Jump to content

FMS INTC CRS Not Working


Recommended Posts

  • Deputy Sheriffs

Could you please post screenshots as well of the MFD (ND) with the CDU also visible?

"NO INTERCEPTION" is normal if you are not on course that would intercept with the course that you entered. For example INTCPT course is 020 and you are flying on a course that never intercepts with the entered course of 020. But of course if you are on a course that should intercept with the entered course within reasonable distance this message should not happen. So screenshots would clarify the situation better for us to understand what is actually going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Deputy Sheriffs

I'll have a look into this on my next test flight. I would also still really appreciate if you could post some screenshots along with your descriptions as that will help me a lot of investigate this issue further and check what you guys are actually seeing and how it reflects to what should happen. So screenshots please. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Secondator said:

Could you please post screenshots as well of the MFD (ND) with the CDU also visible?

"NO INTERCEPTION" is normal if you are not on course that would intercept with the course that you entered. For example INTCPT course is 020 and you are flying on a course that never intercepts with the entered course of 020. But of course if you are on a course that should intercept with the entered course within reasonable distance this message should not happen. So screenshots would clarify the situation better for us to understand what is actually going on.

 

I've never seen the NO INTERCEPTION error in the FMS on the real aircraft, and I've used the INTC CRS function probably hundreds of times. As Propane said, it should draw the extended course regardless of whether you're flying towards it or not. I can try to get some pictures though if that helps.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is me trying to enter a INTC CRS and it not properly drawing. From what I understand entering an intercept course of 356 for RAYMA, which is the same course as the ILS, will draw an extended intercept line inbound to RAYMA.

20210317161625_1.jpg

20210317161621_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Secondator said:

Could you please post screenshots as well of the MFD (ND) with the CDU also visible?

"NO INTERCEPTION" is normal if you are not on course that would intercept with the course that you entered. For example INTCPT course is 020 and you are flying on a course that never intercepts with the entered course of 020. But of course if you are on a course that should intercept with the entered course within reasonable distance this message should not happen. So screenshots would clarify the situation better for us to understand what is actually going on.

We fly the real aircraft. Trust us when we say. The INTC CRS is not working as it should. I've done this quite literally thousands of times. You can trust us with this one. When we put in an INTC CRS to a fix it quite literally just draws a line on that heading inbound to that fix regardless of which direction the aircraft is pointing, I can even do it to a fix behind me if I wanted to.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Secondator said:

I have added this now on our bug tracker and we'll investigate this further. Thanks for the report.

I would be happy to provide guidance on this issue. I have some videos and such that can help. DIRECT TO and intercept CRS logic during the approach phase is VITAL to have correct. We use this every time we fly into a major airport and are vectored from the STAR onto the ILS approach path. I can DM whoever I need to to get them to understand the FMS sequencing logic. Thank you.

 

-Mike

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, Alexander Pressley said:

We fly the real aircraft. Trust us when we say. The INTC CRS is not working as it should. I've done this quite literally thousands of times. You can trust us with this one. When we put in an INTC CRS to a fix it quite literally just draws a line on that heading inbound to that fix regardless of which direction the aircraft is pointing, I can even do it to a fix behind me if I wanted to.

 

It's funny this came up. I was flying the plane today and thought I'd give this a try. I was disappointed to see that it didn't work. The INTC CRS is a huge part of flying the CRJ in the real world. Whether you're on an open STAR or just being vectored for the approach, the INTC CRS is used every day. It's a pretty big deal. We refer to this as "sequencing the approach" and it's literally taught on day one of learning to fly the CRJ. 

 

To clarify what exactly it does: Whenever you select direct to a waypoint (usually an approach waypoint but it can be absolutely any waypoint) the FMS will give you the option to tell it what course you would like to fly to intercept the track to that waypoint. Normally you don't notice this because if you select "EXEC" without putting a value in the INTC CRS section then it just assumes you want to go direct to the waypoint. However, when you DO put a value in the INTC CRS section then it draws a dashed line from that waypoint extending out from the waypoint in the inverse direction to the course you entered. This dashed line then becomes an intercept track that the FMS can fly to (in HDG mode) and when it reaches this line it will intercept the track (and NAV mode will become active) to the waypoint. This is why it's used so often during approaches because it allows us to fly a heading and intercept the final approach course (if we've programmed the INTC CRS to do so). 

 

As an example, I'm 100 miles away from CYYZ and I'm planning on runway 24R (magnetic heading 237). Now let's say that I select the FAF waypoint for that approach from the FMS and enter 237 in the INTC CRS section and then press EXEC. On the ND you will now see a dashed line tracking 057 from the FAF waypoint extending out forever. Once this line is drawn I can now arm NAV mode and fly whatever heading I like using HDG mode. Once the plane crosses that dashed line the plane will go into NAV mode and it will track 237 all the way to the FAF waypoint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Deputy Sheriffs
10 hours ago, mchaney1995 said:

I would be happy to provide guidance on this issue. I have some videos and such that can help. DIRECT TO and intercept CRS logic during the approach phase is VITAL to have correct. We use this every time we fly into a major airport and are vectored from the STAR onto the ILS approach path. I can DM whoever I need to to get them to understand the FMS sequencing logic. Thank you.

 

-Mike


You can DM it directly to me. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Secondator said:


You can DM it directly to me. Thanks.

 Your forum is not allowing me to DM you because my account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages. Is there another way to reach you? Thanks.

 

-Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same problem, LFMN 04L RNAV-A arr via NERAS.

Vectored after NERAS (370deg), I have to DIR-TO Bisbo intersect crs was 152 but no chance: NO INTERSECTION message but yes it was :)

When I click EXEC anyway it do a simple DIR-TO BISBO.

 

 

Capture5.PNG

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, renatodmc said:

BTW, this function is simulated in the CJ4 Working Title, for reference. 

 

I don't think so.

As the Collins FMS-3000 (I think is the one simulated on WT CJ4) does not implement this function... I don't think this is available on the WT CJ4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, renatodmc said:

It does. Try it. Actually, I’m pretty sure it must be a requirement for RNP APCH capable FMSs/GNSSs. All aircraft I’ve flown IRL have an intercept course function by the way. 

 

As a lot common airliners does not have it (eg 737), I also do not think so.
You can simply use a dir-to on a good timing or do it in heading mode (and draw the in-crs dashed line with the fix info page if you need it). it's not a big deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...