NavDataPro preview (FSX, FS2004, X-Plane), released, topic closed.

I must say a couple of things. I have looked through the reply's and honestly think that this is another thing we don't need. Sure you guys want another product to bring you some money, but lets face it, Navigraph has already done a good job keeping us up to date. What I think us simmers would really like to see is the option to have airports such as VHHX Kai Tak included. Sure in the real world this airport is no longer used but it did really exist in the real world, but does still exist in our world. I understand that Most of us including myself like to keep things as real as we can get it, but this is after all a simulation and a lot of us use VHHX on a regular basis. I see no reason why this airport can't be implemented into the nav data with the same information in each update. In a way for some reason I think that there is some stubbornness involved hear. After all, this is a simulation, not real world navigation therefore there are not going to be any fed's that would come after us if we stray from what Is actually used in the real world nav data. Unless these updates cost less than navigraph and do include VHHX I for one will refuse to partake in another money hungry app like AES. (it seems to me that after one spends so much you shouldn't have to keep paying to activate more airports.) I must have spent more than 100 us dollars so far and though I do enjoy what AES can add to the simulation, you can buy a whole lot more actual scenery for that price. I don't mean to complain, but I'm just saying.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Aerosoft

I must say a couple of things. I have looked through the reply's and honestly think that this is another thing we don't need. Sure you guys want another product to bring you some money, but lets face it, Navigraph has already done a good job keeping us up to date. What I think us simmers would really like to see is the option to have airports such as VHHX Kai Tak included. Sure in the real world this airport is no longer used but it did really exist in the real world, but does still exist in our world. I understand that Most of us including myself like to keep things as real as we can get it, but this is after all a simulation and a lot of us use VHHX on a regular basis. I see no reason why this airport can't be implemented into the nav data with the same information in each update. In a way for some reason I think that there is some stubbornness involved hear. After all, this is a simulation, not real world navigation therefore there are not going to be any fed's that would come after us if we stray from what Is actually used in the real world nav data. Unless these updates cost less than navigraph and do include VHHX I for one will refuse to partake in another money hungry app like AES. (it seems to me that after one spends so much you shouldn't have to keep paying to activate more airports.) I must have spent more than 100 us dollars so far and though I do enjoy what AES can add to the simulation, you can buy a whole lot more actual scenery for that price. I don't mean to complain, but I'm just saying.

"Money hungry app"? And you say you do not want to complain? Ah well...

And of course you do not have to buy NavDataPro, if you are happy with the coverage of Navigraph and you have no need for a nice interface that let's you update all your aircraft with one click, that's fine for us. Adding non existing airports is simply contractual not possible. Has nothing to do with being stubborn. The fact you do not see reasons why VHHK is not included is because you do not know the conditions we are allowed to use this data under. If you can find us a data source with the same content and without contractual conditions I would be happy to discuss that.

Why don't you simply wait until we launch NavDataPro and then decide? You have made up your mind before you have even seen it!

"Money hungry app"? And you say you do not want to complain? Ah well...

And of course you do not have to buy NavDataPro, if you are happy with the coverage of Navigraph and you have no need for a nice interface that let's you update all your aircraft with one click, that's fine for us. Adding non existing airports is simply contractual not possible. Has nothing to do with being stubborn. The fact you do not see reasons why VHHK is not included is because you do not know the conditions we are allowed to use this data under. If you can find us a data source with the same content and without contractual conditions I would be happy to discuss that.

Why don't you simply wait until we launch NavDataPro and then decide? You have made up your mind before you have even seen it!

I may not have seen it yet, but again In my mind if something isn't broke why fix it. Maybe your right about what you can and can't do but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't design the app to install any approaches or airports not included in the nav data updates. Ultimately, those of us that do use the more advanced plains that use nav data updates don't need to pay for updates unless one really extremely cares about the very few actual changes in each cycle. all one has to do to change the out of date message is to go into the navdata and change the dates. To me to have an app that would adjust the dates to avoid the nav data out of date message, and install and keep the airport additions that you have made current to me would be a lot more beneficial.

• Aerosoft

I may not have seen it yet, but again In my mind if something isn't broke why fix it. Maybe your right about what you can and can't do but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't design the app to install any approaches or airports not included in the nav data updates. Ultimately, those of us that do use the more advanced plains that use nav data updates don't need to pay for updates unless one really extremely cares about the very few actual changes in each cycle. all one has to do to change the out of date message is to go into the navdata and change the dates. To me to have an app that would adjust the dates to avoid the nav data out of date message, and install and keep the airport additions that you have made current to me would be a lot more beneficial.

