0 named waypoint inserted after DIRECT TO

Has anyone else had this? Every time I select DIR to a waypoint in my flight plan, a random 0 named waypoint is inserted in a random position in front of me and then the LNAV just loses the plot. It will not go towards the DIR waypoint nor will it go to the other one, although that new 0 named one is selected and the line is drawn for it...

Hi, I have the same issue as you. It happens to me almost every time I select DIR to a waypoint. I only started noticing this error after the update. I have no idea why this is happening. I hope we will find a way to fix this because it is really unbearable.

To follow up on this, trying to set up a flight just now, manually entering waypoints without airways between them in the FPLN page (Direct instead of Airway) it does the same on the FMS. It puts a ghost point named 0 about 2500 nm away and it cannot be moved or deleted from either the legs page or the flight plan page (it is invisible in the FPLN page, only can see it in LEGS).

It shows the same behaviour, and can only shift it down by entering the rest of the route above it, and eventually it will crash all the avionics...

I've experienced this many times as well when trying to go direct to a waypoint. This issue and the incorrect VNAV guidance/altitudes on the DIRECT screen are the ones I'm most hoping to see fixed in the next update.

I see this very often as well. It does not necessarily become a (0) waypoint, it just creates a point with either no altitude assigned so it becomes (0) or it might take on an altitude waypoint from a SID like (1300).

Video: 

Please login to view this video.

Flightplan here was EETN PETOT1T DCT OLPED DCT LUPET L77 XILAN5T ESSA. The PETOT1T SID is basically at 1300' turn right to PETOT. So the FMS has an altitude only waypoint called (1300). And it seems this direct bug assumed that name.

Just had this bug aswell several times on Vatsim. Found out it happens when your next waypoints its far away. Just flying right now and ATC asked for the direct away from 150Nm. Usually this does not happend when i use DIR to a closer waypoints.

Moreover, when using those kinds of DIRs, aircraft is usually zigzaging quite a lot. Only fix is to use heading mode and fly to the next point while checking for wind correction. Not game breaking but annoying :)

Edit: You can delete the 0 waypoint via the LEGS page.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I've started flying on VATSIM more recently and this behavior has been particularly irritating. I just flew the following route: CYUL VIRKA ENE OOSHN5. I was assigned the CYUL departure from R24L which is basically fly runway heading until given vectors. Shortly after airborne I was given direct VIRKA but the CRJ inserted a (0) waypoint off to the right. It didn't seem like it was trying to fly to this phantom waypoint, but it was also not going directly to my waypoint, kind of swerving back and forth. I ended up having to use heading mode to get where I needed to go, but periodically tried to go direct VIRKA to see if the FMC would eventually get it correct. As I got closer you can see a very exaggerated phantom waypoint.

Please login to display this image.

Has unfortunately been broken since release, and dev has been aware of it since release as well. Coming up on 6 months without a direct to functioning properly soon... Just sayin'.

This is one of the reasons ( and LNAV in general) why the CRJ is still uninstalled on my PC. 

I came back here to see if people are still having this issue and it’s apparent that they still are. 

I don’t understand why after 6 months this issue hasn’t been fixed when we’ve got freeware devs that have enroute LNAV and Direct To functionality modelled perfectly. 

what gives ? 

I just did the same exact route and had the same behavior -- phantom waypoint when I clicked direct VIRKA. It wasn't just a bad line -- the plane was not flying straight to the waypoint. I used heading mode right until I reached VIRKA at which point I clicked direct ENE and instead of leaving the correct line which was already there, it removed it and put some other line way off to the right. This is super frustrating -- I really don't think I can trust this plane to fly online until the direct functionality is fixed. It hasn't come up too often for me, but when it does it's a major problem. I really hope this is fixed very soon as I don't want to have to go back to X-Plane to fly on VATSIM.

I was able to replicate and capture the above scenario pretty much exactly. Hopefully this is of some help fixing this problem as being able to go direct to a waypoint is essential functionality.

0:00 - Entering flight plan

3:15 - Direct VIRKA, creates phantom {0} waypoint

4:25 - Plane begins to turn away from VIRKA so I switch to heading mode

8:15 - Approaching VIRKA, I re-engage NAV mode and go direct ENE. {0} waypoint goes way off to the side, messing up the path to ENE, and the plane does not turn on course (actually slightly left)

9:40 - Have to switch back to heading mode to point towards ENE

After further testing it seems like using the LEGS page and moving the desired waypoint to the second line is a decent workaround to this bug. If the DIRECT page worked correctly, would this work the exact same way or is there a functional difference between the two approaches?

Same, just often via the LEGS page it takes one or a few more button pushes, especially if the point you want to go to is on another page. 

Should still work properly from the direct page though. Heck, if I remember correctly this bug was even in the CRJ Professional in P3D and never fixed there either. Seems like it is on the same course this time around. 

But isn't it more likely, in this example that the FMC is supposed to intercept the LEG and not the next waypoint in a DIRECT TO mode ??

I may be wrong here, but I have seen this an many other aircraft (XPlane)

Oliver

1 hour ago, JetNoise said:

But isn't it more likely, in this example that the FMC is supposed to intercept the LEG and not the next waypoint in a DIRECT TO mode ??

Putting a waypoint on top (DIR INTC/LEGS page) always means for the FMS: From present position and on the shortest way to that waypoint. However, you can specify an intercept course.

On 2.9.2021 at 05:10, Aplato sagte:

I was able to replicate and capture the above scenario pretty much exactly. Hopefully this is of some help fixing this problem as being able to go direct to a waypoint is essential functionality.

Could the behavior be related to the "(VECT)" virtual waypoint? But no idea what happens when you proceed direct to ENE.

• 1 month later...

It is October 22nd and I just had this happen to me.  I have to use heading mode the entire trip.  The zero waypoint is placed somewhere off to the left of the plane and up ahead.  But it does not disappear when you pass the next waypoint.  Any fix to this?

On 3.9.2021 at 15:09, KuntaKinte sagte:

Putting a waypoint on top (DIR INTC/LEGS page) always means for the FMS: From present position and on the shortest way to that waypoint. However, you can specify an intercept course.

I often notice that putting a waypoint there, puts the magenta to that waypoint and directly sequences to the next waypoint.

Very bad if you are on an approach....

This FMC and Autopilot definitely needs some more love from the Dev....

(See topic LNAV - obvious ....)

Oliver

17 hours ago, Jonas S. said:

Hi all,

I've forwarded this to the testing team and will get back to you once I receive a reply :)

Hi Jonas, while I appreciate the effort, you might want to have a quick browse through this topic and then through the forums... This has been an open issue since release and with topics made about it since March as well. And on one of Mr. Kok's lists since at least June. Your testing team and devs should be very, very aware of the issue already for over half a year.

You might understand that your post then seems a bit like an empty gesture. But let's see if perhaps you get a better reply...

On 23.10.2021 at 06:18, JetNoise sagte:

I often notice that putting a waypoint there, puts the magenta to that waypoint and directly sequences to the next waypoint.

Very bad if you are on an approach....

This is the expected behavior, isn't it? Or maybe I got your description wrong.

vor 4 Stunden , SinusJayCee sagte:

This is the expected behavior, isn't it? Or maybe I got your description wrong.

Simple Example:

Route:   xxx - yyy - zzz

youre inb xxx

you want a direct to  yyy     (yyy into LSK 1 )

FMC displays a yyy first but immediatly sequences to zzz as the active waypoint

I believe that is not correct

Oliver

Archived