Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Aerosoft

They started production last year or something, about one aircraft delivered each month. Looks like they are doing pretty well.

How long does it usually take to make an addon of the quality you're going for here?

About 5 months.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy cow! The best flight sim news in years! This is my all time favourite aircraft and I can't wait to get a better version of it for the sim. The current version is OK, but definetly has room for some improvement. I used to fly these a lot when Widerøe's Flyveselskap and the RNoAF operated them in Norway:

My hopes in terms of improvements:

* If not all systems are simulates, at least make all buttons and swithches animated so they can be used for procedural simulation.

* Sound. This is the weakest area of the current version in my opinion. Especially the sound at full take off power is lacking the intense "humming" of the real aircraft. I also hope you manage to replicate some of the other distinct Twin Otter sounds like the ones heard here:

Listen to the "flapping" noise of the profellers spinning, the "whining" noise at 0:13 into this video (And in the end while taxiing from 13:19 - 14:12), and the propeller noise at the very end 14:12-14:15 - All very distinct Twotter sounds:

The above video also has a very good recording of the take off sound, although it lacks the lower tones/bass (video cameras are usually bad at recording bass sounds).

Good luck with the project! My credit card will be right here waiting.

About 5 months.

Ah, very good, thanks. Some new Alaskan scenery and a new Twotter at the same time if everything pans out then.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to a report from a Twin Otter 400 being ferried to Russia from Anchorage: link. Nice interiour pictures and a good read.

I purchased last month during the sale, but I realize that progress often comes with a cost so I'd be happy to purchase a new version.

My hopes are that for any complex aircraft... that any system or switch or value that is simulated outside of the MSFS engine would expose a local xml variable to allow it to be read or set by an external controller / panel.

For example if there is an independant autopilot, that the heading / altitude / driver values could be read or set. Likewise, if there is a "fancy anti-ice" system, then to include a variable to read/write the system's status (L:fancy_anti-ice_system_status, enum) and other variables to indicate the amount of fancy ice being modelled (L:amount_of_fancy_ice_on_left_wing, number).

Cannot wait for a brand new Twotter in HD!!

This is probably just nitpicking and won't bother anyone but a few anal retentive detail freaks like myself... Regarding the Wheel/Ski version (if included, of course), please sort out the ski animation and make it work properly like the default Maule: animated suspension and wheel contact points (class 1) when skis are up; animated suspension and ski contact points (class 16) when skis are down.

The current model just doesn't work. It's either animated class 1 contact points with skis up or rigid ones with no suspension animation with skis down. This is hard coded into the model. Fixing the CFG file won't do any good.

Another animation issue that is not limited to just one model is the nose wheel. It keeps turning with the rudders mid-air. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen.

The twin Otter is Hands-down my favourite aircraft of all time, I still cant belive I am reading this?????? I need to pinch myself again..... oh dear me I'm all giddy now jee whizz! :eyepop_s:

From the bottom of my heart I thank you Aerosoft

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID! Super excited. Thanks so much aerosoft.

Very happy to hear this. I love the current Twin Otter, but it lacks any system complexity so I don't use it as much as I would like to. Glad to hear there is going to be something like the real thing coming down the pipe. You will have a customer in me.

Cheers,

Thad

Holy cow! The best flight sim news in years! This is my all time favourite aircraft and I can't wait to get a better version of it for the sim. The current version is OK, but definetly has room for some improvement. I used to fly these a lot when Widerøe's Flyveselskap and the RNoAF operated them in Norway:

My hopes in terms of improvements:

* If not all systems are simulates, at least make all buttons and swithches animated so they can be used for procedural simulation.

* Sound. This is the weakest area of the current version in my opinion. Especially the sound at full take off power is lacking the intense "humming" of the real aircraft. I also hope you manage to replicate some of the other distinct Twin Otter sounds like the ones heard here:

Listen to the "flapping" noise of the profellers spinning, the "whining" noise at 0:13 into this video (And in the end while taxiing from 13:19 - 14:12), and the propeller noise at the very end 14:12-14:15 - All very distinct Twotter sounds:

The above video also has a very good recording of the take off sound, although it lacks the lower tones/bass (video cameras are usually bad at recording bass sounds).

Good luck with the project! My credit card will be right here waiting.

On the 1st video:

WOAH!!! Scary conditions - I love flying in Norway - super overwhealming bad and unforgiving weather conditions on those airports on the west coast... Love it...

Mas

Very nice!

Wishlist:

- Landinglights that illuminate the runway like with the A320

- In both pax and cargo version a good aircraft loading module, showing you passengers and cargo in line with loading percentage

- Realistic engine management as with the Bronco (but you mentioned that already ;) )

- 2D popup for the GPS

Best regards,

Frank

Excellent news Mathijs

I love the Twotter and a fresh lick of paint is what it needs, so to speak. Better start practicing those Lukla landings in readiness for this one.

Cheers.

• Aerosoft

Very nice!

Wishlist:

- Landinglights that illuminate the runway like with the A320

- In both pax and cargo version a good aircraft loading module, showing you passengers and cargo in line with loading percentage

- Realistic engine management as with the Bronco (but you mentioned that already ;) )

- 2D popup for the GPS

Best regards,

Frank

Think you can count on all of that Frank.

Archived