Preview: Hughes H1 Racer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really great!

I wonder, how you taxi this plane to the runway. It doesn't look like you see anything to the front (even left or right).

Maybe you should consider modelling someone walking alongside the plane pointing in the direction you have to go :D:D (just joking).

• Aerosoft
Looks really great!

I wonder, how you taxi this plane to the runway. It doesn't look like you see anything to the front (even left or right).

Maybe you should consider modelling someone walking alongside the plane pointing in the direction you have to go :D:D (just joking).

It is indeed a major issue, the modern replica used a camera mounted under the fuselage.

But the old one (the one we are doing) had a mechanism to raise the seat. And of course the pilot could lean left and right. All these three options will be done use different views from the VC. Still taxiing in a zig zag mode will be needed as with so many tail draggers.

• 2 weeks later...

She looks good. Can't wait to fly her.

How great would it be to also have the original Hughes's Culver City facility scenery as well? That'd be a great scenery to make for anyone with skills in the area.

What many dont know today is, that Hughes influence on the helicopter development in the united states was great.

After the power straining years in the 40s Hughes made a step back.

He invested in the XH-28 Project, a really HUGE :) Helicopter.

The rotor diameter was so immense, that you could easily count every

rotation. You had to climb 4 or 5 meters up into the cockpit. But it flew.

It was really like an alien insect coming toward you and when we compare

today helicopters, this thing looks like from another world.

The AH-64 Apache concepts and prototypes were also from Hughes Companies.

He invested in the XH-28 Project, a really HUGE Helicopter.

The rotor diameter was so immense, that you could easily count every

rotation. You had to climb 4 or 5 meters up into the cockpit. But it flew.

Actually brother23, while there was some wind tunnel testing of the XH-28 and a full scale "mock-up" was constructed, it was never fully formally built and so alas never flew. Not even once...

In fact the flying variant was the XH-17 Sky Crane, the XH-28 was nothing more than a doubled massed skycrane with streamlined forms around the base mechanical structures. Neither the XH-17 nor the XH-28 had gone in serial production, because Hughes and his partners understood that physical size wasnt as effective as they thought in this are. But I can only say again: Folks, look at this carzy slowing rotor! You think it drops out of the sky every moment, but it doesnt. MAGIC!

So when you take an 1cm iron rod with a length of one meter into your hands, it seems stiff. The more length you add, the more it becomes like a sphagetti in behaviour. Not extreme, but you can feel and imagine what happens to thinner and lighter produced rotors at extreme length. So advance this on the rotors with 1952 materials. When you at some mass on the helicopter they should really bend crazy, if they manage to add enough lift so the heli can fly. LOL

Do you know what I idea I exactly had now when writing?

Some really nice things with helicopters !

:D

that contains the magic I await from flying. When you can almost really see the natural forces working. I think I really felt in love with helicopters!!!

Some time ago I could try out an Albatros Ultralight, some style of 2-seat ultralight cesna. The engine sits really near in front you doing nice vibrations and the throttle lever is under your tail. This thing isnt flying really fast but It makes a crazy fun to pull her straight up then reducing throttle, standing on the tail you drop SMOOTHLY back into the vertical, gliding directly to the treetops where the birds begin to evacuate... :0)

This old style flying you can also find with the H-1. You can even fly to 370 MPH (straight sea level) with the H-1A (with almost empty tanks) or more gently cruise the landscape with the H-1B (long wings), but both versions have sportivity AND FLEXIBILITY also to go at 150 MPH for sight-seeing. Also this Racer operated from concrete runways and dirt, gravel strips as well.

Yes, in fact if you want to see the XH-17 in actual film footage, along with other interesting aircraft from a 1952 newsreel, then check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMJOS2VWaPU

Note the XH-17 is the last aircraft to be seen and it is amazing to watch it fly.

RADICAL...

We just got to have that eight-foot span microplane! You could probably build it as a "model" and "bend" the rules. Any airworthiness guy that comes along can be told "Oh, it's just a toy..."

:wink: :lol: