doesn't include the assortment of gadgets that friends usually have over here. I guess that would add:

1-2 Laptops

anywhere up to about 5 mobile phones at times. (tend to be found behind sofas etc)

1 Nitendo Wii

So that would make it from between 23-31! Luckily we have unlimited internet downloads, otherwise we would be running up on heck of a bill!

• Upvote 1

Okay, then tell me how easy you can find our products in boxed format in your country.

If I might be so bold.... if you are in a country that seems to lack behind in internet connectivity, take note of this. Right now I got relatives from Morocco here. They come from a provincial town on the edge of the Sahara and they commented my internet is dead slow. Now I have been at their location and they are right. They got faster, more stable internet connection for half the price as I got here in modern up to date France. It's the old law of jumping technology. They did not have any analog internet via POTS and moved to ADSL directly and got a better infrastructure then my region got.

Thanks to T-Mobile i have very fast internet connection now.... But it is not cheap... i can't afford to have account for mobile phone...fridge and TV.

They just now started to implement 2+1 or those other packages where you can have TV,phone and internet in one account.

I have internet access at my home and at work... even have new, one year old optic cable ...but only one internet provider to choose.

No competition ..higher prices.

Hopefully Croatia will enter EU soon ...and all this monopol s%& will disapear.

Regarding boxed Aerosoft format ... I am sure that today you cannot buy (or find) your software in Croatian computer/games/books shops...and there are lots of simmers around here. Piracy is huge here. sad.gif

• Deputy Sheriffs

- 1 Server

- 1 Desktop

- 2 Notebooks

- 1 Blackberry

When discussing distribution via Internet it could also be of interest to know the available bandwith.

Okay, lets see:

- 3 PC's (one is my FSX rig, always connected. Otherwise REX can't download the latest weather)

- 1 netbook (used for surfing when I'm lazy, laying in bed, etc)

- 1 laptop (boring old thing, used for Power Points by by father)

- 1 WII (used by by little brother to play online)

- 1 Blackberry (used by my father, he still doesn't know that he needs an iPhone instead)

Our pet animal, my brother's fish, doesn't know how to use the internet. So, he doesn't have a connection.happy.gif

Bandwith/speed: 100Mbs, a few mounts ago we got really fast fiberglass internet.

They did not have any analog internet via POTS and moved to ADSL directly and got a better infrastructure then my region got.

Also keep in mind that Germany isn't well covered neither. Paderborn is one of those examples...

Even when I lived in Berlin 4 years ago I was limited to one (!) cable provider because large parts of the city weren't (and to my knowledge still aren't) connected to ADSL while in Trinidad I can choose between 4 ADSL and cable providers at more stable connections than in Berlin, even considering the wiring we got here (not counting in high trucks cutting down lines every few weeks).

highspeed.jpg

Bests,

Sascha

P.S.: Boxed distribution is zero here.

So very basic cell phone? No Internet connection that handles your television and/or land line telephone?

No, only my Desktop PC and Notebook. I use my cell phone only to telephone and my televison to watch tv :D (I could connect my tv to internet, but I don't know why I should do it)

No internet reqired

Small four person family uses this much of gadgets with internet connection:

* 1 Main computer which is used for simming

* 2 Laptops

* 1 Playstation 3

* 1 Xbox 360

* 1 Not-so-smartphone

* 1 Indeed smartphone

Total of 7, and a 2 mb/s internet connection.

I have 2 pc's, my main one which contains FSX is always connected when I use it. I use Active Sky Evolution so its updating the weather all the time. I dont have anything else connected to the net - no tv or mobile etc.

Rory

My Mac, and BT Vision are connected to the internet 24/7 (except for reboots).

My iPhone is always connected whenever I'm home

My FSX PC is purely that, an FSX PC and only connects to the internet when I'm flying. Occasionally it's connected for registration (which I hate doing on the PC), or the forced PC download (which I also hate).

The laptop is very rarely connected, or even switched on.

The other internet connectable gadgets in the house (not many) are very rarely connected also.

My main use for internet connection is the Mac, everything is done on the Mac, email, surfing, downloading, streaming youtube, on-line TV etc.