Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Mmmm I have to check on that, but at least one document I got here clearly states there is no on ground/in air sensor that could disconnect nose wheel steering. Perhaps there are differences in version with this. I'll find out.

Thanks for the reply, Mathijs. I was pointing out purely to the animation error. Not technical or procedural.

Allow me to explain: FSX limitations forces you guys to link the nose wheel animation/functionality to the rudder. For instance, although the Twotter's nose wheel lever behind the yoke could be animated, it can only be activated in conjunction with the rudder pedals. Essentially, there is no such a thing as a stand alone nose wheel control in FSX. That makes the animation tricky, since unlike the rudder, the nose wheel doesn't move all the time.

The animation of the nose wheel in the current Twin Otter is different than all the other fixed tricycle landing gears I've seen on other FSX aircraft (including default ones) in two ways:

1) it moves when the aircraft is stationary.

2) it moves when the aircraft is airborne.

The first case is technically impossible to reproduce in real life. The second case may be possible, but I doubt it is allowed as drag will put unnecessary stress on the entire structure. This second case I believe is what you said you were going to look for in your documents.

Default FSX aircraft and the likes of Carenado, etc. not only disable the nose wheel animation midair/stationary, but also minimise the rotating angle as the aircraft speeds up. In fact pretty much every aircraft I have does this regardless of the type of its undercarriage. That's why I always assumed this was an error that had gone unnoticed by your previous beta testers.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about the nose wheel, it will behave as it should. The Bronco has the same issue and we already fixed it there.

Super. Thanks.

Looks great! Agreed with Matt, thought I could do it but you are making it harder....

Indeed. Running out of fingernails here.... Preview of the -300 model with 3 blade props? Winair? Preetty please? :groupflip_s:

Quick question...can we please get a three bladed version with airstairs so we can do the conmuter airline thing? (And since it represents about 90% of them flying in the world?).

I've never seen an example of a four-bladed twotter except fr the new Viking version...looking good though

Thanks,

Kent

• Aerosoft

Quick question...can we please get a three bladed version with airstairs so we can do the conmuter airline thing? (And since it represents about 90% of them flying in the world?).

I've never seen an example of a four-bladed twotter except fr the new Viking version...looking good though

Thanks,

Kent

yes don't worry, will be included.

The autopilot on the current Twin Otter X was way too difficult to use in flight, especially operating the buttons/knobs :-( something more modern and well adapted to the 3D cockpit.

Thanks,

Kent

There are a lot of the 4 bladed varients here in the US especially on the sky diving ones and the Vistaliner.

There are a lot of the 4 bladed varients here in the US especially on the sky diving ones and the Vistaliner.

Yep. Gotta love and respect the Raisbeck engineering mods. We had one operating here in the caribbean out of St. Lucia for Helenair Caribbean. That thing performed and it WAS noticably quieter than other twotters.

What is not really visible in those pictures, but will be very noticeable in the release version is how the fuselage panels overlap (from top to bottom they are like roof tiles to avoid water leaking in). I think this has never been done in any aircraft. It creates a far more 3d feel of the fuselage.

You can transport that feature to the Airbus X Extended model too :P

• Aerosoft

You can transport that feature to the Airbus X Extended model too :P

No, on the Airbus they are flush, mounted on a frame. On the Twotter many panels are only connected to other panels, not a frame. One of the reasons she tends to be very noisy.

• Aerosoft

Here is the preliminary (!!!!) list of what we think we'll do.

• 100 normal wheels 620 shp (4 blades)
  • 300 normal wheels 620 shp (3 blades) normal door
  • 300 normal wheels 620 shp (3 blades) air stair
  • 300 tundra wheels 620 shp
  • 300 floats 620 shp
  • 300 ski/wheel 620 shp

• 100 normal wheels 620 shp (streamlined exhaust)
    • 100 normal wheels 550 shp
    • 100 tundra wheels 620 shp
    • 100 tundra wheels 550 shp
    • 100 floater 550 shp
    • As always we'll do detailed flight models for all versions but will default to one VC and one sound set. After initial release we'll consider doing the normal door/ air stair for more models. We still have to look at interiors (cargo/pax/ too many pax).

We'll listen to comments but make no promises.

So many -100 versions? :-( since I bought the original version I flew the -100 tundra wheels once and in fact the only time I flew the -100 model. The rest of the time the -300 wheel version and every now and then the float version (useful).

I hope the interior will be devoid of artificial looking puppets that are becoming way too common in some a/c. IMHO those unnatural looking puppets take away from the realism. The pilot/copilot on the Twotter X look fine.

I hope the navigation instruments are easy to read as I love to use the Twotter for doing pure navigation, I am not a fan of following the red GPS line :-) give me the VOR with CDI and DME (will there be a variant with 2 VORs?) and I will navigate anywhere.

Very anxious about this new Twotter.

Ski only -100 (Kenn Borek Air) would be great. But so long as BAS' wheel/ski is included (with fuel barrels cargo, etc. like in the current version), I will have no little reason to complain!!

-300 FLOATS?????!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! SEABORNE AIRLINES!!!!! YESS!! Oh! I'm so happy.....(crying).................it's gonna be so beautiful......(blowing my nose)........Trans Maldivian......Aerosoft Maldives X......gonna need a vacation from dash 8 flying......a long one......Thanks Mathijs and Aerosoft Team! :bow_down2_s:

Looking really good Mathijs, I predict I will be crashing the new Twotter into Luka's runway many times :lol:

Hi Matt Smith,

I think its realy bad to write things like this, people died that day!

Its not funny, so please grow up!

I like the 100....The 100 with normal wheels & three blades could be used to do the Canadian Forces CC-138s....Plus, if you later decide to do a -100 with three blades and air stairs, that would be the ultimate. I am ABSOLUTELY looking forward to this release...Finn did a WONDERFUL job on the Bronco...can't wait for this. Paint kits too, please!

Kent

Archived