Iceland Ash

Gaura Mohana

Can anyone explain why airlines fly normal routes again by saying they do it VFR instead of IFR - and what the heck that has to do with ash? :blink:

I think they'll fly lower than normally and there for have to look out a bit more and so they to it VFR for safety, but what do I know?

• Aerosoft

Can anyone explain why airlines fly normal routes again by saying they do it VFR instead of IFR - and what the heck that has to do with ash? :blink:

Well actually the best way to stay out of a dense ash cloud is to see it. It does not show up on (weather) radar. Another reason is that the normal routes are not used right now so there are a lot of aircraft in unexpected places. Always better to fly VFR in those conditions. Yesterday I saw almost no flights after sunset.

BTW, I just saw Schiphol was using three runways around 18:00, very very busy there.

1.png

http://casper.frontier.nl/

e01_23056097.jpg

Awesome picture, the intense lightning is caused by the super-conductivity of the ash in the storm clouds.

I live in Colorado, and a few years back there was a very large forest fire that burned thousands of acres in a part of our state. My wife and I happened to be driving home from vacation at night and we followed a lightning storm fueled by all of the ash in the air, the likes of which I probably will never see again. The lightning was so frequent and intense, mostly cloud to cloud and we drove in awe and silence for about 40 minutes, watching the show...just spectacular!

• Aerosoft

Awesome picture, the intense lightning is caused by the super-conductivity of the ash in the storm clouds.

I live in Colorado, and a few years back there was a very large forest fire that burned thousands of acres in a part of our state. My wife and I happened to be driving home from vacation at night and we followed a lightning storm fueled by all of the ash in the air, the likes of which I probably will never see again. The lightning was so frequent and intense, mostly cloud to cloud and we drove in awe and silence for about 40 minutes, watching the show...just spectacular!

I do not think an ash cloud can be super conductive (you need low, not high temperatures for that), but I do know that the ash particles that interact (slide among each other) create massive static charges.