Questions about FSFlyingSchool?

have a question regarding FSFS:

if you use the autopilot above 5000ft AGL (above Ground) them you will lose point - ok - i understand.

but i disconnected the AP in FL70. EDDF is on only some hundreds ft MSL, so i should be more then 5000ft above ground.

why does FSFS say in my landing score "autopilot used" ??

do i have to disconnect the AP on Top of Descent?

here the first lines of the scoring of my test-flight:

==================================================================================

Andreas_W piloting Bombardier CRJ 700 ANDRAS MERIDIAN ended Samstag, 9. April 2011 at 22:08

Aircraft: BOMBARDIER ID: D-EADL Airline: Flight:

Flight plan: EAFS TO EDDF : NAV1: IFNE

Failure(s): None at landing

Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None

Failure Bonus:0% Flight Duration:00 Hours 46 Mins 21 Secs

Landing Score:16,43

Autopilot used.

Hi Ole,

have the same issues too. Probably some others have the same problem. is it possible to post these files here in the forum, so everybody of us can download them?

thx

I will post the files soon as I get home. Im out at friends right now..

have a question regarding FSFS:

if you use the autopilot above 5000ft AGL (above Ground) them you will lose point - ok - i understand.

but i disconnected the AP in FL70. EDDF is on only some hundreds ft MSL, so i should be more then 5000ft above ground.

why does FSFS say in my landing score "autopilot used" ??

do i have to disconnect the AP on Top of Descent?

here the first lines of the scoring of my test-flight:

==================================================================================

Andreas_W piloting Bombardier CRJ 700 ANDRAS MERIDIAN ended Samstag, 9. April 2011 at 22:08

Aircraft: BOMBARDIER ID: D-EADL Airline: Flight:

Flight plan: EAFS TO EDDF : NAV1: IFNE

Failure(s): None at landing

Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None

Failure Bonus:0% Flight Duration:00 Hours 46 Mins 21 Secs

Landing Score:16,43

Autopilot used.

It is because you have used Autopilot in a flightmode other than Cruisemode. If you enter landing mode and are still in AP - you get the punishment...wink.gif

with quite some reading and searching on the FSFS forums, I found a solution for my problems:

I'm using an English version of W7, but I had my date and time format set to Dutch (Belgium)...

I set it English (United States) and everything works now!

Now the only thing stopping me from starting the RTWC is my joystick... it's vacation here, but my good joystick (X52 Pro) is still in Ostend, and I don't go there for another 2 weeks.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I use at home is now really broken, so unusable for decent flying...

Buying a new one is no problem. Finding the money to do so is...

with quite some reading and searching on the FSFS forums, I found a solution for my problems:

I'm using an English version of W7, but I had my date and time format set to Dutch (Belgium)...

I set it English (United States) and everything works now!

Now the only thing stopping me from starting the RTWC is my joystick... it's vacation here, but my good joystick (X52 Pro) is still in Ostend, and I don't go there for another 2 weeks.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I use at home is now really broken, so unusable for decent flying...

Buying a new one is no problem. Finding the money to do so is...

Thank you Lars.... I forgot to say that. Darn. Great that you investigated and found a solution....

I have a complete Saitek Yoke/pedal set, that you can buy if you need controls..... LOL. I have my belowed X-52 set and I tend to always swerve back into that set, over the yoke set...

Thank you Lars.... I forgot to say that. Darn. Great that you investigated and found a solution....

I have a complete Saitek Yoke/pedal set, that you can buy if you need controls..... LOL. I have my belowed X-52 set and I tend to always swerve back into that set, over the yoke set...

Haha, thanks Ole!

I would love a Saitek Yoke/pedal set... problem is I can't afford them... probably going for an Extreme 3D Pro again, as a backup for my saitek X52 Pro. I can get those here for €40 so...

I just finished my first RTWC flight.

I'm quite pleased with the result, although there is room for improvement.

One thing that bothered me though:

the instructor kept saying:

"We have a problem" (as in, during the entire flight, every 2 minutes, for 1.5 hours...)

I had no idea why, nothing was wrong with the aircraft, no failures of any kind...

