Crash During "DIR TO"

Francescom

Regreatably, I have to report that the new hotfix FMGS.DLL file is causing FSX to shutdown, with the event viewer providing the information that the cause of the error was the FMGS.DLL.

I have the latest version of the A318/19/20/21 installed on FSX Gold (Boxed), using DX10 Fixer with Windows 10, on an i7-6700K OC 4.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX1080.

On the two occasions it happened (two nights in a row), I was at the Gate (D40 YSSY, Fly Tampa), A320 CFM, turnaround state, having just finalised the FMGS inputs after loading the plan (to YMML - DCT WOL H65 RAZZI Q29 ML). On both occasions, I had completed the FMGS and selected the Captain Flight Deck View with the mouse (having being in left MCDU view) when FSX stopped working.

I reinstalled the original 1.31 FMGS.DLL which I had kept in the relevant folder renamed (FMGS_orig.DLL, which had never caused a crash on my system) and have subsequently flown a few full flights with no issues (original full Airbus version 1.31 has never crashed my system and it would be the most used add on that I have).

My system is technician built, stable, with a very clean FSX installation - I have minimal tweaks - have HIGHMEM and I do use Affinity Mask (=84)  as recommended by HiFi for AS16 (and ASN before that).

My Antivirus (Avast) is set up to not scan *.DLL's (or E:\FSX).

According to my logbook, I have flown 3 full flights since installing the hot fix. It failed flight 4, and flight 6. I did one full flight between the two crashes with it installed.

If there is anything else you would like to know, please let me know. I do realise that it is very hard to track down.

The event viewer error was the "it could be anything" 0xc0000005 memory access violation.

Regards,

Mark

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark,

Thank you for the report.

This is a bit of a mystery, as we've had numerous users running the fix under FSX, FSX:SE and P3D (I significantly tested it under the last two under Windows 10) without a hint of a problem.

But certainly something is going on.  May I ask which version of FSX you're running?

Also, lease search this forum for information on Microsoft Visual "XXXX" Redistributable (there are several relevant posts, one if which is on Page 6 I think, but the really important one is by TomA320) and check to see how your system matches up.  I'm better that's where the problem lies.

Let us know how you make out!

Hi Dave,

My FSX is Gold (Boxed) so that is FSX Acceleration.

I omitted to state that I use Navigraph, and I have the current cycle installed.

I will check my Microsoft Distributables when I get home - I do believe they are all installed but I will check against Tom's post.

Regards,

Mark

Just to circle back, I was missing the 2010 x64 redistributable.

That may have been enough to cause the issue?

I will re-install the hot fix FMGS and will let you know how I get on, say in a week if no crashes.

Regards,

Mark

Just a report back; a week on and many flights later, the issue has not reoccurred thus it would seem in my particular case, the missing 2010 x64 Redistributable was the cause.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,

Mark

Archived