EDDF v2 in P3Dv3 - 28 Flights and 28 OOMs

LarsL

Gents,

I've tried all weekend to land at EDDF v2 and after 28 flights I give up, I have gotten an OOM in P3Dv3 every freaking single time!

I have no problems starting a flight out of EDDF, with any aircraft, at any time of day. When I fly into EDDF it's a different story, I usually start hearing the high VAS chime as I get within 10 nm, once I made it to final and I was about 5 nm away from the runway.

The airport looks great, no question, but if I cannot even land a small Duke Turbine or Learjet without an OOM, then there is no point in using EDDF as a destination.

I've gone through a wide range of settings, from normal autogen, with only 1024 textures, 4.5 nm LOD and no AI traffic to dense autogen and 1024 textures with medium AI traffic, it seems to make no difference. The most demanding scenery I have is FlyTampa CYYZ, nomal autogen with only 1024 textures and medium AI traffic never ever gives me an OOM there.

Having read through some of the other EDDF v2 VAS usage threads I get the impression that Aerosoft and the developers seem to be in some sort of denial about this VAS problem with EDDF v2 that has frustrated me all weekend. Please wake up, there is a most definitely a VAS problem and I hope you can find the cause and fix it.

Skål!

Lars

I made a flight today from EGLL (Mega Airport London Heathrow) to EDDF v2 and had no issues (free VAS was at around 400MB after arriving at the gate which is not much but these are two huge sceneries). My settings are quite high and my free VAS after starting from EGLL was about 1GB.

I would check the following:

• Multiple Sceneries for EDDF which are overloading each other?
  • Heavy Airport Scenery in the vicinity of EDDF?
  • Disable all other sceneries / add ons except the departing and arriving one
  • Reduce global texture resolution
  • Reduce autogen
  • Reduce other settings

What helps me to determine the VAS usage and general performance of airports is FSiPanel (http://www.fsipanel.com/) - here you can select an airport, runway and a waypoint (e.g. 8nm final) and FSiPanel will move your aircraft to that location - afterwards you're able to fly the approach and monitor the performance.

If you send me your Prepar3D settings (screenshots) and infos about relevant add ons you're using i could make a testflight and give you the results.

Best regards

Florian

vor 20 Stunden , busychild sagte:

... any photosceneries installed?

..these tend to eat ram even if on the other side of the globe

Same problem P3D v3.2, it is a killer for the entire region, not just the airport itself.

fps rate is good, VAS is bad, pmdg/ifly heavies hardly make to EDDF.

Interesting...For me I've now flown there in the AS_A320 and iFly 747-400v2 with no issue on arrival.  However, on both cases i flew out of AS_LHR extended and my issue is with leaving that area I have to save and restart. I wonder if you have too much going on with you CFG file.  Perhaps trash it and let P3Dv3.2 rebuild it and fly with that as a test.  I can confirm that for me EDDFv2 (with 50% AI from UT2) is farrrrrr better on VAS than AS_KSMF and AS_EGLL. 

On 29.5.2016 at 23:59, LarsL sagte:

Having read through some of the other EDDF v2 VAS usage threads I get the impression that Aerosoft and the developers seem to be in some sort of denial about this VAS problem with EDDF v2 that has frustrated me all weekend. Please wake up, there is a most definitely a VAS problem and I hope you can find the cause and fix it.

Sorry, but if you had read the entire "Mega Airport Frankfurt V2 VAS Use" topic and especially the statements made by @Tom A320 there, you would know that this is not true. The Aerosoft staff is well aware of the VAS and FPS problems quite a few users (including me) ran into, and they also want to solve those problems, as far as it is possible. See this posting by Tom, for example: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/112271-mega-airport-frankfurt-v2-vas-use/&do=findComment&comment=756796

I think that we simply have to be patient, since VAS and FPS problems probably are not easy to solve at an airport like EDDF which is very complex already by its nature. And I suppose that those problems are even more difficult to be solved if they only occur on some computers and in some flight simulators - so that the Aerosoft staff and the developers have to recreate the surroundings that create those problems. So give them time.

No problems with fps rate performance, only VAS. Just needs a patch like what was released for Tegel v2 (which is still kinda VASy but operable and will not cause an OOM).

