FTX: Global Released!

iFlySimX

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say, my first impression is I'm very impressed. A massive improvement over the default textures. I'm going to enjoy flying around the whole world again as everywhere will look completely different!! :)

• Deputy Sheriffs

A doubt, if we have Global, we will see the same thing what we see per example in FTX UK?

No.

'FTX Global' mainly replaces the default FSX/P3D textures (and improves autogen), while 'FTX Regions' are a complete make-over of the regions, including airport enhancements.

FTX Regions look more detailed/realistic.

But I think FTX Global is a vast improvement over the default FSX/P3D scenery.

No.

'FTX Global' mainly replaces the default FSX/P3D textures (and improve autogen), while 'FTX Regions' are a complete make-over of the regions, including airport enhancements.

FTX Regions look detailed/realistic.

But I think FTX Global is a vast improvement over the default FSX/P3D scenery.

Thanks Eric.

So they will release the openlcs, that openlcs with ftxg will be better than regions?

What is better?

Ftxg plus regions

Or

Ftxg plus openlcs

What's core libraries?

I have to install this (www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/62064-orbxlibs-130723-orbxlibs-core-130723/#entry566437) if I only have ftxg?

Thanks.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Chirag,

For support on FTX products I suggest that you use their forum.

In this 'Chatter' forum here, I just share my own opinions (as a normal user of FTX products) with you.

For what I know about it in simple terms:

- OpenLC will improve the placement of the FTXG texture tiles, so FTXG will look better with OpenLC than without (the tiles will fit better together).

- FTX Regions are 'handmade' and look the best. If you use FTX Region products you do not need FTXG for that same region.

- If you only fly inside the FTX Regions that you purchased, you do not need FTXG at all.

- If you fly from one FTX Region to another (f.e. from the FTX NA to FTX EU) you can benefit from the new 'Hybrid mode' that is included with FTXG. This means you do not need to switch from one Region to the other while in flight (which is impossible).

[Edit] for a better understanding of the Orbx FTX products please have a look at this clear explanation:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61929-ftx-global-what-is-it-all-about/

So FTX Global is fully compatible with UTX right?

Very much compatible, however:

- choose the night lighting you prefer (FTX seems to be less resource hungry) <- it's either/or

- UTX has some custom textures that will be replaced (not to be misssed though, I'd guess)

Very much compatible, however:

- choose the night lighting you prefer (FTX seems to be less resource hungry) <- it's either/or

- UTX has some custom textures that will be replaced (not to be misssed though, I'd guess)

Sure, although I think the night textures from UTX are a bit better

• 2 weeks later...

What about uninstalling it? Is this possible? I dont see an uninstaller? Can I return to say, GEX? It appears that FTXG will totally change the core files originally created by Aces? If true, is this not a dangerous path to go down?

I'd hate to do a complete reinstall of FSX if I decide to revert back to original core files!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Guys, I'm quite happy with GEX, which wasn't very cheap either when I bought it recently (switching from FS9 to FSX).

Honestly, please (a question to those with GEX): is it worth spending the extra 70 euro (wow!) on these ground textures?

Yes it is since you get the whole world and not just a part

I got a question for you nerds in here :-)

Will this http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/dx10-scenery-fixer/ go in conflict with the textures in FTXG?

Clearly the discussions about the nature of FTX Global have passed you by.

FTX Global is a texture replacement set. NOT scenery like their other products.

From that information alone you can answer your own question.

Yes, because this is part of a package of changes that fundamentally change how FSX (and P3D) is visualised.

No because currently it is only a texture set - just like GEX

Yes because it's textures improve on GEX textures

No because there are some difficulties with the current iteration precisely because it's not a completed package

Yes because even in its incomplete and non-optimised form if you have replacement landclass files you will see a massive improvement in FSX

For crying out loud, the only honest opinion is whether you can be `bothered`, or `afford` . It's a want not a need.

GEX, if you have the global texture sets, cost you a heck of a lot more than 70 Euros...

For anyone without GEX it's a no-brainer.

Personally, I've chucked GEX.

NOT an opinion, but a statement. You make your own choices.

Yes

A bit too late, Jeroen, but thanks anyway.

I decided to go for FTXG and have now been using it for some time.

