Indeed, the shading is great, even now when it isn't wrapped and textured... :o ! Great to see the development team is making good progress, especially with the cockpit! As Nick says, the clarity of the text is first-class, you can read it almost perfectly from here!

Very nice, better to read than the Twin Otter. What an impressive work, guys ...

• Aerosoft
It sure is looking good. Is it possible to open the ventral hatch on this model?

I assume you mean the hatch used by the rear gunner? Below the tail?

if so, yes that is one of the many hatches that we can animate. But note we will not do the interior at that section of the aircraft. If we do that it will just make the whole model too heavy for FSX.

• Aerosoft

See the Compass Deviation chart? Better not forget about it because the compass in the Catalina will be modeled to include these deviations (for those who do not know, this has nothing to do with the magnetic variation of the earth, but it's a table that shows how the metal bits of the aircraft affect the magnetic compass. And yes indeed, that means you read the compass, apply the magnetic variation and then the deviation to know where you are going.

post-43-1231957800_thumb.png

And yes indeed, that means you read the compass, apply the magnetic variation and then the deviation to know where you are going.

Could you please place a clickspot for the default GPS on the deviation chart?

Tom

(No, just kidding. I'm just not sure I can find my way around in the air without an FMC :rolleyes: )

• Aerosoft
Could you please place a clickspot for the default GPS on the deviation chart?

Tom

(No, just kidding. I'm just not sure I can find my way around in the air without an FMC :rolleyes: )

Can you live with a [shift]-[3] thing for that? The semi modern cats will have a fully modeled GPS system included (though one of around 1995) of course. 40 pages of manual but a LOT more realistic than the default things.

Can you live with a [shift]-[3] thing for that? The semi modern cats will have a fully modeled GPS system included (though one of around 1995) of course. 40 pages of manual but a LOT more realistic than the default things.

Absolutely, it was meant as a joke, really. Which GPS are you putting in?

Tom

Eagle Valley Air has several construction crews building amphibian ramps for the PBY at a number of Islands south east of Rangiora.

Crews are ready, and Charter flights are being negotiated.

• Aerosoft
Eagle Valley Air has several construction crews building amphibian ramps for the PBY at a number of Islands south east of Rangiora.

Crews are ready, and Charter flights are being negotiated.

You know we also have beaching gear for under the PBY-5? Not hard to fix but you need to train crews for that as well. Working in armpit deep water trying to secure these things is a major pain in the neck. It's a lot easier for them if there is a ramp with a flat underwater platform with 5 feet of water. Not concrete as that gets too slippery, coral sand or normal sand is best.

Hi,

this post is kind of off topic but has anyone seen the Catalina's in CoDWaW (That's world at war, call of duty) more importantly the animated internal scenes with crew. I know it's not a true flight simulator but the internals are rearly nice. 20mm, 50 cals, front turret, waist positions, Wireless Op, Pilots and the ventral gun position with stowable 50 (or maybe 30) cal.

Dog.

Hi,

this post is kind of off topic but has anyone seen the Catalina's in CoDWaW (That's world at war, call of duty) more importantly the animated internal scenes with crew. I know it's not a true flight simulator but the internals are rearly nice. 20mm, 50 cals, front turret, waist positions, Wireless Op, Pilots and the ventral gun position with stowable 50 (or maybe 30) cal.

Dog.

Any screens? Would be nice to know how it looks like there...

• Aerosoft
I'd rather like to see or any progress has been made with this Catalina :unsure::rolleyes: ...

well there is... The outside fuselage has been added to the VC yesterday so the view from the cockpit is now a lot more realistic (and you also understand why every operator removed that front turret the moment it was not needed anymore). Today most progress was made to the old style radio room. we had to decide what to model and what to do with it. This weekend all the programming was done to get the CHT, OIL temp and some other varibales right. We decided not to use the things FSX hands us because they are not detailed enough for the engines we are doing.

