---> Framerate issues, combination topic

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello ryreaves,

what version of ASN (release, beta, sp) are you running? It looks like the latest ASN service pack (as also the beta before) gives fps issues. Reverting back to the previous release version of ASN solved the issue for two users (if I counted the statements correctly).

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got fps drops in bad weather with the latest ASN sp1. (And it's not only with this aircraft but with PMDG aircraft too. But i didn't have it with the beta version. Kinda strange..

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk

• Aerosoft

I got fps drops in bad weather with the latest ASN sp1. (And it's not only with this aircraft but with PMDG aircraft too. But i didn't have it with the beta version. Kinda strange..

Well keep in mind that they are increasing the density of weather so there is more for FSX to handle. ASN is the most likely the best weather tool, but it does need a very serious amount of resources.

• Aerosoft

I think an i7 and a GTX card with 3GB was enough.

It sure is a lot, but if it is enough depends on what you ask it to do.

Keep in mind a lot in FS is logarithmic in scale. If you go from 1k to 2K textures you do not double but quadruple the amount of elements you are trying to display. With weather being a 3d scaled object doubling the resolution of the blocks that FSX uses to show weather could result in an 8 fold amount of elements to handle for the sim!

That's why we are not big on ever more increasing the resolution of things. We feel that any add-on should be extremely cautious with resources to allow other add-ons enough room to function well.

Hello fellow aviators!

Unfortuantely I will have to join the group of users with framerate issues. I am using ASN as well - have been using it, since day one. I have read this thread and the other one that contained the link to this thread in full - I used the files provided by one of the developers but this only brought minor improvement. I wanted to do a testflight from EDDL to EDDW. While standing at the terminal in a cold and dark A319 the frames were around 14-16. Usually they're around 30-40 here. Then I started taxiing to the runway and the frames dropped further to 10 and even below. I haven't had such low frames on this PC ever... speaking of which - here are my specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

6GB RAM

nVidia 770GTX

i7-920 /oc @3.8GHz per Core

With the Dash 8-Q400, the PMDG 777 or PMDG 737 I have a framerate around 25 to 35. In dense scenery rarely below 20 and never below 15. The add-ons to FSX I am using:

Active Sky Next (ASN) SP1

EZDok

FSUIPC (full version, latest ver.)

WideFS (dito)

RadarContact (latest ver.)

AES

UTX Europe

TrackIR

FSAcars (when flying for a VA)

...plus tons of add-on scenery

I tweaked my fsx.cfg a wee bit... highmemfix and some other usual stuff... my rig has been newley setup last month... the OS and FSX were freshly installed all addons are working and - as mentioned before - even complex A/C are running smoothly.

Could this be something related to simconnect? The ASN SP1 adds an extra menu-point in the add-ons menu for wx-info purposes. And I'd think it'd be interesting to know, whether any of the "troubled" users are actually using RAAS (comes along with the installation, but is optional - I haven't installed it) and/or the 3rd party add-in of FS2Crew. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Pete

With the overcast pattern fix :

Aerosoft A319 : 18fps

737 NGX : 30fps

Q400 : 30fps

Without the overcast pattern fix :

Aerosoft A319 : 30fps

So something is wrong with this fix between the Airbus and ASN
My system : i5 2500K 4.6Ghz GTX660 8GB Windows 7
My test was set in a full overcast condition.

I am using ASN with the A318/319 and my frame rates are poor but I also use ASN with other aircrafts like the NGX and even the Airbus Extended A320/321 with very good performance.

The worst frame rate drop (with the A318/319) I experienced was after updating ASN but other aircraft are still not affected. I was flying into KDCA one night with bad weather in the area and the aircraft literally froze in the aircraft and stuttered out of control very 2-3 seconds.

With the overcast pattern fix :

Aerosoft A319 : 18fps

Without the overcast pattern fix :

Aerosoft A319 : 30fps

So something is wrong with this fix between the Airbus and ASN

I can - at least partially - confirm that. I removed the OC fix and had an increase from around 13-15 to 18-20.

I then changed back something I edited in my fsx.cfg for testing some weeks ago (before buying the A318/319: I restetted my bufferpools to 0 as I didn't see any changes in tweaking that setting with other suggested values and I changed my "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION" to 0.15. On my system (may not work for everyone) this boosts my framerate, clears out stuttering and micro-stuttering and increases smootheness. I then - and only then this works on my system - limited my frames to 30 (I know that the internal limiter is topic of some controversy... but it really smoothes things over on my machine).