I had GEX only for Europe. If I had all packs, I may have made another decision.

All in all I like FTXG very much. Since I fly mostly in Europe, I can say FTXG looks far and away better than GEX.

In spring and summer Europe is very green, especially wehre I usually fly (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, etc).

GEX did not do it a justice. I never liked its colour palette. Now the landscape looks much more like it should.

Yes, because this is part of a package of changes that fundamentally change how FSX (and P3D) is visualised.

No because currently it is only a texture set - just like GEX

Yes because it's textures improve on GEX textures

No because there are some difficulties with the current iteration precisely because it's not a completed package

Yes because even in its incomplete and non-optimised form if you have replacement landclass files you will see a massive improvement in FSX

For crying out loud, the only honest opinion is whether you can be `bothered`, or `afford` . It's a want not a need.

GEX, if you have the global texture sets, cost you a heck of a lot more than 70 Euros...

For anyone without GEX it's a no-brainer.

Personally, I've chucked GEX.

NOT an opinion, but a statement. You make your own choices.

So Global impresses you Simon?

I'm very impressed with what I have seen of it so far, mostly North Africa and the Northern USA/ southern Canada. The North of France looked very nice too, though I was flying the wrong time of day to full appreciate much more than the night lighting, which is pretty damn good in itself.

Impressed? Yes

Satisfied? No

...but I made an educated, informed purchase decision knowing full well that what i was buying `today` is a work in progress - albeit at a level of progress that many might settle for as a finished product. My standards are set higher, precisely because I know what is promised for delivery later. And I know not because I'm a prescient genius, but because I went and looked it up for myself...

My comment to certain parties is: So far, FTXG is but a glimpse of what is yet to come - But the roadmap for this product is well explained and freely visible for all to see. Buy-in now, and get a sample. But don't buy now and then complain about it, it just means you didn't do the learning. And there is never any excuse, never any sympathy for that. :mallet_s:

So yes, what has surprised me are the histrionics and pathetic whining coming from those whose ignorant complaining reveals only that they didn't do the research, didn't properly assess what they were buying - and therefore have an opinion that nobody wants to hear, yet they give it to us anyway, repeatedly: `Hey, we KNOW you're idiots, whiney people. So shut up, and stop proving it...` :byesad_s:

To those who biiiiiiitch endlessly about the lack of an uninstaller - why did you install it if you cannot handle manual de-installation? Keep back-ups of your changed files (it's easy to do, it's only a handful of folders and files - and shouldn't you be doing that anyway to protect your system?). That doesn't make it `malware`, as some twonk posted earlier, it makes you stooopid with a capital, er, whatever cuz you is one dumsunbeech, innit. :dumb_me_s:

Although it shares a similar naming protocol for marketing purposes these are just ground textures, it cannot screw with your scenery, skies or aircraft paints, so where on earth has that line of stupid questioning come from? A three year old?

If you don't know how to layer scenery file entries to ensure that you maintain priority for your own addons, yes those you previously installed, you have no right to purchase this (or any other) FSX addon. But all is not lost: I've got a cardboard box you can go play in and some lovely crayons... :mecry_s:

I am pleased to see that in this forum we have avoided most of that melodramatic claptrap, proving once again that reduced tolerance for the halfwitted is how you make a forum pleasant for all, but FTXG will not reveal its secrets until it's merged with it's own custom landclass, has been snagged and service-packed to deal with issues that are known (perhaps too much green in arid areas), and is part of the full provision.

But when you understand that the reason for the excessive green is because what FTX are actually going to do is replace the whole of the Landclass for the FSX world with their own to take advantage of the one area of FSX that has never been successfully handled except in their own FTX Regions (matched-landclass-to-textures-and-mesh) and you understand that we have to wait until the `wholistic` nature of this product is revealed, this is the start of something that will be a sea change in FSX visuals.

After that, it's a simple financial transaction choice as to whether you want be part of it now, or wait. :big_boss_s:

the night lighting, which is pretty damn good in itself.

And as you probably know yourself, they are working on a patch that will give us brighter and denser night lighting as well as traffic brake lighting and improved fps (not that i get bad perf on my system).

I must say that im really enjoying my FTXG experience, cant wait til they start rolling out the LC for it :ididit_s:

Archived