Anybody any idea? I was using the CS C-130E.

and a second thing:

got a note about excessive speed at low altitude.

Any idea what the altitude and speed restraints are?

I never flew faster than 250kts, and never above 200kts once under 5000 ft...

The we have a problem is a bit annoying - thought it does prompt you to do regular inflight checks ;) Also remember you can always turn the sound off too, although the 633 Squadron rendition its nice. Maybe we could get that on repeat - or at least so the insructor whistles the entire song :lol: Though I suspect that might cause issues

Oh, what do we do if we accidentally close FSFS midflight or just after we've landed and before we've been given our flying score?

I'd guess you'll have to refly the leg in that case...

the "We have a problem" nagging instructor is driving me nuts in the C-130!!!

I guess it'll be a very silent instructor in my other C-130 flights... with a gag in his mouth, strapped to the cargo ramp... the UNDERSIDE of the cargo ramp, that is...

Oh, what do we do if we accidentally close FSFS midflight or just after we've landed and before we've been given our flying score?

You have to refly then.... as Lars said, but my advise is: Don´t close FSFS inflgiht. I don´t see how you would do that, accidental, but strange things happen I guess...ohmy.gif

the "We have a problem" nagging instructor is driving me nuts in the C-130!!!

I guess it'll be a very silent instructor in my other C-130 flights... with a gag in his mouth, strapped to the cargo ramp... the UNDERSIDE of the cargo ramp, that is...

Lars. I don´t understand that problem at all. IF you go the pilots tab in FSFS, in the lower right corner, there is a "Failures" section. Is the main failure square dottet? Are failures ON or OFF? If it is On, then remove the little v, and it should go away.

Lars. I don´t understand that problem at all. IF you go the pilots tab in FSFS, in the lower right corner, there is a "Failures" section. Is the main failure square dottet? Are failures ON or OFF? If it is On, then remove the little v, and it should go away.

I'll try that, but the weird thing is, the after flight report doesn't show any failures or problems... (apart from reports on the flight of course)

I'll try that, but the weird thing is, the after flight report doesn't show any failures or problems... (apart from reports on the flight of course)

No - its probably a problem with the estimation of the aircraft. Smith seems to think that something is wrong - an "unknown" failure. But if you have them turned completely off, then he should shut up about it.

Not really a problem, just a comment. The first time I flew Leg 1, I was regularly getting the reminder to regularly scan my instruments. The second time, not once, The main difference was that, the first time, the rest of the family were around, so I was freezing TrackIR while interacting with them. The second time, the family were out, so I was working the flight, looking around with TrackIR all the time. Does FSFS monitor your use of views? Or was it just a coincidence?

Not really a problem, just a comment. The first time I flew Leg 1, I was regularly getting the reminder to regularly scan my instruments. The second time, not once, The main difference was that, the first time, the rest of the family were around, so I was freezing TrackIR while interacting with them. The second time, the family were out, so I was working the flight, looking around with TrackIR all the time. Does FSFS monitor your use of views? Or was it just a coincidence?

That´s a coincidence. The "regularly scan all your instruments" is a remark, brought on randomly, just to get you to do exactly that - scan all your instruments. smile.gif

An update...

Attached you will find a .zip file, containing three files. Please follow the below instructions to make sure it works fine.

Please put the files into the FSFlyingSchool2011 folder - let them overwrite what is there. Please delete (or rename) the 2 files with the same names in your FSX folder Make sure that the version of Makerunways (the Dowson program) in your FSFlyingSchool folder AND FSX folder is 4.41 dated 17 Nov 2009. If NOT,then used the attached MakeRwys.zip file. (Unzip and copy into FSFS folder AND FSX folder) Finally, launch FSFS2011 and at the settings page - tell it to create the runway data for FSX. Make sure that Makerunways says that it is version 4.41. Make sure that the FSFlyingschool runways program says that it is version 2.2. Once it is all finished, quit everything and then do your usual launch sequence to go flying with FSX and FSFS2011.

Now - if you do not have any problems with FSFS then you don´t have to update this. Its mostly for a small percentage of people who have some issues with "landed off runways" but choice is yours.