We are 100% on track.

post-43-1232560079_thumb.jpg

post-43-1232560085_thumb.jpg

post-43-1232560095_thumb.jpg

post-43-1232560101_thumb.jpg

well there is... The outside fuselage has been added to the VC yesterday so the view from the cockpit is now a lot more realistic (and you also understand why every operator removed that front turret the moment it was not needed anymore). Today most progress was made to the old style radio room. we had to decide what to model and what to do with it. This weekend all the programming was done to get the CHT, OIL temp and some other varibales right. We decided not to use the things FSX hands us because they are not detailed enough for the engines we are doing.

We are 100% on track.

So nice. I guess I can't put off purchasing a TrackIR much longer.

Tom

So nice. I guess I can't put off purchasing a TrackIR much longer.

Tom

You need to buy it !! (Just kidding)

Especially for the Catalina, cause thats the best way to get that feeling of beeing there :)

But also for other aircraft is it nice to have.

Finn

• Aerosoft
You need to buy it !! (Just kidding)

Especially for the Catalina, cause thats the best way to get that feeling of beeing there :)

But also for other aircraft is it nice to have.

Finn

Think this is the first time I'll tell you that you're wrong Finn... Next beer on me.

The Catalina is not as straightforward in view as an Airbus, but if you forget about parking brake and some hydraulics, almost all important stuff is very much in front of the pilot. Some other stuff like Autopilot and Mixture is on the back wall but these are set and forget things, could be done by key command. What I am trying to say is that personally I could not imagine flying the F-16 without a head tracker because so much of the interface is under your elbows, in the Catalina it is further away and using a simple view switch on your stick (or different views) it can all be seen rather easy.

Ok - seen in that perspective it is true that almost all essential controls and switches are in front of You in the Catalina - at least those that needs attention during flight.

The Catalina can perfectly be flown without the use of TrackIR.

But like on other addons, it adds a tremendous amount of immersion, and gives a better perception of the 3D enviroment inside the cockpit.

What I meant by saying that it especially is nice for the Catalina is, that by using TrackIR You will look more around the cockpit, cause it feels more natural, than if You have to use the POV hat.

With the level of detail put in there, it would be a shame not to look around more often :)

Finn

Ok - seen in that perspective it is true that almost all essential controls and switches are in front of You in the Catalina - at least those that needs attention during flight.

The Catalina can perfectly be flown without the use of TrackIR.

But like on other addons, it adds a tremendous amount of immersion, and gives a better perception of the 3D enviroment inside the cockpit.

What I meant by saying that it especially is nice for the Catalina is, that by using TrackIR You will look more around the cockpit, cause it feels more natural, than if You have to use the POV hat.

With the level of detail put in there, it would be a shame not to look around more often :)

Finn

Mr. Finn,

I'm looking forward to looking around your Catalina with my TrackIR; So, when can I ??? :D

• Aerosoft
Release is scheduled for march 2009. So when Mathijs states "100% on track" it should be march ;)

Happy when this highly anticipated plane is finally here :rolleyes:

Yep, March... Today more failures were added, for example shock cooling now can ruin your day!

Yep, March... Today more failures were added, for example shock cooling now can ruin your day!

Good to see Aerosoft march forward in these dark FS times, the Catalina was always a favourite here, going to build a scale 1/48 model of it soon.

Like the soon to be released Manhattan scenery and other Aircraft add-ons, will this ship with a mission or two? I know many others like me love the mission aspect that shipped with FSX, and Aerosoft do this so well ... can think of many interesting scenarios that a Cat might use mission wise.

• Aerosoft

This was too good not to post.

Today the prerendering has started. Prerendering means that the textures and the surfaces are prepared so FSX can render (calculate and display) the textures in the sim. This preperendering is not done a lot for FS projects because it demands a lot of skill and is time consuming. It does give however far greater control over the final result. The image shows some surfaces (not in the sim) that are now prepared. Note how the flaked paint has a 3d feel, something that will be even stronger in FSX where the lighting is dynamic and moving all the time. All in all this same shot will look a lot better in FSX because we now know that FSX has one of the best game rendering engines around.

Still on schedule for a late March arrival...

post-43-1233253768_thumb.jpg

post-43-1233256434_thumb.jpg