Thanks for the pictures Finn, actually it's heavy. ^^

It would be good if each simer could modify the 3d model, simply add or remove 3d objects inside the cabin for customize it, and share these objects, like with scenery. :)

It would be good if each simer could modify the 3d model, simply add or remove 3d objects inside the cabin for customize it, and share these objects, like with scenery. :)

Yep that would be the perfect way of doing it.

This way the users also could find out why it sometimes is a bad idea to add too much stuff to a model ;)

Finn

Actually, that is impossible. You cannot simply add objects to a 3D model - you need the source file to do it.

And distributing source files = someone takes your work and claims it is theirs.

I don´t know if You ever have been inside a Catalina, but fully modelling the interiour of a Catalina would definitly drag down FPS.

It´s not an airliner where You can copy XX number of seats and give then the same texture.

It more looks like an U-boat inside than a DC-3 f.ex.

I would rather use some of those poly's inside the Cockpit area where I spend 95% of my time and have fluid framerates.

Just my humble opinion.

Finn

Hi Finn, I totally understand and as a modeler myself, I understand the hurdles as well as the compromises made when modeling. I was just expressing a rebuttal to what Mathijs posted about focusing on the pilots view, which can mean different things to different users depending on the software they are using such as Track IR. For instance, many developers leave out the nose of an aircraft in the VC because they feel the "pilot's view" doesn't include it, this would be wrong in my view.

Great images, lots going in in that compartment, I can imagine the impact every part modeled would have.

• Aerosoft
Man...I was hoping for the Cat by Christmas...looks like it is not to be. I'm REALLY looking forward to this release!!!

Looking GREAT...

Kent :rolleyes:

Sorry to disappoint you, but we are on schedule for a Feb release. It's a big project.

I will make some new images over the next few days as the VC is close to being completed.

• Aerosoft
Is it going to be a frame-friendly project? (like the H-1)

Although framerates are becoming less and less an issue with the low costs of hardware at this moment it does remain a vital issue for us. I can honestly say that I think that per polygon this will be the most framerate friendly project i have ever worked on. I am seeing it at 50+ fps from the current VC when I water taxi around the default Sitka of FSX with setting near the max. I expect this to be on par with the H-1 in framerates. It's a HIGHLY professional project and as you seen with the F-16 and the H-1, that matters a lot these days.

Although framerates are becoming less and less an issue with the low costs of hardware at this moment it does remain a vital issue for us.

Dear Mathijs Kok,

I think this is a bad case from Aerosoft! Yes, hardware is becoming cheaper but there are still people who cant afford to buy new hardware every year. So I think it's important that developers should trive for low FPS. But good news that the Catalina would run smooth.;)

Dear Mathijs Kok,

I think this is a bad case from Aerosoft! Yes, hardware is becoming cheaper but there are still people who cant afford to buy new hardware every year. So I think it's important that developers should trive for low FPS. But good news that the Catalina would run smooth.;)

I think this is exactly what Marthijs said before...: :unsure:

Although framerates are becoming less and less an issue with the low costs of hardware at this moment it does remain a vital issue for us.

Regards

Bernd

• Aerosoft
Dear Mathijs Kok,

Good point, but what you state makes any progress into a more in-depth and more immerse very hard. If we make software for middle of the road hardware bought 12 months ago we would be just repeating what we done before. The Catalina is intended to be sold for 18 months at least. So we always make it run fine on top of the range hardware when we launch. We got a shop full of products that will run fine on somewhat older systems.

Now this means that for some users our newest products will not run satisfactory. But we don't hide that, we'll tell people that they need serious hardware for some products. The Catalina will have hardware requirements along the line of the F-16.

• Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP 2 or Acceleration)
  • Windows XP/Vista with the latest Service Packs (XP recommended)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (2x 2666Mhz) or equivalent (Core 2 Quad CPU recommended)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • DX9 Graphic Card with at least 256 MB (512 MB strongly recommended)
Most likely we'll increase the CPU demands a bit. Even when we go up two levels we are still under the 200 Euro level and 8 levels below the top spec CPU. I think those are realistic specs early 2009. I realize some people can't afford that. But again, we got a shop full of products that will run fine. When we launched Manhattan in 2006 most people complained it looked great but was a slideshow. I have not heard that comment in the last 18 months. So if you buy the newest software and expect it to run on old hardware you can be disappointed.

• Aerosoft

Had to do some images for the Dutch Catalinha foundation (we support each other in this product). And they looked cool so I decided to post them here. Note that ALL textures are still pre-beta, that's one of the things being worked on this week.

post-43-1231160008_thumb.jpg

post-43-1231160016_thumb.jpg

post-43-1231160026_thumb.jpg

post-43-1231160034_thumb.jpg

Just something that is being worked on this morning, the windshield wiper motor. Perhaps you like to see how something looks when it is not shaded, wrapped and textured. Note how FSX does a pretty nice shading itself!

Looks incredible, but what really caught my eye was the dirt on the windows in the corners. I know, sounds strange but I absolutely love little details like that, particularly on glass.

Indeed, the shading is great, even now when it isn't wrapped and textured... :o ! Great to see the development team is making good progress, especially with the cockpit! As Nick says, the clarity of the text is first-class, you can read it almost perfectly from here!