Preview: Aerosoft Twin Otter

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry...

Mathijs, it looks like you have the bumpmaps the wrong way round. The rivets look like the light is coming from underneath. Also - the stiffener ribbing/corrugation on the flaps and tailplanes needs more "bump" effect than the rivets. And maybe a little bit of bump to the tyres two, to make them look as if there is tread there?

She's looking good though.

Will you also be making the tyres bulge under weight when the plane is on the ground, rather than just sink into the pavement to simulate this? That would be cool (and it is possible - has been done before)

Only one additional request - please make sure this baby works with sp2 and acceleration. I've found to my cost that isn't the case with already purchased aircraft and sceneries, although happy to report no probs with the Beaver or Venice.

Cheers

Willy G

Cris;

I believe the bump-mapping is not completely done yet. If you look closely there's some arcs inside the "frames of rivets" that are not supposed to be there at all. I experimented a bit with the psd masters and ran them all through the imagetool batch process and came up with completely different results. If not run through the imagetool process the NVIDIA normal map filter will create a weird alpha channel on the image that gives weird results as shown. I've talked to Mathijs about this and it's gonna be fixed for sure.

Best

Roger that Dag.

For whosoever is on the dev team doing the paints, I am going to give away a little secret. My favourite source for textures. Visit this site and select "metal" / "Seams 'n Bolts" and you will see some very good close-up examples of aircraft rivetting (amongst many other useful texture patches for you paint programme).

Tip 2 - take a close look at the MS "Acelleration" Mustang bumpmaps - the Microsoft team did an excellent job on that plane - really excellent! (What's this? Me complimenting a default plane? :wink:)

I see what you mean, Dag, with the rivet-framed areas. Bump map making is probably more needful of painstaking work than other parts. You need several different layers because of the different kinds of bump. and merging the lot before conversion to dds often does strange things. Luckily we only need one bumpmap per model - unless you are doing differently aged and cared for models - even dirt (well a lot of it) will add it's own bumping...

Hey, there's a thought Aerosoft - are you considering a real "backwoods" skin? One which is "loved" a lot, but might have a lot of dents and bruises - or is that one for us painters later? :lol:

Chris;

If you like the bumps on the -51, then there'll be similar work on the twotter, I can imagine...... :roll: ..... and I'll leave it at that.... most likely :?

Best

Chris;

If you like the bumps on the -51, then there'll be similar work on the twotter, I can imagine...... :roll: ..... and I'll leave it at that.... most likely :?

Best

Ahem... :lol:

The model looks really nice. The winair livery on the other hand... Shame on the texture artist on that one! :lol: Purple? According to every single photo i have seen of Winair Twotters, the colour should be dark blue.

just my humble opinion of course. :wink: