Questions about FSFlyingSchool?

Ok, leaving Iceland didn't solve that ******* problem.

Also, in the Ariane 737 I turned EVERY heading and course selector to the runway heading (heading selector, pilot course selector and copilot course selector) and that also didn't do the trick obviously.

And it also deducted points for not aligning well, while I was perfectly aligned 15nm out, and didn't leave the centerline after that (thanks to the 737's great nav system)

And now I have something else to report:

I got a 33% decrease in points for autopilot, but I WAS above 5000ft AND in cruise mode.

This 5000ft limit, is that AGL or MSL???

Because I was crossing a mountain while in descend (altitude MSL about 7500ft, AGL 2500ft at the peak of the mountain) when I received the penalty.

I'm really, really not liking FSFS at the moment guys... It has awesome possibilities, but at the moment it's like a 500hp sport car which can't get past second gear...

It has the potential, but it just can't deliver...

At least, that's what it feels like to me...

It´s 5000 AGL Lars. I have written that clearly many places, and the manual will tell you that too, so that´s why. That´s not FSFS´ fault, if all should be fair.

I understand that you are frustrated, and perhaps its your location - it seems that others have problems in high north also, and I have reported that to the devs. Consider this good feedback - and that is always a good thing. And if all seems to have the same problem up there, then at least its the same for all - point wise.

But please don´t let every single thing you experience, and don´t like, be let out as "FSFS sucks" because it dosen´t, and the 5000 feet is an example where simple reading could prevent an outlet aginst the program. So please be ####ed at what´s to be ####ed about, but be fair. Please!

It´s 5000 AGL Lars. I have written that clearly many places, and the manual will tell you that too, so that´s why. That´s not FSFS´ fault, if all should be fair.

I understand that you are frustrated, and perhaps its your location - it seems that others have problems in high north also, and I have reported that to the devs. Consider this good feedback - and that is always a good thing. And if all seems to have the same problem up there, then at least its the same for all - point wise.

But please don´t let every single thing you experience, and don´t like, be let out as "FSFS sucks" because it dosen´t, and the 5000 feet is an example where simple reading could prevent an outlet aginst the program. So please be ####ed at what´s to be ####ed about, but be fair. Please!

Indeed it states AGL... which means a lot of handflying through mountains for heavy aircraft, but I can live with that, good practice.

Hell yeah, I'm frustrated,

but I didn't say FSFS sucks. I just said it doesn't deliver it's awesome potential under the current circumstances.

I AM SORRY if I came over too negative though. Having a hard time at home as well, and having to deal with issues in my favorite hobby as well doesn't help my mood. :blush:

sorry guys.

No flight score again, although I did get a landing score.....???? The flight went through all teh correct stages. I got the Touchdown call when my wheels hit the ground, got my landing score... then nothing. A few comments on my taxying in, so FSFS hadn't died completely. Although I got a landing score on the FSFS window, no record was made in either of the logbooks, as happened before. My criteria for the end of the flight are brakes on, stopped, engines off - that was all done.

No flight score again, although I did get a landing score.....???? The flight went through all teh correct stages. I got the Touchdown call when my wheels hit the ground, got my landing score... then nothing. A few comments on my taxying in, so FSFS hadn't died completely. Although I got a landing score on the FSFS window, no record was made in either of the logbooks, as happened before. My criteria for the end of the flight are brakes on, stopped, engines off - that was all done.

The only times I have had that happening to me, is when I either by accident, or forgetfulness, advance to the next flight mode - BEFORE meeting the criteria of "flight ends at" I always use the middle one - "stopped and parking brakes ON" because then I need not turn off the engine to have the flight ending.

Smith will always give you an oral evaluation of your landing - when you are on the ground - but you won´t get a written "verdict" of flight- and landing, UNTIL you meet the criteria you set to have the flight actually end. IF you go to next flight mode after landing (and that would be taxiing - and then Smith will talk about taxiing, as he did to you) then you are in a new flightsituation, but never ended the old one - and Voilá, you wont get a flight score - and no log book entries.

I cannot say that this is what happened to you - Ian, but it sounds like it, Have you mapped the ctrl-shift-z (or ctrl-shift-1) key to your flight controls, so you could have accidentally pushed it?

Hi Ole, yes, I have mapped the key combinations to a button on my quadrant. I'm pretty sure I didn't press it. However, it is next to the flaps button, so it is possible I brushed it when retracting the flaps. I really can't say either way.

Does this suggest a feature to be added - a query to the user to say do you really want to start a new flight when you haven't finished this one?

Hi Ole, yes, I have mapped the key combinations to a button on my quadrant. I'm pretty sure I didn't press it. However, it is next to the flaps button, so it is possible I brushed it when retracting the flaps. I really can't say either way.

Does this suggest a feature to be added - a query to the user to say do you really want to start a new flight when you haven't finished this one?

A good idea. Would save some irritation, that´s for sure. I´ll add it to the list. Keep´em coming, smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've just noticed that FS Flyingschool didn't use my flight plan data for my last flight BIVM-BIGR) (and doesn't seem to have noticed that I landed on a runway. Although I added the amended make runways files into FSX and FSFS, I forgot to rebuild the runway database after. Do I have to (or can I) fly this leg again or am I correct in remembering that an average landing score to be used in these circumstances.

I've just noticed that FS Flyingschool didn't use my flight plan data for my last flight BIVM-BIGR) (and doesn't seem to have noticed that I landed on a runway. Although I added the amended make runways files into FSX and FSFS, I forgot to rebuild the runway database after. Do I have to (or can I) fly this leg again or am I correct in remembering that an average landing score to be used in these circumstances.

