Thessaloniki X - Out Off Memory - StackHash

Christopher Barbas

Trying

the second flight, LGTS-EDDS, some more observations.

Scenery indeed consumes a lot by default, I had takeoff before 45min., it was night and withe my settings from screenshots by previous post except the Load Radius at medium set, VAS started at 3100 and with AIRBUS X quick increased to 3300.

After departure reaching about 4000FT was increased more about 3475 and I was scary I have to say. Didn't have the courage to go outside view.

I did it by reaching FL100 and was nothing happened but that was just the time I observed that the VAS was hitting down slowly to 3100, maybe it was earlier.

Cruising stable at 2500.

Regards

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Aerosoft

Gents, keep in mind that there is very very little that can be done about the memory use of a product. Every polygon, every texture simply needs memory. Reducing the memory use of an add-on always means simplifying it. Until we get a 64 bit simulator this will always remain an issue.

Why not give customer a option under installation, choosing between HD or 1024 textures?

It's not so hard to do that...

Go to the Thessaloniki X folder and launch LTL-Tool (Large Texture Laucher). It is exactly for this purpose.

ltl_zps0a2795f5.jpg

Yes, maybe so, but Steve's DX10 scenery fixer finished it.

No it does not I tryeid this tool at 1 of the last test and did not work 100% at all time of day. It´s a limited tool no wounder tool i find many addons this does only work at day time but not other times..

also se the note from Mathijs Kok: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/78144-thessaloniki-x-some-observations/

Did some more testing.. the problem is on my PC that when u look from RWY16 towards the city it drop to 20FPS and fluctuates between 20-30.. otherwise i get steady 30FPS.. i thought it was the city but when i fly over the city from the other side and even city in view on approach/final to RWY 16 i get steady 30FPS.. it is very strange.

No it does not I tryeid this tool at 1 of the last test and did not work 100% at all time of day. It´s a limited tool no wounder tool i find many addons this does only work at day time but not other times..

also se the note from Mathijs Kok: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/78144-thessaloniki-x-some-observations/

You seem to have not set it up correctly. I own a large collection of airport addons from Aerosoft, from the oldest to the newest, and they all work flawlessly using Steve's DX10 fixer.

You cannot state that the "fixer" does not work, based on your experience. Many hundreds of Flight simmers use the fixer, with no issues.

The link you posted does not mention the "Fixer does not work, just native DX10 does not. So why post that link ?

Did you test with the freeware tool or the payware one ?

Hey folks!

sobering result: 2 approaches, 2 OOMs! It's simply impossible to land there!

I have never experienced an OOM before, even with equivalent add-ons (e.g. T2G MMMX, fsdt Vancouver, FlightBeam Studios KIAD etc.) in combination with 'larger' aircraft like PMDG's NGX, 777 and REX textures/FSGRW weather. My FSX is well tweaked, runs basically at medium settings and with texture resolutions at or below 1024.

To be honest, I'm really disappointed! Could you please offer lower texture resolutions or something like this? It's definitely a problem of this scenery and not of my system, configuration etc...

Hey folks!

sobering result: 2 approaches, 2 OOMs! It's simply impossible to land there!

I have never experienced an OOM before, even with equivalent add-ons (e.g. T2G MMMX, fsdt Vancouver, FlightBeam Studios KIAD etc.) in combination with 'larger' aircraft like PMDG's NGX, 777 and REX textures/FSGRW weather. My FSX is well tweaked, runs basically at medium settings and with texture resolutions at or below 1024.

To be honest, I'm really disappointed! Could you please offer lower texture resolutions or something like this? It's definitely a problem of this scenery and not of my system, configuration etc...

Could you please send us some info on your FSX display (graphics/scenery/AI traffic) settings, and your other add-ons. How you mean your FSX is well 'tweaked'?

Let's check if there might just be something that leads to OOMs in your case; we have not had OOM issues when we tested extensively on PMDG 777, NGX.

note that we use only a very limited amount of large texture sheets, but since you run FSX at 1024 you should not need lower texture resolutions.

My settings was,

[...]

I have just see that with the default Mooney Bravo at night the memory drops down from 8GB to 2.25GB!

Is this to much, I think it is, what do you think?

Thanks

EDIT- FSX.CFG is not tweaked, only jobscheduler and HIMEMFIX or how it is called!

There is more than 1 man in this thread who uses less than 12 GB RAM... :D

But there is a difficulty that makes me refuse the very well known wish "pls give us the perfect fsx setting".

No cpu is like the other (with 1 or 2 exceptions)

No video card is like the other (no exception).

gtx 275 is not the strongest solution, if we really want to fly high-end a/c in fsx (pmdg B744X or similar). I fly a video card that is just in the middle between a Radeon R9 290X and your gtx 275. Let us look into this link:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

My recommendation for high-end fsx pilots: Radeon r9 270X .

PS: I use "target frame rate" 90, and I moved my "special effects detail" slider far to the left!

Hang on now.

If you're using DX9 it maps the needed (I stress on the word needed) video ram through that 4GB VirtualAddressSpace that the FSX.exe uses.

SO, if you have a video card with lots of ram (3GB for example) you could see more issues with OOM errors than someone using a 2GB video card, as DX9 maps that needed video ram into the VAS. If you have 3GB to map instead of 2GB it certainly does have an impact on that 4GB VAS FSX.EXE overhead.