I applied the test-dlls from this thread (I think... it was here) yesterday and now the combination of all these settings brings my A319 in FSX to almost 30 fps. Almost as in "not quite" and "not all the time". It's better flyable now... but still it has rather poor performance compared to other aircraft... again - no finger pointing t'wards the airbus. The problem is somewhere between ASN and the Bus. When I load - say for instance the PMDG 737-600 my FPS counter (if fps are set to unlimited) goes bezerk and up to 70/80fps. With the 30fps limitation in place it never drops below 30.

Cheers,

Pete

so whats the Fix? I just updated to Sp1 from ASN and the new Hotfix from Aerosoft 319...now I can't even fly because my FPS are like 10...no Radar on and very very few clouds...I never had this problem with ANY addon including HD addons like the NGX n T7 from PMDG...what is going on here?

I went back to a clean install of the 318/319 and the first hotfix. Give me the best performance. In good weather with few clouds I get better performance than the AXE, with overcast conditions and lots of cloud layers it goes down to 10 and then at some point back to 18-24 in the same conditions. Using ASN with overcast fix on

Mathikjs was right, if you have poor frame rate, it might something on your system. I formatted my pc. Now I'm using an I7. Even with WX on my frame is huge! Better than default cessna.

• Aerosoft

Mathikjs was right, if you have poor frame rate, it might something on your system. I formatted my pc. Now I'm using an I7. Even with WX on my frame is huge! Better than default cessna.

Thanks for reporting that. As we said a few times we are NOT sure what is happening but on all systems that have been cleaned and re-installed the problems are gone.

I have a problem with ASN with bad framerates in bad weather. When i updated the FSUIPC to the latest version (released on the october 8th) My issues are gone, i think that was the a318/a319 or ASN but in fact the previous version of the FSUIPC had issues, so is required to update and deactivate any weather settings on the FSUIPC options

Thanks for reporting that. As we said a few times we are NOT sure what is happening but on all systems that have been cleaned and re-installed the problems are gone.

I wonder if these issue have something to do with high resolution monitors as my rig is tops and it does not like wxr on - I am running asus 27" widescreen lcd 2560 x 1440 monitor on a Titan - just a thought

Good info Jason - I have the latest but have not checked any weather settings in it - I do believe there are none on by default in fsuipc

I have a problem with ASN with bad framerates in bad weather. When i updated the FSUIPC to the latest version (released on the october 8th) My issues are gone, i think that was the a318/a319 or ASN but in fact the previous version of the FSUIPC had issues, so is required to update and deactivate any weather settings on the FSUIPC options

Next hope is gone :( Just updated an no succes here. Fog seems to be the worst thing on my system. There is no need to start ASN, The FSX "fogged in" theme gives me a framedrop from 40fps down to 4 fps (the lowest). "Gray and Rainy) is also bad but no as bad as fogged in. "Major Thunderstorm" is much better. Seems to be something with the haze or fog layer ...

I have to say Mathijs, after installing SP1, the issues with bad frames are gone, (on my pc) lol.

re-activated the ASN fix (repeating ovc pattern) which was a problem before, now with the weatherscanning option to 0 i have again 30-50 fps and higher on cruise.

Very well done!. even when i turn the radar on i have no frame drops now.

Little remark, other problem could be an issue with the Samsung 840 EVO SSD. it has a flaw in the firmware. Files older than 30 days could be accessed with a speed of only 50mb instead of 500mb /sec.

Could be this contributed also to the issues ofcourse. samsung released a fix 2 days ago for this issue.

Link (in Dutch) sorry :)http://tweakers.net/nieuws/98686/samsung-brengt-15-oktober-fix-uit-voor-snelheidsdegradatie-840-evo-ssds.html

thanks for all the efforts made, i'm a happy camper again

Regards,

Mark

Only a littel feedback to my FPS problems, i think it is fair to make a feedback if somthing is working and not only if somthing is not working

For me, the problems are gone after install the A318/A319 V1.10 and install ASN SP1.

I replace ASN and the Airbus with a fresh install of both software in the new versions.

No changes in the config of ASN or the Airbus all is standart.
I have done 10 flight's now without the FPS Problem, all things work very well...

I hope that it will work in the future :-)

Happy weekend

Sven

Hi Sven,

That sounds great, so you made no change to the Airbus configuration in regards to the weather radar scanning; you are still using the weather radar, you have the ASN pattern fix still turned on and you are using ASN and you have no problems with FPS, but you the FPS issues as described here before?

