Forum Maintenance Period (02/05 - 03/05) ×

Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

will the cabin lighting be true to life including working reading lights? that would be a tight thing to do since the lights are there can it be done fin. and the conditioning vents look better as well ac maybe?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys i would like to add the the float version will be of a new type. In talks with Stefan the float version will be an Amphibian with wheels for land and water, he will be building new floats for the twotter 300 this should be interesting i sure can't and beta sure comes in handy when land on short lakes

Regards, Keith

Just because I like to dream....I will ask it!

Does this version implement the recorder like the one that is in the airbus extended?

Cheers

yes it will have the flight recorder and it will be hooked up to Google earth so you can view your flight in real time.

With the current build of the Twin Otter Extended I can start taxiing very slowly, then keep a steady speed and decellerate nce and smooth by using reverse and come out of reverse with no surge at all.

I can also steer left/right with disymetrical thrust i.e forward thrust on one engine and reverse on the other and make relative sharp turns without touching neither toebrakes or nosewheel steering.

Finn

That is excellent news! I am starting to think that the only downside to the Extended version is going to be unlearning all the habits I've picked up with the current Twin Otter.

will the overhead cabin isle lights be fully modeled in the extended because in the pics above it looks like they are not ether are the overhead cabin reading lights. Will they be in the final build of this product ?

will the overhead cabin isle lights be fully modeled in the extended because in the pics above it looks like they are not ether are the overhead cabin reading lights. Will they be in the final build of this product ?

The Cabin can be lit via nightlighing textures, but each independent reading light won´t.

And now where we are at it...

The Twin Otter Extended will come with many features, many that either hasn´t been seen yet or only on a few other addons.

We use hardware / 3D lights for all the external lighting

Almost all engine gauges are custom coded to get more accurate readings (FSX derfault turboprop values are very simplified and far from realistic)

The engines are based on the default FSX turboprop model, but are heavily tweaked inorder to act realistic.

Many flight instaruments are custom coded f.ex the ADI and it´s uncaging etc. are custom.

The autopilot is custom coded, though still loosely based on the default FSX autopilot to ensure compability with most hardware autopilot panels as far as possible.

De-icing will be an important factor on the Twin Otter Extended.

Engine management is also important, faiulures are simulated if not kept within performance limits.

Many custom animations.

But the main goal for us is still to keep it as framerate friendly as possible. I know the genneral opinion in the FS community is that if developer A is adding a cool new feature and has showed that it is possible to implement, then developer B has no excuse not to add that feature too.

While that might be true, this will iniviable led to whats called a feature fest. While all those anims (baggage loades, GPU's, "remove before flight" tags, traffic condes, inlet covers etc..) and features like weatherradar, dimmable light, individual working cabin lights, passenger models (we got requests for that too) will look good for advertisement and screenshots, I´m sure that most won´t like such a product, since it would chop at sub twenties FPS killing the entire immersion.

This means that we really need to sort between features with no or little FPS impact and features with a high impact. Those with a high impact will only be considered if it adds a real value to the product.

Our point of view is that FSX is a flightsim where 90% of the time is spend in the pilot seat, thus we mainly focus on that aspect. Though modelling and texturing offcourse should be state of the art.

So if You request a certain feature and we say NO, then it isn´t because we cannot do it, but rather because it would put our main goal on a de-route.

Finn

Well guys i would like to add the the float version will be of a new type. In talks with Stefan the float version will be an Amphibian with wheels for land and water, he will be building new floats for the twotter 300 this should be interesting i sure can't and beta sure comes in handy when land on short lakes

Regards, Keith

Is this to say that the only seaplane version will be the amphib, or will there be a straight float version as well?

Glenn

But the main goal for us is still to keep it as framerate friendly as possible. I know the genneral opinion in the FS community is that if developer A is adding a cool new feature and has showed that it is possible to implement, then developer B has no excuse not to add that feature too.

While that might be true, this will iniviable led to whats called a feature fest. While all those anims (baggage loades, GPU's, "remove before flight" tags, traffic condes, inlet covers etc..) and features like weatherradar, dimmable light, individual working cabin lights, passenger models (we got requests for that too) will look good for advertisement and screenshots, I´m sure that most won´t like such a product, since it would chop at sub twenties FPS killing the entire immersion.

This means that we really need to sort between features with no or little FPS impact and features with a high impact. Those with a high impact will only be considered if it adds a real value to the product.

Our point of view is that FSX is a flightsim where 90% of the time is spend in the pilot seat, thus we mainly focus on that aspect. Though modelling and texturing offcourse should be state of the art.

