• Aerosoft
SOLD! Looking fantastic!

Is this the same team that did the H1 Mathijs? I ask as I remember being extremely impressed with the weathered texturing of the VC in the H1 and hope this one looks as good.

Yes, this is done by Stefan like the H1. He's a professional and it shows.

From viewpoint angle to lighting angle, cropping to background elements, those are four outstanding screenshots. The moody dark clouds seem perfectly to emphasize the dangerous regime in which this airplane stalked foe and rescued friend. They make me want to fly her. Thanks for posting them.

-Doug

Hi Mathijs

It has been a very long time since I last visited the Aerosoft forums, because I had actually given up all hope of ever seeing the Catalina project being completed. But this thread has certainly brought back some optimism :rolleyes:

I hope that you are still considering to use the material I sent you waaaaay back for the PBY-6A model with radar dome (Royal Danish Air Force)?? If you are interested, I might try my hand at a repaint of the PBY-6A.

Finally a small remark on the bump mapping seen on some of the later screenshots: I think it's a bit on the "heavy" side. I hope that the final version will have smaller rivets...

Best regards

Kim Dahl

• Aerosoft
Hi Mathijs

It has been a very long time since I last visited the Aerosoft forums, because I had actually given up all hope of ever seeing the Catalina project being completed. But this thread has certainly brought back some optimism :rolleyes:

I hope that you are still considering to use the material I sent you waaaaay back for the PBY-6A model with radar dome (Royal Danish Air Force)?? If you are interested, I might try my hand at a repaint of the PBY-6A.

Finally a small remark on the bump mapping seen on some of the later screenshots: I think it's a bit on the "heavy" side. I hope that the final version will have smaller rivets...

Best regards

Kim Dahl

Yes your images are actually our base for the PBY-6 so I think we'll certainly do that model. I agree with the bumps, but FSX is a bit tricky in that.

• Aerosoft
I'd love to help painting the Cat but my emails keep getting bounced back :( On another note, are the base textures 2048 or 1024?

1024, but there are a lot of textures for the external, so it is certainly not a issue. We found that 1024 maps load a lot faster and it gives us a bit more flexibility.

I'll add you to the beta.

Astonishing screenshots. You almost made my eyeballs get out of my head Nick :blink: ...where did you take the first one by the way ? Looks like some sort of island in the Caribbean or in SE-Asia...(New Guinea or something)...

Mathijs, would it be possible to get this part animated? Would be nice to see the inside of that and it would be nice to have the option to drop the anchor.

CatAnchor.jpg

I wish it was here already! :o

i guess it could be done via skinning vs adding it to the external model, but hole used for cleaning the bombadier window is not present on the starboard side of the aiming window.

i can't wait to build missions for this thing.

Hi Mathijs

That sounds great :D

I would love to test the PBY-6A model when it is ready, and perhaps try a little paint work on it too. Would that be possible?

Regards

Kim

Yes your images are actually our base for the PBY-6 so I think we'll certainly do that model. I agree with the bumps, but FSX is a bit tricky in that.

Hi Mathjis

Will there be a classic and a modern version cockpit in the catalina?

Will some of the early prototypes of the catalina also be made?

• Aerosoft
Mathijs, would it be possible to get this part animated? Would be nice to see the inside of that and it would be nice to have the option to drop the anchor.

I wish it was here already! :o

No, to do that well would need a huge amount of parts and animating it would be very hard. Besides, in FSX a floating aircraft would make the anchor chain move in extremely weird ways. Sorry.

• Aerosoft
Hi Mathjis

Will there be a classic and a modern version cockpit in the catalina?

Will some of the early prototypes of the catalina also be made?

We will do the PBY-5, PBY-5A and PBY-6. Both in civil and in military versions. So no PBY-2 etc. All the models we'll do still fly in some form.

There will be two cockpits, one 'old' and one 'modern'. But not real old (so not the very empty 1939 panel) and not real modern. The modern one will have good radios etc. In both cases the flight engineer controls and radio operator control will be in the main cockpit and not in separate compartments because that makes it nearly impossible for a single person to fly it. Besides, these things were all moved to the cockpit as soon as was possible.

No, to do that well would need a huge amount of parts and animating it would be very hard. Besides, in FSX a floating aircraft would make the anchor chain move in extremely weird ways. Sorry.

Ah yes, I should have thought of that. I guess that only means we need havoc physics for FS11. ;)

Thanks for the answer Mathijs!