Iceland Ash

Gaura Mohana

Just had a thought. Are all the ultra realism junkies who take off from where they left the plane and fly realistic weather and conditions now grounded in FS? unsure.gif

Hahaha, that was a good one, Stewart! :rofl:

To the situation here in Austria:

Austro-Control (Austrian ATC) just announced to prolongate the closure of airspace until tomorrow 2 PM LOC but are prepared to extend until Monday.

The ZAMG (Zentralanstalt fuer Meteorologie und Geodynamik) announced some ten minutes ago that there will be some slight rain tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon which should wash out the volcanic ashes. Slight rainfall is prognosed to continue trough Tuesday und that should (theoretically) reopen the airspace in southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria. But they predict that air masses will start moving north, hence re-shifting some of the ashed towards UK and the situation could worsen there.

And from Thursday on there will be a northwesterly drift again and will bring new ashes to western and central Europe. So there's a high probability that the airspace will be closed again over a greater part of Europe at the end of next week. (Should it open in the meantime altogether)

But of course there's not a lot of certainty. Nobody knows how much rain we will get and nobody knows how the volcanic activity will carry on.

VFR General Aviation traffic is not affected here! (Up to FL200)

But interestingly the private pilots didn't dare to fly much today and yesterday and there was very sparse GA VFR traffic as well.

Good old railroad seems to be afforded a new hayday!

A footnote: Our online newspapers just reported that "Mr. Silly Walks", John Cleese, substituted his cancelled flight off Oslo by a taxi cab and took the cab for a 25 hours ride to Bruxelles ... ;-)

KLM said its plane, a Boeing 737, had reached its maximum operating altitude of about 13km in the skies over the Netherlands, and there had been no problems during the flight.

The aircraft and its engines were being inspected for possible damage. After the results of that technical inspection the airline hopes to get permission from the aviation authorities to start up operations again.

Germany's Lufthansa said it flew several planes to Frankfurt from Munich.

A spokesman said: "All airplanes have been inspected on arrival in Frankfurt but there was no damage to the cockpit windows or fuselage and no impact on the engines."

Earlier, a spokesman for the international airline industry said: "We don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet."

Icelandic geologist Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson told the Associated Press news agency: "It's the magma mixing with the water that creates the explosivity. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8627720.stm

And it isn't even 2012. I mean.... tjee...

LOL I just remembered that on my flight from Doha to Male with an A330, I watched on the inflight entertainment system the movie 2012!!

It was so bizzare to see on the seatscreen LAX getting destroyed, airplanes falling, so much catastrophy while being onboard an acctual plane!! :P

Dotsaigon, thanks for your post. It gives me a better understanding about volcanic ash. It's amazing how the pilots kept their cool not knowing what it was. Even the announcement by the captain when he said to the passengers "we've got a slight problem." blush.gif and then landing as if they were blindfoldered, was totally amazing ! I thoroughly enjoyed the vids. wink.gif

Cheers Spud

lol. I just started FSX with real time weather ecpecting to see the ash cloud, and nothing. Nada- its totally clear. now thats wierd -_-

That is normal... The ash cloud has no particals of water, it is not a weather phenomenon, thus it is invisible to the weather report! ;)

Dotsaigon, thanks for your post. It gives me a better understanding about volcanic ash. It's amazing how the pilots kept their cool not knowing what it was. Even the announcement by the captain when he said to the passengers "we've got a slight problem." blush.gif and then landing as if they were blindfoldered, was totally amazing ! I thoroughly enjoyed the vids. wink.gif

Cheers Spud

No prob! I have seen all of these episodes!! :P

That crew was damn lucky!! LOL

Hear is a link where you can see live video from Eyjafjallajökull http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

lets then hope that mt, Katla dosen´t wake up then the problem will start´s :(

næs nett síða en hvað í andskotanum eru þessir menn að segja? þetta meikar engann sense lærið fyrst hvernig á að segja nafnið á staðnum

nice site but WTF are those TV presenters trying to say? if you are going to do a news story about something foreign learn the fkn language first or at least to pronounce it correctly Eyjafjallajökull

og já miðað við að evrópa er í hakki núna út af Eyjafjallajökli ef Katla gýs, þá verður þetta messy

and btw seeing the Europe is in trouble now if Katla would to erupt, then things will get messy

in germany, there had been flights by lufthansa, lufthansa cargo, airberlin and condor... all flights without passangers to get the planes to their home base... all flights under 7500m under vfr rules... no pilot reported any problems...

tonight german airports had been open for starts going to east, it was said there is a hole...

nevertheless, one tui fly plane flight from gran canaria to hannover(north germany) tonight, with passangers, without problems...

all our weather office can say is, there is ash, but we don t know how much... cause they are not able to measure it, cause they never had the need to do so yet...

Hmm. Certain airplanes have stator vanes or variable inlets that direct airflow into the engine. I wonder if there is a lower risk of damage in such a case. It could explain a few Ural Airways (probable Tu-154s, which have stator vanes) have been flying around.

Perhaps an F-15 could handle this ash? The intakes are swept downwards to slow down the flow of air at high speeds, would this result in less erosion?

Yes, but the Finnish F-18s that were flying around had fixed intakes. I'm pretty sure that any ash encountered would flow straight into the engines without any sort of slowdown.

Nonetheless, variable intakes would probably only protect against erosion. Regardless of the speed of the ash entering the engine, it would still melt upon entering the combustion chamber.

I know that delays for the airlines means money, but as a passenger I would much rather never ever have to hear anything like this:

Its just a simulator and I think I still felt my heart speed up! :P