So if You request a certain feature and we say NO, then it isn´t because we cannot do it, but rather because it would put our main goal on a de-route.

Finn

This is why Aerosoft is one of my favorite developers. I wish more developers had this philosophy. Speaking of a feature fest there are some developers that will list everything that moves in the VC as a feature. I don't care! I like the doors and windows to open when applicable and everything else that is critical to aircraft operation to work as it should. Everything else gets clicked once and is just superfluous non sense that makes the list of animations longer so it looks like you are getting more for your money when you really aren't. I applaud Aerosoft for not only taking the stance that it does on this sort of thing but also being up front and unapologetic about it as well. Cheers to the dev team.

Is this to say that the only seaplane version will be the amphib, or will there be a straight float version as well?

Glenn

Hey Glenn. I am thinking there will be a straight float version as well. I requested the Amphib version cause no one built this version since the carenado 206 was released 3 years ago, and it makes for a nice change so you can ether land on water or land. This is what we fly for the MNR. Regards, Keith

Super. Thanks Keith. I've been looking at this from a commercial operator's standpoint. The two things I was really hoping for were one model in all gear configurations (floats, wheel/skis) so that you would have continuity through the seasons for a single machine, and that we'd have a pure float version since the gear really takes a lot of payload away from guys trying to make a living off it. The addition of an amphib would be great, and they certainly are around, but most operators really need as much payload as they can get, thus the hopes for the straight float version.

All sounds good Keith - thanks :).

Glenn

All awesome news guys.Looking forward to a Seaborne Airlines repaint of the -300 float to tour the American Virgin Islands.

Quick question. Using the current twin otter, (while we're on the subject of lighting) whenever I've made a flight and I'm looking at the replay, I've noticed that the aircraft lights are not depicted where they're supposed to be attached to the aircraft. They're off to the left of where the plane actually is. Is this a native FSX problem or a problem with the plane? If it is with the plane, will this be corrected? It bugs the bejesus outta me. If it's native FSX, is there a fix for it? Just thought I'd ask as this Instant Replay defect has bugged me for a while. The light would converge and reconnect with the aircraft as it gets closer to the airport. Weird...

Cheers.

All awesome news guys.Looking forward to a Seaborne Airlines repaint of the -300 float to tour the American Virgin Islands.

Quick question. Using the current twin otter, (while we're on the subject of lighting) whenever I've made a flight and I'm looking at the replay, I've noticed that the aircraft lights are not depicted where they're supposed to be attached to the aircraft. They're off to the left of where the plane actually is. Is this a native FSX problem or a problem with the plane? If it is with the plane, will this be corrected? It bugs the bejesus outta me. If it's native FSX, is there a fix for it? Just thought I'd ask as this Instant Replay defect has bugged me for a while. The light would converge and reconnect with the aircraft as it gets closer to the airport. Weird...

Cheers.

Lighting in FSX is bad, actually worse than in FS9.

In the Twin Otter Extended we have used 3D lights, which are attached within the model itself and not added via the aircraft.cfg. This should eliminate the issue You see on the old Twotter.

Finn

Lighting in FSX is bad, actually worse than in FS9.

In the Twin Otter Extended we have used 3D lights, which are attached within the model itself and not added via the aircraft.cfg. This should eliminate the issue You see on the old Twotter.

Thanks Finn. AWESOME NEWS ABOUT 3D LIGHTS! Appreciate the response.

Finn

thx for the response guys.

just one thing I saw from one of the other posts id that the max speed of the twin otter is 166 knots and the published vne is 170

so the redline speed should be 170 knots rite. in one of the cockpit screen shots I saw that the red line speed was 166 can you guys please fix that?

thx for the response guys.

just one thing I saw from one of the other posts id that the max speed of the twin otter is 166 knots and the published vne is 170

so the redline speed should be 170 knots rite. in one of the cockpit screen shots I saw that the red line speed was 166 can you guys please fix that?

Please stop telling us how to do stuff....

The VC is a 1:1 recreation of the real D-IVER. This means the cockpit layout, gauge arrangement, colorbands on the various gauges as well as markings for max torque, T5, Vne etc..

The only difference is the GPS, transponder and the inclusion of the flightdata recorder.

We have very detailed reference material, as well as seasoned Twin Otter pilots and experts to help us on these matters.

Just because You have seen some data in a book aled something like"Encyclopedia of western civil aircraft" these figures are most often way off.

Finn

yes it will have the flight recorder and it will be hooked up to Google earth so you can view your flight in real time.

Yes, it will be in all out aircraft from now on.

Thanks for the answer!

Archived