We will just add the necessary points onto your score :)

A comment or two; I've been penalised a couple of times when extending flaps just a few moments too soon. I may be a few knots above the limit speed - Miss Aviatrix gives me the warning, I realise what's up and retract them again. They're down for a couple of seconds, but I still get docked marks (I presume). That seems a little too severe, perhaps a few seconds leeway? I've also been penalised for aileron or elevator control when taxying - crosswinds and danger of flipping. I cannot imagine a 12 knot wind is going to flip a Lear jet, no matter what the aileron or elevator setting. Maybe that part of the measurements should be moderated by the aircraft type/weight?

A comment or two; I've been penalised a couple of times when extending flaps just a few moments too soon. I may be a few knots above the limit speed - Miss Aviatrix gives me the warning, I realise what's up and retract them again. They're down for a couple of seconds, but I still get docked marks (I presume). That seems a little too severe, perhaps a few seconds leeway? I've also been penalised for aileron or elevator control when taxying - crosswinds and danger of flipping. I cannot imagine a 12 knot wind is going to flip a Lear jet, no matter what the aileron or elevator setting. Maybe that part of the measurements should be moderated by the aircraft type/weight?

The flaps warning is based on the flap speeds given by the airplane files. Wind is not a factor on that one, but flaps can be damaged if extended on too high a speed, and thats what FSFlyingSchool is basing their verdict on.excl.gif

The wind, and flipping a lear.... that could actually be a good idea to have that weight based.... Ill take that to the dev team.wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

only a quick question. Does an addon scenery need to be filed within the main FSX folder to be recognized when generating the runway data base. Or can I include scenery saved on different drives/locations?

Thanks!

Hi,

only a quick question. Does an addon scenery need to be filed within the main FSX folder to be recognized when generating the runway data base. Or can I include scenery saved on different drives/locations?

Thanks!

Good question. I would say that I am 98% sure that it makes no difference, as it has to be included in the FSX databases to work, and I am pretty sure that FSFS locates it here. Ill investigate to be 100% sure, but until proven wrong, I say you can use scenery on every location.

okay, question here:

can FSFS handle a missed approach??

If yes, any point reduction and or special items that need attention?

The reason I ask is that in my flight today, from KBUF to 06C in a C-130, I experienced a lot of turbulence on final, including a 500ft/min climb (!!) with the nose pointed down...

In any other case, I would have done a missed approach and go-around, but I didn't know how FSFS would respond, and so pressed on with the landing, with some (but less than I feared) remarks and points deducted.

okay, question here:

The reason I ask is that in my flight today, from KBUF to 06C in a C-130, I experienced a lot of turbulence on final, including a 500ft/min climb (!!) with the nose pointed down...

In any other case, I would have done a missed approach and go-around, but I didn't know how FSFS would respond, and so pressed on with the landing, with some (but less than I feared) remarks and points deducted.

I've had to do a missed approach, and FSFS didnt like it.

Constantly going on about not being lined up with the runway even after flying over the destination...As for piont reduction, im not sure. :unsure:

okay, question here:

Hi,

I had the same climb on final into 06C. I think it is one of the fixed FSX thermals. Did spice up the approach quite a bit. :D

okay, question here:

FSFS can handle a missed approach in the sense that what you can do, is to back-step your flightmode from Landing to Cruise, then make your go-around and line up again, then advance to landing mode.

The program is NOT (yet) set up for actual missed approaches, and you need to be quick in retracting gears and flaps when you go back to cruise, as this might cause point-reduction to have engaged in cruise mode. but no reduction for the actual missed Approach.

Not perfect, but doable.

Not a question about FSFS but an observation. I was getting nagged at about getting down to the glideslope. I was on the downwind leg of my approach, parallel to the runway but opposite in heading, of course, setting myself up for the final turn. There's no ILS at 06C, and no PAPI either. What glideslope am I supposed to be heading for? I'm flying a fairly standard pattern, still descending. I don't know if I was docked points for that - if so, I think that's a bit unfair.

Just an observation, probably something to do with the FTX scenery: Although I updated the runway database after switching to the FTX mode, FSFS only recongnized only 2 parallel runways at KSEA (not 3). For 34L it showed the ILS frequency of 34C. When I landed on the actual 34L I got an off runway deduction.

• 1 month later...

Another observation. I was being told to "line up with the centre line" - OK, if I was on approach I would. At the point I got that message, however, I was on the wrong side of the airport. I was approaching KSEA from the South, to loop round for a landing on 16C. No way was I going to line up with the centre line at that point, I was busy flying the 16C Husky standard visual approach. It kept getting repeated too. Maybe a little discrimination needed there?

Ian

For the instructor to "nag" you about lining up, you need to be in landing mode - and if you want to go around to get lined up, then do not advance to landing mode. Stay in cruise mode until you are lined up and ready for final. Then and only then, go into landing mode. Case solved. :eyepop_s:

Ian

For the instructor to "nag" you about lining up, you need to be in landing mode - and if you want to go around to get lined up, then do not advance to landing mode. Stay in cruise mode until you are lined up and ready for final. Then and only then, go into landing mode. Case solved. :eyepop_s:

Doh! Obvious isn't it!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

after the last flight FSFS did not save my score.

This is what the FSFS log looked like (it showed only a landing score, but no flight score). I had not disconnected FSFS or received any error message.

post-7912-0-91888200-1318175774_thumb.jp

When I clicked on the full log, it did not show the flight at all.

Did anyone have this problem previously? I guess there is nothing to do, but re-fly the leg?

Thanks!

Manuel

It CAN happen if you don´t meet the criteria for ending the flight - like if you have end flight set to "stopped and brake set" and you havent set the parking brake - THEN you will have exactly what you have in the pic.

Anyway - nothing to do about it - but refly. Sorry!