On 5/29/2016 at 6:36 PM, busychild said:

I made a flight today from EGLL (Mega Airport London Heathrow) to EDDF v2 and had no issues (free VAS was at around 400MB after arriving at the gate which is not much but these are two huge sceneries). My settings are quite high and my free VAS after starting from EGLL was about 1GB.

I would check the following:

• Disable all other sceneries / add ons except the departing and arriving one
  • Reduce global texture resolution
  • Reduce autogen
  • Reduce other settings

What helps me to determine the VAS usage and general performance of airports is FSiPanel (http://www.fsipanel.com/) - here you can select an airport, runway and a waypoint (e.g. 8nm final) and FSiPanel will move your aircraft to that location - afterwards you're able to fly the approach and monitor the performance.

If you send me your Prepar3D settings (screenshots) and infos about relevant add ons you're using i could make a testflight and give you the results.

Best regards

Florian

Thanks for the offer Florian, I'm not new to this hobby and I can do similar performance testing by saving a flight 8 nm from final too.

It's simply very frustrating to finally have a great new EDDF version and then not being able to fly any approaches into EDDF v 2 due to OOMs happening at every flight.

16 hours ago, keino333 said:

Interesting...For me I've now flown there in the AS_A320 and iFly 747-400v2 with no issue on arrival. 

I think Aerosoft should give you a medal. :D

Skål!

Lars

10 hours ago, FWAviation said:

Sorry, but if you had read the entire "Mega Airport Frankfurt V2 VAS Use" topic and especially the statements made by @Tom A320 there, you would know that this is not true. The Aerosoft staff is well aware of the VAS and FPS problems quite a few users (including me) ran into, and they also want to solve those problems, as far as it is possible. See this posting by Tom, for example: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/112271-mega-airport-frankfurt-v2-vas-use/&do=findComment&comment=756796

I think that we simply have to be patient, since VAS and FPS problems probably are not easy to solve at an airport like EDDF which is very complex already by its nature. And I suppose that those problems are even more difficult to be solved if they only occur on some computers and in some flight simulators - so that the Aerosoft staff and the developers have to recreate the surroundings that create those problems. So give them time.

I also see Tom's screenshots on the first page of that thread showing just how much VAS he has left, which to me comes across as "look here, there is plenty of VAS left, there is really no problem with EDDF v2".

Skål!

Lars

3 minutes ago, keino333 said:

lol... Still however, I'm curious as to what is causing your Ooms.  Did you have EDDF 1.03 installed before?

No, I never could get that to run properly with P3D, so I didn't even bother when P3Dv3 was released.

I have UTX Europe v2 and Orbx Vector with everything turned off apart from the streams and rivers, and have FS Global Ultimate Mesh. I use REX soft clouds and don't have a lot of German airports installed, just the new Berlin and Munich.

Skål!

Lars

2 hours ago, LarsL said:

No, I never could get that to run properly with P3D, so I didn't even bother when P3Dv3 was released.

I have UTX Europe v2 and Orbx Vector with everything turned off apart from the streams and rivers, and have FS Global Ultimate Mesh. I use REX soft clouds and don't have a lot of German airports installed, just the new Berlin and Munich.

Skål!

Lars

I don't have UTX ..I use FTX /Orbx 100% with FS Global as well.  So EULC and Vector but I have 420 plus scenery addon active in P3Dv3.2. (I don't turn anything off.that doesn't have issues) 

My Berlin (Mega is off - major memory hog) do you have that one or are you talking Tegel?  If Mega Berlin I would suggest you turn it off.

• Aerosoft

I doubt Tegel will have any influence on VAS is you have not been there in the same session. Both Tegel and Frankfurt V2 do not have any objects with sight ranges that overlap. Now if you start at Tegel and then slew to Frankfurt you will see the standard silly stuff in FSX where Tegel is not fully unloaded (in P3d V3 it will be in about 90 seconds, in FSX:STEAM it will be at a certain moment and in FSX:SP2 it just might). But you will see exactly the same if you slew in from an airport in Asia.

Berlin is complex as we have two high detail airports there that DO overlap in visual range. But Berlin and Frankfurt do not. Of course any active scenery takes a bit of memory no matter where it is located (that's why we advise simstarter or a tool like that to manage scenery sets) but serious effects, no.

