Preview: Aerosoft Twin Otter

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Martin

If you have some spare cash, maybe look at getting TrackIR. I'm seriosuly tempted myself. This will let you effortlessly peer around, over, underneath the yoke. Just a thought!

Cheers

PPanPan

Hi Martin

If you have some spare cash, maybe look at getting TrackIR. I'm seriosuly tempted myself. This will let you effortlessly peer around, over, underneath the yoke. Just a thought!

Cheers

PPanPan

So you are saying.that the only effective way to fly this aircraft is to invest in something else?

The Yoke in the VC serves no purpose.. Its annoying distraction. Its jerky to boot.

:?

If aerosoft put out a Twotter without a yoke in the cockpit.. could you imagine the response they'd get? Developers get bashed for not putting aerials in the right place, or for not painting rivets in the right place.. so..

So you are saying.that the only effective way to fly this aircraft is to invest in something else?

No, I'm not saying that at all. It's all about personal choice and where you draw the line on the old 'investment in vs realism out' graph! For sure, the Twotter will be great to fly without TrackIR, no question. It will be better still (as will any aircraft) with TrackIR or a good yoke or rudder pedals or a throttle quadrant or a multi screen set up etc. etc. This is, of course, my own humble opinion.

I do have the TrackIR and it is not going to help you with regard to yoke problem. Further I have 4x 19" flat screens and the TrpleHead2go also 9 x GoFlight modules including the throttle quadrant, 4 headsets, Saitek yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant. for small aircraft I use some times the Saitec Cyborg evo force stick. I think this is enough hardware for the moment.

I like to fly with a 2D panel on my 4 th screen, so with the Beaver I sorted it out by copying the default Beaver panel into the Aerosoft Beaver.

Not ideal but it work.

Martin.

I do have the TrackIR and it is not going to help you with regard to yoke problem.

Wow, you have quite a set-up there Martin. I am intrigued though as to why you say TrackIR will not help. Does it not allow you to move your head up and down or side to side i.e. to see instruments behind the yoke?

This might be getting close to requiring a new thread, but:

I have TrackIR 4 and it partially solves the problem that you speak of. I'm still trying to set it up the way that I need it to be perfect, but it can be tricky to see around a big yoke. Really what you have to do to see the switches that are low under the yoke that you can't lean over to see, is to duck way down and then pause TrackIR (F9) then use the mouse. It is great for seeing instruments, gauges, etc; but I still occasionally use pop ups because they are just more convenient (IE, the 737 FMC). There are angles that are difficult. However, the yoke on the DHC-6 doesn't look like it would be too much in the way. Personally, I like the yoke there, but others might not.

mathjis,

please tell me yall will be changing the horriable looking glass?

will the glass be staying that color, looks weird to me, anyone else think so?

also any word on a retractable gear floater? PLEASE!!! I am so happy with the Beaver X and how you all have so many different version ski,float, wheel float, tundra ect,ect.

Would be a shame not to see every variable version of the twotter also, although i like what i am seeing the wheeled floater would be the one i would use the most! :D

mathjis,

please tell me yall will be changing the horriable looking glass?

will the glass be staying that color, looks weird to me, anyone else think so?

Yup, I agree. It does look rather green and unnatural. Would be a pity to release what otherwise looks like a superb aircraft with this glass effect.

Also, is there any chance that the engine instrument needles could behave a bit more realistically i.e. left and right indications are not identical and more importantly, you actually have to look at them from time to time to spot engine problems early. Without this, I find the engine instruments are little more than eye candy. What do you say Aerosoft?!

If there is no 2D cockpit I must look for some thing else. :evil:

Martin :evil:

Why not break with passé tradition and try something new? Believe me VC is the way to go. When you're up there, your field of view in reality is ABOVE the cockpit coaming. You scan the instruments every few seconds, but your eyes are very human and looking at the scenery. You are really only interested in the instruments if there's something amiss - that's why needle gauges are designed with coloured arcs or a "normal" position at the top - only worry if it's not in the green or not pointing in the same direction as the other needles. You can scan the panel every few seconds - green, no worries. Don't touch a working system - enjoy the ride. Red? Easy enough to select a static 2D panel from the panel view window.

Changing view in VC is easy: you just move your point of view with your thumb and quick centralise it with a dab at the space bar.

PS - I have used VC ever since we had them. FS5 was it? Earlier? If you have ever driven a heli or a glider or even a stiok-wing, t's just not normal not to.

If there is no 2D cockpit I must look for some thing else. :evil:

Well I agree 100% with Chris, even though I spend most of my time in 2D. Aerosoft's VC's are so nice there is little need for a 2D cockpit. However, I will certainly be adding one in. It is really quite easy. I added the default FSX beaver 2D into the aerosoft beaver too.

Not coming with a 2D cockpit is no reason to pass by a plane of this quality. I am looking forward to this plane more than any other plane from any developer. It is going to set new standards for quality and fun in FSX.

I'm still growing impatient though :P

Let me try to explain how I have my sim set up. My 4 19"screens are set up as a T. 3 screens next to each other this give me 1.2 meter wide panorama. The 4th panel is below the middle screen. In this 4 th screen I undock the 2D panel and my GPS pop-up. Now I can put in the top screens my VC. Next to th 4th screen, on either side, I have the GoFlight modules.

For me is this the best set up I can think of at the moment. But for this I need the 2D panel. Further I usually fly VFR, low and slow, and with my 8800GTX card and the 1.2 meter panorama it is nice to fly in the Himalayas or over the Nord sea, island hopping, using the Aerosoft German Airfields.

This is my setup and as a pensioner with plenty spare time I enjoy this every day.

Martin.

Why you fortunate man!

That's no problem then... Simply OPEN a 'new view' from the menu, select the cockpit view you desire THEN undock this VC panel view and move it to the lower screen.

If you cycle through the different VC views in FSX (press the "A" key) you get the different VC panels.

Also - with a separate VC view on a separate monitor, you can cycle through the different panel views there as well - throttle, nav, engine instruments... now THAT is an advantage you have over many others.

So don't worry about not having a 2D panel.

I often fly with a couple of "new view" windows open on my second screen - usually external chase and side views for aerobatics and other madness or moving maps, engine controls, AP etc... If the second 3D panel isn't constantly moving around you may not notice a frame hit. I usually fly "main view" without instruments anyway (barely the top three of the T visible) - who needs instruments anyway? That's what "Attention Getters" were invented for - then you go look see. And also why the basic T layout was adopted - your three most important instruments are nearest to your line of sight.

I'd love a triple-head one day, but there's only so many pounds in a month and I usually end up with more month.