FSFS files.zip

MakeRwys.zip

Hey Ole,

can it be that the problem I have that causes the instructor to say I fly to fast at low altitude be caused by going to cruise mode too soon??

I usually put it into cruise mode as part of my after start check (not written down, but in my head) gear up, flaps up, reduce throtte, go to cruise mode...

This, obviously, is less than 1000ft AGL.

Can that be the cause of the problem? any idea?

Hey Ole,

can it be that the problem I have that causes the instructor to say I fly to fast at low altitude be caused by going to cruise mode too soon??

I usually put it into cruise mode as part of my after start check (not written down, but in my head) gear up, flaps up, reduce throtte, go to cruise mode...

This, obviously, is less than 1000ft AGL.

Can that be the cause of the problem? any idea?

Well it´s worth a try. I never go to cruise mode until I reach AT LEAST 2000 feet AGL. I do not know if it could cause Smith to say that you fly too fast at low altitudes... I cannot imagine why - but it´s sure worth a try. Please report back! wink.gif

Ok, took the Herc up to 3000ft before going to cruise... still flying, so the verdicts still out.

But guess what, I turned all failures OFF, but the 'We have a problem' is back!! :unsure:

Smith is really looking forward to seeing the underside of my aircraft in flight, it seems :angry:

Ok, took the Herc up to 3000ft before going to cruise... still flying, so the verdicts still out.

But guess what, I turned all failures OFF, but the 'We have a problem' is back!! :unsure:

Smith is really looking forward to seeing the underside of my aircraft in flight, it seems :angry:

It can be caused by having the throttles set unequally.For example if you had two engines and the throttles are set to 90% and 81% - or even four engines and set them at: 90%, 90%, 90%, 81% It's a warning of unequal thrust. But - note that the difference has to be pretty big - it is not triggered by a couple of percent.

Look at the throttle settings - perhaps a joystick calibration error?

It can be caused by having the throttles set unequally.For example if you had two engines and the throttles are set to 90% and 81% - or even four engines and set them at: 90%, 90%, 90%, 81% It's a warning of unequal thrust. But - note that the difference has to be pretty big - it is not triggered by a couple of percent. Look at the throttle settings - perhaps a joystick calibration error?

If it's not triggered by 1 or 2 %, than it's not the case. I use only 1 throttle lever.

BUT!!! I'm not sure about this, but AES also thinks I have an engine started when I just start the GTC (a kind of APU). So, it is possible FSFS thinks there's something wrong there, as it is turned off for flight.

just a possibility, and not sure.

Anyway, only 1 C130 flight left in this phase of the tour, so I'll just fly that with the instructor silenced

I just did the flight to EKVG with a 737, and ran into a whole lot of problems:

• the "Landed without a proper approach OR off runway surface" was there again, although I most certainly touched down with my wheels ON the runway
  • poor alignment on visual approach: I was using an ILS approach, but the ILS would've put me in the sea if I followed it, nowhere near the airport. I was following the ILS localizer in the clouds (less than 0.5nm visibility, only to notice I wasn't even near the runway when I came out of the clouds at 1000ft
  • poor glideslope: the ILS glideslope never came alive, even when the localizer was, and the VASI lights were nice red and white once I forgot about the ils. now tell me, what did I do wrong?
  • poor steering after touchdown: hell, you can you go off the centerline if the damn software thinks you're not even on the runway? and apart from that, I didn't deviate from the centerline, so...

it was a good flight, right up to the point where I should have intercepted the localizer.

the localizer wasn't where it was supposed to be (cross checked with the FSX Map, my navigation system was right, something in FSX was wrong, but FSFS reads the FSX signal)

I've had this problem with FSX before, but I've never found a trigger for it, and it only seems to happen on default airports

I'm getting mighty tired of all these problems. It's always something: FSFS doing something strange, FSX itself doing something strange, or the addon aircraft doing something strange...

In this case, it was a combination of the first 2

Why can't it just work, for heaven's sake...

sorry for the nagging, cursing and complaining here, but I flew for more than an hour and a half, had a very difficult approach, and then all that BS...

If it were me screwing up, I'd live with it, but that was not the case (not this time at least)