This is why DX10 is so much better for VAS usage and you see minimal OOM errors while using it, DX10 video ram allocation does not map itself into that 4GB FSX.EXE VAS like DX9 does.

One thing that was never made clear was what effect AA/AF has on video ram and how it is mapped through the VAS of the application that is using it. Such as what amount of extra video ram is needed to run high levels of AA/AF and the impact it has on your VAS overhead (if any!). Does AA/AF run outside the application VAS or is it too lumped into that 4GB space?

This could explain why some user have frequent OOM errors and others do not (some may use high AA/AF with high resolutions and some may run lower settings).

This is a question I have never been able to get answered.

Could you please send us some info on your FSX display (graphics/scenery/AI traffic) settings, and your other add-ons. How you mean your FSX is well 'tweaked'?

Let's check if there might just be something that leads to OOMs in your case; we have not had OOM issues when we tested extensively on PMDG 777, NGX.

note that we use only a very limited amount of large texture sheets, but since you run FSX at 1024 you should not need lower texture resolutions.

Emil, thank you for your reply! I'll try the 'light' patch out tomorrow and post my findings here!

It doesn't. And neither is physical RAM involved in VAS issues.

You're right. I don't own Saloniki fsx. In this thread, only fsx pilots are allowed, who fly AXE in combination with the Aerosoft LGTS fsx AddOn.

Sorry.

I still wait for thumb down numero 800.

:lookatthat_s:

Gentlemen, let me remind you, that this is our Larry Leisure Time. This is not the German Air Force. Nobody gets paid for a single letter.

Relax.

PS: If the oom issue is that plain simple, why is this post #68? The good and funny thing is: I don't have a problem with fsx!

:cool3_s:

Just did my first flight into LGTS from ESSA in the NGX using ASN and like many others in this thread my flight ended in an OOM condition on final into rwy 34 and a 3 hour flight went down the drain...too bad.

Oh well...thought maybe it was me being too cocky because I enabled all options in the config tool provided for the scenery since I never ever have any OOM issues in other locations/situations and I have 30+ airport sceneries mostly from Aerosoft and some of them are very hard on both the FPS and VAS.

After this OOM issue I went back to the config tool for the scenery and disabled every option in there and fired up FSX again at LGTS sitting on the apron in the NGX with ASN injecting weather (and it wasn't foggy nor overcast conditions). I have the paid version of FSUIPC which allows me to keep track of available VAS in real-time and as you all know when available VAS goes below 300 MB you're in the danger zone and soon enough you'll have an OOM situation if you don't quickly find a way to free up some more VAS. What I found was that even now with all features disabled the available VAS still was very low (400-500 MB) after a couple of minutes just sitting there in a cold and dark cockpit and with no other addons running except for ASN.

Looking at my settings in FSX like someone else put it I dare to say I too have a very well tuned system both looking at FSX and my hardware. Looking at the settings in FSX I'm running

Autogen - Normal

Water - Low 2.x

AI Traffic - 0%

Shadows - Disabled

Remaining settings on the graphics and scenery tab are to the far right

Max texture size - 1024

My hardware

4770K @ 4.6 GHz

Geforce GTX Titan

16 GB CL9 2400 MHz RAM

To me this doens't seem right having these OOM issues with this scenery. I fully understand it's a very detailed scenery which of course is very cool but having a scenery where you're almost not able to go there being afraid FSX will crash on you that is not cool. And to be honest there are lots of other extremely detailed sceneries and some of them even considerably bigger than LGTS where you don't have these problems.

Of course I could start lowering every slider in FSX but again to be honest I don't think I should have to "tailor-make" FSX for a single airport scenery when I have 30+ other airport sceneries working just fine without a single OOM problem. So I really hope you'll be able to find some way to "tune" this scenery to consume less VAS without having to disable every single feature that makes this scenery what it is looking at the visuals because it sure does look amazing!!

If my memory serves I think similar issues were seen when Aerosoft EFHK was first released and after some patches all was good and everyone could enjoy the scenery, I think the same medicine is needed here.

• Aerosoft

To me this doens't seem right having these OOM issues with this scenery. I fully understand it's a very detailed scenery which of course is very cool but having a scenery where you're almost not able to go there being afraid FSX will crash on you that is not cool. And to be honest there are lots of other extremely detailed sceneries and some of them even considerably bigger than LGTS where you don't have these problems.

And I am not afraid because I have actually never (honest) seen an OOM. You load up add-on upon add-on and then blame the last one you added when things run out of memory. Use the Airbus Extended and you will have no problems. Use another weather tool and you will have no problems. And yes use a simpler scenery and you will have no problems.

We know of very little scenery that uses as many polygons as this one and it does not surprise me that some people run out of memory. We will see the same with nearly every high end scenery released this year. And apart from deleting a quarter of a million polygons as Emilios did there is simply nothing that can be done. I just strongly refute it's the product that is to blame. Yes it use a lot of memory, it's one of the densest and most detailed sceneries ever made. What did you expect when you saw the screenshots? If you feel your memory is better used by other add-ons then scenery, that's fine. We sell loads of those. What we cannot sell you is state of the art scenery that use 2012 state of the art memory.

But I am getting upset about people adding this on top of overloaded FS installs and expecting a miracle. If there is an error with an object that causes it to use tens of thousands of time more memory then it should we can fix it. But believe me, there is nothing like that.It's just the complexity of the whole thing.

Archived