Unsatisfying response to an open topic

allnetman

I am totally blown away by a response from developer ( Hans Hartmann ) He declared a issue closed  without so much as a suggestion of how to fix the issue. Therefore I will try again. 

Installed the new CRJ 550/700 for MSFS today.  Found that the clear button on the MCDU on the captain's side does not remove characters from the scratch pad. This does work on the first officer's MCDU. I have tried moving the spoiler lever out of the way. Also tried activating the button from a different angle/view/zoom. When hovering over the button the cursor does not change to the pointing finger. The cursor does displays as a full hand. Again the behavior seems to work perfectly on the first officer's MCDU.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, the clickspot for that button can be a bit tricky because of the spoiler lever. But from most angles the very left side of the CLR button works.

On 3/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, Secondator said:

Yes, the clickspot for that button can be a bit tricky because of the spoiler lever. But from most angles the very left side of the CLR button works.

:D This is why I pull the spoiler lever while I'm doing the dispatch work.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

What’s the status with this issue ? Is there a resolution, as I’ve got the same problem.

The spoiler lever change was the first thing I tried.

CLR button is there, and placing cursor over it, changes to a hand.

Then you press it…nothing happens.

Please advice what to do

• Deputy Sheriffs

TBH, but there is no issue. Like in RL you sometimes have to mave your body/head/hand to get control over something.

In this case, when moving the mouse cursor from the left to the CLR button, I have no problem to get it working.

I have the same issue as well, quite frustrating as bouncing around in the air with TrackIR is making you prone to make mistakes. I think this can be saved if the very large clickzone of the spoiler is decreased.

If you have an old tablet lying around you can always use this app https://www.aviaworx.com/aviacdu it allows you to have the FMC remote, I personally use an old iPad Mini. It is $13.99, I use it on all of my flights, I purchased it through the Aerosoft store https://www.aerosoft.com/us/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-tools/3397/aviaworx-aviacdu-single-cdu-license-msfs.

CDU_CRJ-393x600.jpg

That's definitely something nice to have, but wouldn't work in VR for example. And let's be honest, it would be a lot nicer if you can just operate the FMC without needing to move the spoiler, especially when you are already in the air ;)

True, I do not use VR but I do use a Tracking system, Smoothtrack. For VR it must be a real PITA to use in a heavy stress environment like VATSIM. My issue after I understood the spoiler placement was not so much the CLR key but having to use the mouse and every time I wanted to use the FMC I would have to pause the tracking to be able to use and see the FMC properly, the CRJ is not an aircraft that can be left alone for long. With the iPad I am able to just glance over and make any changes very quickly, it has really helped me perform correctly online in stressed situations. 

Am 16.2.2022 um 18:36 schrieb Ircghost:

That's definitely something nice to have, but wouldn't work in VR for example. And let's be honest, it would be a lot nicer if you can just operate the FMC without needing to move the spoiler, especially when you are already in the air ;)

I know what you are talking about but I don't have any issues with it flying in VR and I will explain you why:

If you jump into VR and have no saved custom views, you basicaly have your head "fixed" and zoom in to see things. In such a way, the spoiler lever (which is a 3D model) will most certanly be kind of in "your way" to hit buttons or keys beyond it.

If you would move your head (as in real life) you would probably end up hitting your display or desk because you don't have the spare room of a cockpit environment.

What I do is I set up custom views which I then bind to buttons on my controllers. In that way I kind of "emulate" where I think my head and point of view would be in the real aircraft. The FMC view is saved in such a way so that the spoiler lever is "far away" from the CLR key.

Having those few special views set up, I never encounter any issues with the big click spot ;) 

That's indeed a very good suggestion, and I should probably use custom views a bit more :).

--

However, and this is the last time I'll say this (I promise :P) those are all workarounds for something that can be fixed natively by giving the spoiler a more reasonable (smaller) clickspot.

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, the glaring problem is not that the user needs to change to a custom view, or move their head...The problem is that the clickspot of the spoiler lever is too large. Test it for two seconds, its inaccurate to the size of the lever, which is already large enough on it's own.

• Aerosoft
On 2/16/2022 at 1:23 PM, Jeremy Jeffreys said:

If you have an old tablet lying around you can always use this app https://www.aviaworx.com/aviacdu it allows you to have the FMC remote, I personally use an old iPad Mini. It is $13.99, I use it on all of my flights, I purchased it through the Aerosoft store https://www.aerosoft.com/us/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-tools/3397/aviaworx-aviacdu-single-cdu-license-msfs.

If you are a bit more adventurous, find any old display (the smaller the better), undock and drag the 
CDU onto it and make your own hardware keypad using LeoBodnar USB board and a bunch of pushbuttons available

in lots of leisure electronic shops.
All the technical details and RPN scripts in the post below : 

16 hours ago, SimWare said:

If you are a bit more adventurous, find any old display (the smaller the better), undock and drag the 
CDU onto it and make your own hardware keypad using LeoBodnar USB board and a bunch of pushbuttons available

in lots of leisure electronic shops.
All the technical details and RPN scripts in the post below : 

Or you know, aerosoft can make the clickspot smaller :)

23 hours ago, Justin J said:

I mean, the glaring problem is not that the user needs to change to a custom view, or move their head...The problem is that the clickspot of the spoiler lever is too large. Test it for two seconds, its inaccurate to the size of the lever, which is already large enough on it's own.

This has bugged me about the CRJ since day one, the spoiler lever's clickspot is twice the size of the lever itself, and I have no idea why.

• Aerosoft
6 hours ago, Justin J said:

Or you know, aerosoft can make the clickspot smaller :)

🙂🙂 I was only referring to general cockpit building tricks.

Archived