Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The modelling and texturing will be in a whole new league. Also systems will become more realistic.

It´s no secret that the current Twin Otter is an aging woman that not quite is state of the art concerning quality.

Doing the -400 would mean ALOT of additional work increasing the salesprice to where no one will buy it. The Virtual cockpit is the singlemost complex part to do on an aircraft addon. Doing both the -100 / -300 and -400 models would mean almost two seperate projects.

So what You will get thats not featured by the current Twin Otter:

-New external and internal models with more accurate proportions (we got very good reference stuff).

-Modelling and texturing that will be up to if not exceeding current state of the art.

-Flight dynamics done by our FM guru John Cagle (Catalina, GliderX, Dimona, Bronco etc..)

-Deeper systems simulation for electrical, hydraulical and fuel systems etc.

-True 3D gauges.

-Floatplanes will have propeller startlatches will be added, eliminating the "surge" forward when starting the engines.

-A few other surprices that needs some testing before putting them on the featurelist.

It will NOT be an upgrade of the current twin Otter X, but an entire new project.

Finn

Hi Finn,

I have wanted a Twin Otter for quite a while. It suits my interest in flying. The new Twotter is exciting but I I have a very low spec system:

WinXP Pro SP3 Intel Core Duo CPU E7500

2.93ghz 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD4350

I usually run around 20fps w/photoscenery in most areas except extremely dense urban or extremely detailed airports. Would I be better off with your older Twotter with my lame system?

Thanks.

Obie

Hi Finn,

I have wanted a Twin Otter for quite a while. It suits my interest in flying. The new Twotter is exciting but I I have a very low spec system:

WinXP Pro SP3 Intel Core Duo CPU E7500

2.93ghz 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD4350

I usually run around 20fps w/photoscenery in most areas except extremely dense urban or extremely detailed airports. Would I be better off with your older Twotter with my lame system?

Thanks.

Obie

Hi Obie

I actually think the new Twin Otter will run as good as the old one.

If Your default FSX aircraft run decently, then the Twin Otter extended will also with a couple of frames less.

We are doing our utmost to achieve as little impact on FPS as possible, actually that is our main focus.

This does not mean that graphical quality is compromised, nor that it only willo have low level systems simulations, if done right then it will work out just fine.

Stefan, our 3D modeller, is among the few rreal professional 3d artists with alot of knowledge from other PC gaming graphics, so he has the right tricks to make awsome looking aircrafts and at the same time not compromise performance.

Finn

Thanks Finn. I've enjoyed your Bronco so I'll get the new Twin Otter when it comes out. I worked in Vegas for a while and saw the Grand Canyon ones coming and going from McCarren often.

Obie

Btw, we got a paintkit ready for this model, if somebody wants to start repainting before release, contact me on mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com

Me !

I´ve sent you an email

I know its mean showing all these nice pictures but look at the PIC - his hand is actually moving when you increase the power...

Nice detail! :bow_down2_s:

But what happens if I make a turn on the water: One handle to the front and the otherone at reverse?

We dont go too deep into these animations - I believe its a big step forward that you actually see a virtual pilot doing more than moving his head. So moving the throttle forward and back again yes but no detailed movements as you see in real life i.e. water maneuvers.

External view - throttle position will be the average of the two throttles.

Compromises have to be made ;)

Finn

Finn, your work (and that of the entire team) is outstanding and one can hardly name it a compromise!

Btw, we got a paintkit ready for this model, if somebody wants to start repainting before release, contact me on mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com

Hi Mathijs,

Sent an email about this a few days ago. Would be interesting in repaint Skybus and Brymon.

when will the release be?????? looks so good is there any way you could put a water rubber on this and i have trouble controling it on water operations :S

:)

win air has a new twin otter livery can we get that for the extended twin otter

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/247172/pj-wij-winair-de-havilland-canada-dhc-6-twin-otter/

http://www.aircraftimages.net/display.php/de_Havilland_Canada_16385

Good suggestion, Chad. I can also get pictures and detailed photos of any of the SVG Air/Grenadine Airways twotters mentioned above if there are any interested repainters.

Cheers.

Please Aerosoft, we X-Plane 10 pilots are also really looking forward to this masterpiece, why aren't there any annoucements about this platforms ? It was only mentioned in the early pages here and nothing after.

Look what we have to fly now :

post-32409-0-57215500-1366983450_thumb.j

• Aerosoft

Please Aerosoft, we X-Plane 10 pilots are also really looking forward to this masterpiece, why aren't there any annoucements about this platforms ? It was only mentioned in the early pages here and nothing after.

Look what we have to fly now :

attachicon.gifSans titre.jpg

Let us first complete the FSX/P3D version, I promise we'll talk about it more when that is done.

Archived