• Aerosoft
Outstanding. Can't wait for this one. Any idea when it will roll out? Eagle Valley Air will be flying her out of Moto Mute, and Rangiroa.

We need about 7 weeks from now.

Two more shots added, note that they still need to be made 'old'

post-43-1227688686_thumb.jpg

post-43-1227688696_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures - looking better and better.

What I find interesting is that great gap in the floor from pedals to the front. So if you drop anything in the cockpit it will fall down there and never be seen again :) ? Better not include the Bushhawk coffee cup in this model. ;)

If it's a good regarding in-sim performance as the Twin Otter, I'm satisfied...don't make it as 'complicated' like the Bushhawk, please. I know it's a great product, but I prefer the smoothness of my Twotter ;-).

Mr. Mathijs Kok,

Will it be finished in just 7 weeks?

Can I expect it for Christmas?

I really love the level of detail you put in your models.

I'm buying this one. :)

Sounds like if it's seven weeks, you can expect it in mid-January(ish)...

Kent

And more work done this weekend. As you see the first texturing has started as well.

It's so refreshing to see the detail going into the latest planes, particularly the smooth, rounded edges of everything in the cockpit. Looks like the sharp-edge Gmax-of-the-early-90's quality is in the past, thankfully. Looks great so far. Can't wait.

It's so refreshing to see the detail going into the latest planes, particularly the smooth, rounded edges of everything in the cockpit. Looks like the sharp-edge Gmax-of-the-early-90's quality is in the past, thankfully. Looks great so far. Can't wait.

Some fresh weekend shot of the rear panels...

post-9687-1227872063_thumb.jpg

Some fresh weekend shot of the rear panels...

Looking good - but gets me a little confused. I would have expected some of these gauges and controls on the flight engineer panel.

PBY-5%20CatalinaFE.JPG

Looking good - but gets me a little confused. I would have expected some of these gauges and controls on the flight engineer panel.

PBY-5%20CatalinaFE.JPG

The panel you showed is not located inside the main cockpit, but in the tower that connects the fuselage to the wings section.

There is the seat for the engineer, directly between the engines.

However this Catalina from Aerosoft will be controlled by the pilots itself. So all gauges which are important for engine management you will find at the main instrument panel.

This has to be still implemented. Await this for the next week.

All the Best

Thanks for the information. In my opinion it is a good choice transferring the instruments to the main panel - so you don't have to skip through the views all the time to read the instruments and change anything.

There are several reasons that putting the Flight engineer stuff into the cocpkit.

Most of the FE controls are almost only used during startup and shutdown.

There are only two very small windows on each side of his seat, so there is next to no vision outside and it is extreme cramped (Been there myself).

In the virtual version we are doinf, one person (the user) is suposed to be both Captain, First officer, Radio operator and Flight engineer.

I know other addons are featuring all these positions, but in these addons there is still vision forward through the cockpit windows, so it is possible to both operate the FE controls whilst having a look on where You go. In the Catalina that isn´t possible and only woul add alot of frustration.

Infact alot of Catalinas was later converted to have most FE controls moved to the the cockpit inorder for the pilots to operate them.

The way the fuel valves and mixture levers are mounted, shown on the image from the Aerosoft Catalina is taken from a Dutch Catalina.

Finn

What do You mean with full virtual cockpit ?

What is planned is the cockpit area where the pilots are sitting, wich offcourse will be fully accesible.

No radio/navigator nor flight engineer stations due to the reasons pointed out in my former post.

Finn

• Aerosoft
Will this have a full virtual cockpit like the Twotter, just out of curiosity?

More or less like the Twin Otter. We'll not do a fully detailed interior though because that would make the VC way too slow. But where you can see interior from the pilot/copilot position there will be some detail. However as always my idea of FSX is that it should be used from the pilots point of view and not as a passenger etc.

As Finn pointed out, the FE station in the wingpylon is not possible. Apart from the issues he mentioned there is also the problem that the walls are only inches from the FE head in that location and in FSX that means you will have serious issues with clipping (where objects will suddenly become invisible). We don't feel it is a problem, any operator that had the option deleted that station as soon as possible, it was a bad design from the start.

just note that we still need some screws here and there and that, of course, we build the aircraft as they come from the factory and add the grime, dust and flaked paint as separate layers later...

You can already see that this version will make the Abacus' version look like a welfare case.

Here's Abacus' version:

cat.jpg

As you can see, it lacks half the heart and soul that we will get with Aerosoft.

You can already see that this version will make the Abacus' version look like a welfare case.

Here's Abacus' version:

As you can see, it lacks half the heart and soul that we will get with Aerosoft.

Now, are you surprised  <_<

More or less like the Twin Otter. We'll not do a fully detailed interior though because that would make the VC way too slow. But where you can see interior from the pilot/copilot position there will be some detail. However as always my idea of FSX is that it should be used from the pilots point of view and not as a passenger etc.

As Finn pointed out, the FE station in the wingpylon is not possible. Apart from the issues he mentioned there is also the problem that the walls are only inches from the FE head in that location and in FSX that means you will have serious issues with clipping (where objects will suddenly become invisible). We don't feel it is a problem, any operator that had the option deleted that station as soon as possible, it was a bad design from the start.

Bummer Mathijs as I simulate this quite often. Would rather lose the detailed levers and nuts and bolts for a realistically textured interior or nose you can see using Track IR

Bummer Mathijs as I simulate this quite often. Would rather lose the detailed levers and nuts and bolts for a realistically textured interior or nose you can see using Track IR

I don´t know if You ever have been inside a Catalina, but fully modelling the interiour of a Catalina would definitly drag down FPS.

It´s not an airliner where You can copy XX number of seats and give then the same texture.

It more looks like an U-boat inside than a DC-3 f.ex.

Look here:

post-7458-1228287332_thumb.jpg

post-7458-1228287346_thumb.jpg

post-7458-1228287359_thumb.jpg

post-7458-1228287367_thumb.jpg

post-7458-1228287379_thumb.jpg

To give You the correct "Catalina experience" modelling all this, would require an extreme number of polygons, not to speak about the time it would take developing the complete interiour.

I would rather use some of those poly's inside the Cockpit area where I spend 95% of my time and have fluid framerates.

Just my humble opinion.

Finn

I would wait for some shots that show some near finished VC version. The current pics can only give a rough idea on what you will get on final, because the final visual quality in the end is

generated inside the sim. The images shown here are to be seen as some construction side, in no way it resembles the final quality. Normally developers open their realms in much later states

of production. Perhaps so we got some misunderstandings here.