I think the fact that Navigraph does not cover hundreds of airports, procedures, navaids etc that NavDataPro does cover is not 'broke' but you will have to agree the one that delivers more content for the same price and is 100% backwards compatible is at least better.

Altering the database (adding non existing airport, keeping some airports as they are while updating others) is a nice idea but totally and utterly impractical, no matter if you believe there is no reason no to do it. We can mention a few like it not being possible for contractual reason, it costings a LOAD of money to develop, maintain and support, etc. But I think those fact will not convince you. You'll not buy this product, that's fine. We believe we can compete with it and we believe it is highly dangerous that so many expensive products depend on one single data source that depends on a very small company. We all remember what happened when the free access to data was cut. For a long time there was NO data.

I think the fact that Navigraph does not cover hundreds of airports, procedures, navaids etc that NavDataPro does cover is not 'broke' but you will have to agree the one that delivers more content for the same price and is 100% backwards compatible is at least better.

Altering the database (adding non existing airport, keeping some airports as they are while updating others) is a nice idea but totally and utterly impractical, no matter if you believe there is no reason no to do it. We can mention a few like it not being possible for contractual reason, it costings a LOAD of money to develop, maintain and support, etc. But I think those fact will not convince you. You'll not buy this product, that's fine. We believe we can compete with it and we believe it is highly dangerous that so many expensive products depend on one single data source that depends on a very small company. We all remember what happened when the free access to data was cut. For a long time there was NO data.

This is one I follow with great interest due to Navigraph and for me personal the wrong credit system and a lot of errors in the data...

Happy to leave that one behind...

Cheers,

André

Let me a couple interjections,

In my mind if something isn't broke why fix it.

Well, as Mathijs said, navigraph data is kinda broken. It is similar as when I had a "stupid" phone. I thought, I can call, I can message, hell it can even shoot decent photos in need, why buy a smartphone? It aint broken. Bud then I got a smartphone and dound I can do most anything with it, mail, net, social networks, calendar is great, I even arranged for replacement air tickets from Israel when Malev went bust, all with my phone.

Some stuff proposed by Aerosoft blows Navigraph out of the water, and we are not even considering how much data&quality it has. Plus its LIDO, so I can at least second degree support my favorite aviation data supplier of the big three.

Maybe your right about what you can and can't do but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't design the app to install any approaches or airports not included in the nav data updates.

Technically, you can. There are people who did that. Run an exe after your navigraph update, and it will pour Kai Tak, Andras Field, Queenstown RNP, Innsbruck RNP, Alaska RNP approaches into your database. But if the reason is legal - that is often much harder to overcome.ô

Ultimately, those of us that do use the more advanced plains that use nav data updates don't need to pay for updates unless one really extremely cares about the very few actual changes in each cycle. all one has to do to change the out of date message is to go into the navdata and change the dates.

I would say there are hundreds, if not thousands, of those who do pay. And I can tell you right now, that I will buy Aerosoft cycle within first two months, even though I have Navigraph running well into 2013.

(it seems to me that after one spends so much you shouldn't have to keep paying to activate more airports.) I must have spent more than 100 us dollars so far and though I do enjoy what AES can add to the simulation, you can buy a whole lot more actual scenery for that price.

Well nobody is forcing you to pay for more credits, I mean, you dont have to have AES, do you? And understanding that AES airport definitions are not easy to process, it is just fair that there is a price attached.

We believe we can compete with it and we believe it is highly dangerous that so many expensive products depend on one single data source that depends on a very small company. We all remember what happened when the free access to data was cut. For a long time there was NO data.

Those were dark times. 0608 was it, the last free cycle, right?

Anyway looking forward. Any idea when can we expect first cycle to be out?

Any news about the release?
Any idea when can we expect first cycle to be out?

Forgive me for not being able to link it, as I cannot find where this was said, but last I heard of a timeline was that the aim was a little bit after the Airbus X Extended release, so sometime in mid-to-late September. I am not involved in that project, and could very well be wrong, but I could have sworn Mathijs said that somewhere here on the forums in the past few weeks. Keep in mind a cycle will come with the release of the Extended for its use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That question comes up again and again ;-)

I think there is no need to publish any list. Just go and browse through the aip and you have your list as every IFR-Procedure that is published by the state authorities in the AIP is included.

This database is a completly different approach in comparison to navigraph.

Jan-Paul

Can you please tell me if this will include the Eaglesoft format? I'm kinda fed-up with Navigraph's coverage as many smaller Canadian airports aren't in the database! My yearly subscription expired with the current cycle, so I'm hoping this will be out soon! :)

Archived