I written this a few times, but if you got our Night Environment scenery running, make sure it is disabled during day time flights. FSX and P3D are currently not able to delete non visible objects from memory and having a few million lights loaded (and lights have a long visual range, much more then terrain etc) will have a very serious impact on VAS. Also tweaks like increased texture size (a lot of people have 4k textures set even though they have no 4k texture scenery addons) matter a lot.

In the end, compare the add-on scenery with the default scenery (just a matter of disabling it) and see what effect the add-on scenery has. Only that way you know what the VAS load of the add-on is.

Mathijs, I'm sorry if I sound blunt but we as consumers aren't getting slower PCs or suddenly increasing settings. These issues occur when a new scenery is installed. Which I would conclude has a higher demand on a fix resource (VAS).

it's getting ever more disappointing that developers are now producing now addons on the basis that we must reduce complexity in other areas to avoid a CTD, as though we are DIY testers and they need not limit VAS impact. I propose it'd be more responsible to set a VAS target in the software requirements when commissioning a scenery project and by testing ensure the scenery doesn't exceed it. And inform us all what extra demands the product will make before we buy, or provide trial versions of every product.

On 31 May 2016 at 7:34 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

In the end, compare the add-on scenery with the default scenery (just a matter of disabling it) and see what effect the add-on scenery has. Only that way you know what the VAS load of the add-on is.

During the testing phase surely this is already done. And Aerosoft already had benchmarks for the amount of VAS involved.

I.e. On an equivalent rig, how does this EDDF (or EDDT) release compare with the previous version?

Developers should be working to a VAS budget and not produce scenery which obliges customers to remove or disable other vendors addons. This'll otherwise have a very destructive effect on the FS addon business. Which would be bad news for us all.

For example;I hope the A330 is being designed with this in mind and will not use more VAS than the current Airbus range.

Kind Rgds,

Chris.

P.S. An excellent topic for raising at Flightsimcon

Hello everybody,

after a change in my terrain section, i can fly every Longhaul Flight with the PMDG 777 without OOM.

Today I fly from Flytampa Toronto to Aerosoft Frankfurt without OOM. AI-Traffic is 16 percent.

Yesterday I was fly from Flightbeam Washington to Aerosoft EDDF without OOM.

Try the following change in the prepar3d.cfg,  section terrain.

MESH_RESOLUTION=21
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=2
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=2

Best regards

Andrea 

Hello Andrea,

I flew from St. Petersburg (ULLI) to Frankfurt (EDDF) yesterday with the PMDG 777F and had over 250 MB of VAS remaining when I landed.

None of the EDDF v2 textures are HD, they are all at 1024 or less, which means that anybody flying into EDDF v2 should be using:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

My guess is that a lot of VAS issues from users not using UTX Europe 2 would be from using a 2048 settings for the above.

My P3Dv3 settings:

MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=28
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=4
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=3

AIRLINEDENSITY=70

GADENSITY=25

FREEWAYDENSITY=25

As I mentioned already, UTX Europe 2 causes some serious issues around Frankfurt, the rail and road network shown by UTX Europe 2 around EDDF is also totally wrong. I was under the impression that UTX Europe 2 was pretty accurate, now that I've had all these issues with it around Frankfurt I won't be using it again any time soon.

Skål!

Lars

vor 8 Stunden , LarsL sagte:

None of the EDDF v2 textures are HD, they are all at 1024 or less, which means that anybody flying into EDDF v2 should be using:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

It should also be noted that any addon (scenery or aircraft) with 4K HD textures, will be loaded into the VAS. Thus, even if TML in the sim is set at 1024, the full 4K texture file is loaded into memory, but only displayed at the set lower resolution. The sim eats the file as presented. Best is to use addons only with 1024 or 2048 textures. 

If one wants to compare VAS usage, he must use different textures with different resolutions.

I had high hopes for the new EDDF, really. After I bought it, I quickly set up a flight in the A2A Cessna 182 and departed Verona. Approaching EDDF, came the high VAS warning sound, and when I landed, most buildings were black. Taxiing into the GA stand, I got an OOM error and my session was done.

My sliders are moved towards the right side but far from maximum - I have no issues whatsoever at any of my other complex airport scenery add-ons. I keep all non-used scenery disabled in the library too.

Following the above mentioned test flight I attempted three more arrivals into Frankfurt, all of them ended up in OOM. 

This scenery is unusable for me.

Archived