Crash During "DIR TO"

Francescom

I can subscribe to the above problems: CTD during DIR TO. There are more topics related to this problem that should probably be merged into a single one.

I've also done my part of testing and went from a YUHUUUUU to a #$!!#+.... (can't spell it out). Please pin this right up and don't close it since we will be unable to provide feedback for you and all the other simmers.

Here you can find my experience with this issue with Step by Step indications and links to some downloads and fixes already mentioned here:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Please let me quote my linked post from yesterday again:

All that there is to say about this has been said. But so summarize it and to make sure there are no misunderstandings: 

• the problem is an acknowledged bug
  • the problem shows up on some, but by far not all systems
  • the FMC will be reworked for the A330 and after the release of the A330 ported back int the A31x/A32x in SP4
  • there is no time frame given for the release of the A330, therefore
  • there is no time frame given for the release of the A31x/A32x SP4
  • no testing / bug fixing is done on this problem in the meantime

Of course you are free to post your findings here. But AS will not do any further tests!

There have been a tremendous amount of work spent into this bug without any outcome. Therefore the decision has been made to stop chasing it, as the FMC will be reworked anyway, and with this rework the bug will most likely be gone. 

This has been already communicated in this topic a while back, so from my perspective there is nothing more to add to it. And that's why I closed the other topic.

We understand. Being a programmer myself I can understand the problem you are facing. I for my person am only trying to help. Of course, as users, we can only guess. 

Tom, I also understand that the, let's call it issue, is not easy to chase down and I realy appreciate the efforts taken. I also understand that the reworked MCDU of the 330 will find it's way back to the 318..321 series.

Wat I was trying to point out is that in the other post that has been closed, I wrote that I will do some other several tests to try to find out what combination leads to the CTD. I'm not debugging, or rewriting, or do what so ever to the CODE I just try to help me and others with my test cases and workarounds to further enjoy this aircraft.

We already know that the VC++ and .NET repairing tool don't fix the problem. We also know that you can fly the BUS and have no CTD at all. What you can't say is that the fixes work for xx% of the users since not all the users have complained about it, not all users actually use DIR TO's, ... .

So let us users help eachother with our findings and maybe, just maybe, one of us will have a good workaround that will take the busses again in the sky!

And the HDG trick does not solve the problem. Today, I did three DIR-TO, one at ALT CRZ, each from HDG mode. After the last DIR-TO it crashed two seconds after the descent was started (managed). All I can confirm till now is that I never had a problem without using DIR. And usually, one DIR is no problem.

Reaper,

I believe what Tom meant to say is that the VC++ and .net update resolved the Dir To CTD issue for a high percentage of those who reported the problem to us.  I'm aware that it is still possible to have a CTD caused by the DIR To function even with the  updates, though it appears to be rare and caused by a different chain.  Since the developer(s) can't reproduce this problem, and since the FMS has been completely rewritten (and will be provided as an update following sometime after the A330 is released), and since the vast majority of users are not reporting this problem (and again, most of who have reported had it solved by the VC++ update), we aren't devoting too much more effort to this issue.  That does not mean that we don't appreciate help from those like you - we ALWAYS do!

MGA,

You may have misunderstood.  Using the Heading Mode was suggested as an alternative to using the Dir To function in order to prevent a CTD.

Best wishes to all!

No, I did not misunderstand that. My idea was that cutting of NAV (by switching to HDG) and then enabling it again with DIR might prevent the crash. But it does not do the trick. Replacing NAV with HDG altogether might be feasible on approach, but not for the complete flight. For now, I decline DIR at climb or cruise with "unable due to aircraft problems".

Note, that I still believe in some hard to find coding error. Usual suspect for this kind of errors are racing conditions or uninitialized variables. But of course, your explanation with the library is also possible. For you it must be very hard to find a bug you cannot reproduce. Would a Youtube film help you to see what exactly I do before the error?

In any case, rest assured that I admire the work you did with the A320. Nobody has done better yet. Most tries failed completely on this complex aircraft.

I also updated the VC stuff and .NET once more. I did it before but without success (see video). Maybe I still missed some library. No idea what is different now, but I can no longer provoke the crash. Fingers crossed!

Hello mga010,

I watched your video. My thoughts are that you have to wait up until 3 to 4 minutes to see if the CTD occurs. Before applying the fixes, mine crashed close to 3 minutes after inserting the DIR TO. In your video you make your first DIR TO at 04:44 the CTD occures at 07:05 which is 02:20 min after it (of course you make several DIR TO's meanwhile but it could be the first one that leads to the CTD). After the fixes, it crashes almost instantly maybe 3 to 6 sec. after the DIR TO (crashed yesterday on flight EGKK - EDDM DIR TO DKB Dinkelsbühl).

Okay, I had several flights without problems. But today again from EDDL to EKCH shortly before final at 22L, right after DIRTO LANOX. Annoying. 

Ok, I don't iknow if it is the same problem, but I was enroute to one waypoint today, deleted that waypoint so that I could go direct to the next waypoint. This created a fltplan discontinuity, and the green route disappeared from the HSI, airplane started turning left going nowhere, and a minute afterwards before I could do anything, CTD. This happened over England. The waypoint I wanted to get to was CPT, the waypoint I deleted was really close to it but I can;t remember the name. 

Might try the same thing again sometime when I have the time. 

Ok, I don't iknow if it is the same problem, but I was enroute to one waypoint today, deleted that waypoint so that I could go direct to the next waypoint. This created a fltplan discontinuity, and the green route disappeared from the HSI, airplane started turning left going nowhere, and a minute afterwards before I could do anything, CTD. This happened over England. The waypoint I wanted to get to was CPT, the waypoint I deleted was really close to it but I can;t remember the name. 

Might try the same thing again sometime when I have the time. 

My workaround for that problem is not the delete the point I'm flying to, as I had some crashes doing this way, but deleting the next one.

For instance, flying towards B, i don't delete B but I'll delete C point.

• The Dude pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Friends,

Aerosoft has published a Hot Fix for those who are experiencing a Crash to Desktop when performing a Direct To function.

Whether or not you are experiencing this problem, I recommend you implement this Hot Fix.

Here is the LINK to the Hot Fix topic.

Happy Flights!

So i made yesterday ca. 10 DIR-TO's in a different directions with HF and P3D didn't crashed. So far, so good. Thank you very, very much. That was really disappointing bug.

J

17 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Friends,

Aerosoft has published a Hot Fix for those who are experiencing a Crash to Desktop when performing a Direct To function.

Whether or not you are experiencing this problem, I recommend you implement this Hot Fix.

Here is the LINK to the Hot Fix topic.

Happy Flights!

Just for info. What was the problem?

I can gladly say that I've experienced no CTD :)) I've used many times in the points usually I received CTD and everything has worked fine!

Thank's for your great work

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I can also confirm I'm having no issues anymore. I did a test flight and made about 10 direct to waypoint precedures and didn't suffer any CTDs.

• 1 month later...

Hi dev(s), just stopping by to give you a two thumps up. I did several flights with both the A319 and A321 after applying the DIR TO CTD FIX! and did not encounter any "fmgs.dll" related CTD ever since. Thanks a bunch!

Archived