Iceland Ash

Gaura Mohana

Could this affect flights in the next couple of months?

It depends on quite a few factors such as severity and or length of eruption, wind direction etc. Its not inconceivable that it could last weeks or months. Last major icelandic eruption lasted 18 months. The problem with this one is that because the eruption is under a glacier, the ice is fragmenting the magma as it comes out and thats causing increased ash clouds where there would be more of a magma flow in normal conditions. The ash cloud at the moment is estimated at two thirds the size of Great Britain and is drifting south east from Iceland. Reports are coming in of people in Shetland smelling sulphur in the air.

Yikes.. I was just reading on a German news site.

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/islandvulkan108.html

A short part freely translated:

"Meteorologists believe that the ash will not disapear until the next few days. A speaker of Iceland's Aviation authority saíd: "That know only the weathergods. It could take a couple of days, or a couple of years as well"

:blink:

• Aerosoft

Meteorologists can say something about the ash that's in the air now, but you sure need a vulcanologist to tell you how long the eruption will last. Being the last to create panic, there have been eruptions that lasted months and in some case even years.

It is kind of strange though to see an airport shut down in beautiful weather. Heard some airports are even going to simply close the terminals something seemingly unprecedented.

this volcano now is close to another one that is active since march already. i think its just bad luck that the wind puts the ash to south east now. this can change easily within the next days...

what i see as a much bigger problem is the caused chaos. some flights to london are now directed to frankfurt. including so many airports and so many airlines, it will cause a chaos that will last for weeks, maybe months...

• Aerosoft

this volcano now is close to another one that is active since march already. i think its just bad luck that the wind puts the ash to south east now. this can change easily within the next days...

True, standard wind patterns are from the east, then it would only affect trans Atlantic flights.

Let's just hope traveling to Iceland will not be harmed much. My flights are booked for mid June. If they cancel it we will have to delay the upcoming Iceland Addon.

...And will you be modeling an active volcano for the Iceland add-on? :P

• Deputy Sheriffs

...And will you be modeling an active volcano for the Iceland add-on? :P

PLEASE NO !!!

It could prevent us from flying in the northern hemisphere :blink:

Otto

What happens if the volcano ash manages to stay in the air for say '2 years? Will there be no flights in Europe for 2 years? or will they find some way?

EDIT- i know it prob wont happen ; just curios to know what would have happened in such a situation. Or is there a good chance this will happen?

i think this is pretty unrealistic, as we have always constant wind and weather over europe. but talking about security issues that are number one priority to all airports, airlines and countries. as long as there is a clear indication for a NoGO situation, there won t be any flights...

some years ago (i think 3) there was a big storm coming over europe and germany. i can only talk for germany, but the complete life stopped for a day. the goverment gave the suggestion to stay at home from lunch time on until the next day. Most companies followed this advice and send the people home. in the afternoon when the storm arrived, everything stopped: no busses, trains, flights, the normal life in the cities stopped completed. it put our country in a little chaos. especially the train company needed over a week to return to the normal schedule and the airlines and airports needed days... not talking about the lost of money caused by lost working time... but those things happen...

but i don t believe this will be an issue that nees to be adressed...

And it isn't even 2012. I mean.... tjee...

:lol::lol:

Let's just hope the eruption will not be the first part of the end of the world but fading within the enxt 2 weeks. Then I guess everything will be fine for all of us and there'll only be some business men missing their flights... :D

If my flight will not be cancelled I will naturally include the eruption in the addon time-based.

in aircraft performance charts, one sees landing and takeoff distance required for a variety of runway conditions....dry, wet, greasy....

should they include a new chart for 'if runway covered in volcanic ash'.....laugh.gif

i suppose the answer to that question would be 'if runway covered in volcanic ash, pray!"

paul

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

The Airbus A32x manual I got here does mention it in a separate page. Will try to scan it tomorrow.

In the summer of 1783 a volcano on Iceland wiped out thousands of people all across Europe because of the acid fog it create and prevented fishing boats to leave port for weeks on end. I really sound like an alarmist don't I?

• Upvote 1

And it isn't even 2012. I mean.... tjee...

oh, just wait, last time this volcano erupted it went on for 2 years and after that Katla erupted wich cosed Lakagíga eruption wich put the world up side down and 2 years from now is 2012 so you just wait and see ( btw I dont think 2012 will ever happen tbh )

• Upvote 1

oh, just wait, last time this volcano erupted it went on for 2 years and after that Katla erupted wich cosed Lakagíga eruption wich put the world up side down and 2 years from now is 2012 so you just wait and see ( btw I dont think 2012 will ever happen tbh )

how long did they ground all flights for then?

btw i too think that the world will not end in 2012

They closed of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport too, for all I know. It's unbelievably silent above my house... Normally you'd hear one plane over the other, now it's nothing. It's weird if you are accustomed to the thundering of jet engines. They should be reopening the airport at 20:00 today, however...