Weather Radar & TCAS: Dysfunctional?

Fab10

Hi,

With ASP4 for P3D4 set to custom weather with heavy rain precipitation literally enveloping the aircraft, the CRJ's onboard weather radar fails to return anything. 

I've read that perhaps I'm not alone in noting this, and also to maybe not expect the WX returns as often shown by other products when near to inclement weather, so either it's not working or maybe I've missed something.

TCAS returns are also missing, even if TCAS self-tests "Pass".

Is the ND display behaving as expected in these regards?

Thanks,

Fabio

PS. As a secondary question, is there a way to scroll through the FMC waypoints on the ND the check ones route?

For me both work, with the WXR you have to set at least Gain at 2 and then turn the tilt up or down a fair amount depending on if the weather is above or below you. The TCAS also only seems to work at a certain range on the MFD, IIRC, around 20 and lower. You also need to press the TFC button next to the MFD range knobs. You also can scroll through the waypoints. You use the big knob on the MFD range knob to change to the "PLN" mode (not sure what it's called, but you'll know it when you see it) and then on the FMS you will use the FMS ADV key to cycle through.

Hi,

Many thanks, really appreciate your quick answer. 

The tutorial (I think) suggested that you zoom out to review the route, so I'm greatly pleased to hear scrolling is possible. 

I will check weather again tomorrow with renewed enthusiasm!

Best wishes,

Fabio

Hi,

TCAS OK now that I know what to set and look for.

However, still nothing at all on the weather radar despite dense rain set as overcast with CB's at my precise position (above, below, ahead, behind).

Whilst I (we) appreciate that realism is the goal, a radar that returns nothing in obviously stormy weather is of little use and probably unrealistic.

The attached JPG shows the CRJ700 with active weather radar on full gain and some positive tilt, yet it sees and reports nothing, whereas next to it is a 64-bit ASP4 SDK native weather radar that is showing decent returns.

Does the CRJ's WX radar require a sensitivity tweak?

Thanks,

Fabio

Please login to display this image.

I too have flown through thunder storms and as of yet have never seen anything on the radar.  Yes I moved to g +2 and yes I have AS for P3Dv4.  

Darcy

2 hours ago, Fab10 said:

Hi,

TCAS OK now that I know what to set and look for.

However, still nothing at all on the weather radar despite dense rain set as overcast with CB's at my precise position (above, below, ahead, behind).

Whilst I (we) appreciate that realism is the goal, a radar that returns nothing in obviously stormy weather is of little use and probably unrealistic.

The attached JPG shows the CRJ700 with active weather radar on full gain and some positive tilt, yet it sees and reports nothing, whereas next to it is a 64-bit ASP4 SDK native weather radar that is showing decent returns.

Thanks,

Fabio

It looks like you have your weather set in MAP mode. Try changing modes to WX.

Trevor

2 hours ago, TrevorS said:

It looks like you have your weather set in MAP mode. Try changing modes to WX.

Trevor

Tried with both, thanks though. 

Quite a few users are experience reluctant WX radar returns, so could a kind person post a screenie of the WX radar in action in P3D4?

It's great having realism, but if it's preventing aspects of the simulation shining through, then maybe the realism factor has been applied a touch over zealously?

The aircraft is great in all (most) other ways, BTW.

Fabio

Success!

I changed country to Norway from the UK (hopefully entirely unrelated) and the radar worked immediately in WX mode with MAP display when starting "ready to taxi" (as i just wanted to try the WXR).

To be fair to us (the users), the tutorial does say to use MAP mode (page 58/83), and probably we tried all combinations thereafter.

Anyway, as proof, and as per my own request, here's a screenshot of it in action....

I did see a few very small returns while inflight (in WX mode), but not nearly enough to be useful (I only saw the few small returns when I was basically in the middle of a thunderstorm).  I've tried pretty much all combinations of gain and tilt,  I'm using P3DV4 and ActiveSky.  I haven't seen anything in map mode, though I'm trying it in a current flight.

hello, same issue here, I tried different thunderstorms, map, wx .... and test mode, I saw nothing. It don^t work on my system: prepar3dv4. I think, its a bug. I used ActiveSky too and did all combinations like imemyself.

greetings.

Volker

I tried it again today at a damp EGHI, and I needed to max the gain and tilt to +6, but then it did return some precipitation ahead. 

For me it works but I am not sure its giving me accurate readings. It takes a while to show anything and when it does even if I bank the radar stays the same for several minutes. 

On 8/7/2017 at 11:51 AM, Fab10 said:

I tried it again today at a damp EGHI, and I needed to max the gain and tilt to +6, but then it did return some precipitation ahead. 

It works now?

btw, Hello fabio!

54 minutes ago, santipp said:

It works now?

btw, Hello fabio!

For me yes, although tonight I thought it might pickup something near LFSB but it stayed blank.

On 6.8.2017 at 3:54 PM, Fab10 said:

Probably. I use the same native AS16 SDK as the radar gauge that ships with it. However I went with the mid values for standard gain. It seems to me that I must shift my gain function to the upper 50% of the weather severity data returned by Activesky. It's on my to do list.

2 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Probably. I use the same native AS16 SDK as the radar gauge that ships with it. However I went with the mid values for standard gain. It seems to me that I must shift my gain function to the upper 50% of the weather severity data returned by Activesky. It's on my to do list.

Hi,

That's greatly appreciated, and I look forward to the update.

Do please know that I (we) thoroughly understand the move towards the mid-range WXR values in trying to deliver realism as that too is a worthwhile a goal, and good to have tried.

Best wishes,

Fabio

Every flight the wx radar worked as it should (with AS4). I never had the opportunity to test the tcas TA/RA yet, IVAO is so quiet the few last weeks ;-)

I think that gain should be generally increased.

Looking right into a thunderstorm I see green placards.

Turning the gain all up to +3 displays purple areas, just what I would expect for Normal gain setting.

This is offcourse totally without any firm knowledge about what would be realistically correct - just an observation and personal impression.

I get nothing on the radar, flying in the US. I tried different combinations of gain, either map or wx mode. I do have the terr/wx selected to wx as I see 'WX - or MAP' displayed in the MFD depending on what mode the radar is in.

Also test mode is supposed to display colored bands across the MFD. This did not happen for me. 

I had posted a question previously that had no replies regarding network setup a ASv4. I'm not sure if by having AS networked, this may be causing the issue for me, but I would think the test mode should work regardless. 

Archived