FTX: Global Released!

iFlySimX

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now on my first flight with it, but from what I've seen it's really superb! Even the frames are really great!

• Deputy Sheriffs

How about compatibility?

I myself using currently VFR Germany, all German Airports/Airfields, various Mega Airports, airports from UK2000, FTX NA and AU, UTX, FSG2008 and FSG UX

Guys, I'm quite happy with GEX, which wasn't very cheap either when I bought it recently (switching from FS9 to FSX).

Honestly, please (a question to those with GEX): is it worth spending the extra 70 euro (wow!) on these ground textures?

FTX Global simply changes the fsx ground textures and is compatible to all addons. It's like GEX.

So your addons should be compatible.

Do you have to uninstall GEX before installing FTXG?

Do you have to uninstall GEX before installing FTXG?

<I just installed it on top, though it is not recommended in the manual. Works though.

Guys, I'm quite happy with GEX, which wasn't very cheap either when I bought it recently (switching from FS9 to FSX).

Honestly, please (a question to those with GEX): is it worth spending the extra 70 euro (wow!) on these ground textures?

While GEX is pretty good in northern europe is does a bad job in southern europe (pretty much all south of Austria IMO). Though only being on my second flight with FTXG I have to say I'm impressed how realistic the region around Venice looked when approaching. I approached there last year in real life and it looked MUCH different than in GEX, but FTXG actually comes very close to real life.

All in all it is to early in my opinion to give a real opinion on it.

I just suggest that you wait a few days and see how feedback is. I will also be able to give you a better feedback when I own it for a longer time.

Remember it provides a good FTX Hybrid mode so now need to switch between FTX regional settings and the rest of the world. There were some here that were pretty outspoken about not liking that.

• Deputy Sheriffs

To make it clear: The Hybridmode should be used in the following way:

- When flying between FTX Global and a FTX region, e.g. from Germany to UK (with FTX UK installed), set Hybrid mode active.

- When flying only in FTX Global, e.g. from France to Italy, set Hybrid mode off

- When flying only within a FTX region, e.g. NA or AU, choose the appropriate region

To make it clear: The Hybridmode should be used in the following way:

- When flying between FTX Global and a FTX region, e.g. from Germany to UK (with FTX UK installed), set Hybrid mode active.

- When flying only in FTX Global, e.g. from France to Italy, set Hybrid mode off

- When flying only within a FTX region, e.g. NA or AU, choose the appropriate region

So you have FTX Global installed now?

Mustn't be. It is said in the manual which is available for free ;)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Mustn't be. It is said in the manual which is available for free ;)

Which I have linked in post #8.

And meanwhile I have installed it also and will do my first flight later.

If you think it's good by default, just try it with some decent landclass - I used Scenerytech Europe and it's as big a step from GEX as GEX was from default.

Heaven only knows what it will be like with optimised landclass from ORBX.

Buy it. Now.

And then prepare to spend more.

Snave, you still use SceneryTech with FTX Global? I think I made a mistake uninstalling that last week in preparation for FTXG. Maybe I should re-install it?

I've been running FSX with SceneryTech for the whole world, with FSGenesis for the mesh. I kept the mesh because I knew FTXG didn't have the mesh with it, but I thought the Landclass would cause problems. It appears that was an error on my part, yes?

I made the switch as I was curious and ORBX product was really looking quite good. I've made some quick comparison screenshots in 4 airports (3 with Aerosoft addons (LFPG, LFMN, EGLL and one with stock FSX EBBR). I chose to make it with Europe sceneries because I had GEX before. So screenshots are comparison between GEX and FTX (GEX removed from FSX through the GEX Setup tool))

I'd say it looks better to me with GEX looks much greener, and it's just so much better for the most striking example on LFMN by day, the cut between GEX and Aerosoft's airport is clearly visible, while things blend much more with FTX. I'm just starting to look at it. But if GEX was not bad I think FTX is above.

Screenshots are done with the mentioned airports, Obstacle France (a scenery for france which places ;lots of POI, high tension line pylons, church ...), UTX europe and REX Essential, though I've not made any specific weather for the shots.

If you wish to have a look I set a small but functional page, unedited, at the same resolution in Fullscreen. I did not reduce screenshots size to keep them the same (taken with fraps), and so they are quite big between 1 and 2 meg each, so might take some time to load the page and then on changing between one and the other.

http://www.atlanteans.net/GEXvsFTX/

wedge,

Thanks a lot. You've made a great comparison.

However, the mouse on/off trick doesn't seem to be working for me (Firefox 22.0).

I'm just getting one set of static screenshots (FTX, I guess?).

wedge,

Thanks a lot. You've made a great comparison.

However, the mouse on/off trick doesn't seem to be working for me (Firefox 22.0).

I'm just getting one set of static screenshots (FTX, I guess?).

Strange it is working for me I tested FF22, Chrome 28 and IE 10. But be sure to leave the mouse on the picture as as long as it is not loaded it will not change. Once the second is loaded it will then change very quickly but first change can take sometime depending on your connection. So make sure to leave the mouse cursor on the picture until it's loaded. I'll try to have a look at how to make thigns better by preloadeding or having the information displayed, but it's really been quick made. So very very basic code.

Base images are GEX, mouse over images are FTX (did not wanted to alter the image by adding labels :P)

sure to leave the mouse on the picture as as long as it is not loaded it will not change

That was it! I waited a bit longer and voilla, it has changed.

Thank you very much once again. :)

EDIT:

My first visual impression, judging from the comparison screenshots is that indeed FTX is much greener while GEX looks too desert-like.

I can see the GEX dryness/desertification much better now (especially around Heathrow) even though I've been using this addon for some time.

I feel the same much greener which I think is closer to reality.

I've updated the page a little so now people should see a preloading text while images are loaded, and then the all page will appear so there should not be any wait when mousing over.

Archived