Kind regards,

Joe

With the SP1 the frames improved a wee bit... but "framewise" still not close to PMDG's 737, 747, 777, MD-11 or Majestic's Dash 8-Q400. I compared the A319 and the Dash 8-Q400 today after installing the SP1 and the frames with the Dash 8-Q400 were significantly better than the bus. The route I took had real bad weather today with heavy rain and multiple cloud layers. I will try the other options in the airbus-setup (software rendering for some/all of the displays) etc. The Dash 8 was around 30-50 frames. The Bus was around 12-15 going up to 20 frames but dropping below 10 too, although there was no significant change in scenery or weather (no increasing cloud coverage or extra dense scenery).

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Sven,

That sounds great, so you made no change to the Airbus configuration in regards to the weather radar scanning; you are still using the weather radar, you have the ASN pattern fix still turned on and you are using ASN and you have no problems with FPS, but you the FPS issues as described here before?

Kind regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

correct, before ASN SP1 and Airbus V1.10 i had the Problem that the FPS drop down to ~5 FPS in combination of both software.

After that i wait for both updates and than i delete both Software versions on me computer.

After that i clean the Registry so that i can be sure that nothing of the software is on my computer.

Then i restart my computer an install first the Airbus like Mathijs told us. (Only 1 change, i can't stop my Norton anti virus).

Next step was to start the sim and fly without ASN on my last test route (EDDH-EDDS) all works perfect.

After restart the computer, i make a fresh installation of ASN SP1. and reastart the computer.

Then start the FSX with the A319 and ASN SP1 real weahter and make a new flight on my test route. All works fine...

All the time i do not change anything in the settings of ASN SP1 or the Airbus V1.10...

After that i make a couple of flights with different weather situtions. All flights was with wx radar on (auto and man mode).

All flights were ok. The FPS drops down in a normal weather situation about 5-8 FPS if the wx radar is on.

On an heavy weather situation it drops down about -10 or 15 FPS.

So that mean for my system, that i have now about 20-25 FPS in bad weather situation. Before, i had about ~5 FPS in the heavy weather situation.

Sven

Hi Joe,

correct, before ASN SP1 and Airbus V1.10 i had the Problem that the FPS drop down to ~5 FPS in combination of both software.

After that i wait for both updates and than i delete both Software versions on me computer.

After that i clean the Registry so that i can be sure that nothing of the software is on my computer.

Then i restart my computer an install first the Airbus like Mathijs told us. (Only 1 change, i can't stop my Norton anti virus).

Next step was to start the sim and fly without ASN on my last test route (EDDH-EDDS) all works perfect.

After restart the computer, i make a fresh installation of ASN SP1. and reastart the computer.

Then start the FSX with the A319 and ASN SP1 real weahter and make a new flight on my test route. all works fine...

All the time i do not change anything in the settings of ASN SP1 or the Airbus V1.10...

After that i make a couple offlight with different weather situtions. All flight with wx radar on (auto and man mode).

All flights was ok. the FPS drops down in a normal waether situation about 5-8 FPS if the wx radar is on.

On an heavy weather situation it drops down about 10-15 FPS.

So that mean for my system, that i have now about 20-25 FPS in bad weather situation. Before, i had about ~5 FPS in the heavy weather situation.

Sven

Thank you Sven for the details, I will try to do a fresh install tonight, when I'm home of both Airbus and ASN and see if that makes any difference, hopefully I will also have the same result has you.

• Aerosoft

Hi Joe,

Then start the FSX with the A319 and ASN SP1 real weahter and make a new flight on my test route. all works fine...

After that i make a couple offlight with different weather situtions. All flight with wx radar on (auto and man mode).

All flights was ok. the FPS drops down in a normal waether situation about 5-8 FPS if the wx radar is on.

On an heavy weather situation it drops down about 10-15 FPS.

Sven

Thanks for that report Sven.

I know it is a nasty bit of advise but with your report we now have 12 users who had the problem and re-installed things only to see the issue solved.

Thanks for that report Sven.

I know it is a nasty bit of advise but with your report we now have 12 users who had the problem and re-installed things only to see the issue solved.

Hi Mathijs,

This works for me only with the new service pack.

With V1.0 and the Hot Fix and ASN that was not an sulotion.

So something happanes with ASN SP1 an the Airbus V1.10.

But i don't know what the differents are. Sorrry...

I will play with the settings of ASN SP1 to see what happens right after coming home.

Sven

Archived