Preview : Aerosoft Dillingham

• Aerosoft

--> jump directly to last shots: http://forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=71391#71391

Best if we start by telling you who is the main developer for this scenery, Bill Womack, a name that most simmers who love the smaller aviation will know. When he showed us his latest scenery project, Dillingham, we jumped at the opportunity to add it to our product range.

Dillingham (KHDH) is a smallish recreational airport near the western most point on Oahu, Kaena Point (Hawaii) and is perfect for gliders, ultralights and the like. It has a rich history being a major airfield in WO II and the US air force still uses it right now as a training base. Release is expected in the next few weeks and we are happy to be able to show you some images (done by Nick as always). If you happen to feel you have seen this before it's because the hit series 'Lost' has been filmed on this location!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aerosoft
Nice picutres and good idea with the part of an airplane near the beach. :wink:

In my opinion it'll be an excellent product.

But you should sell it for FS09 too. :wink:

Ask yourself this... how many FS2004 add-on YOU think you will buy around xmas 2008? Cause that is when we still intend to sell this product.

"Ask yourself this... how many FS2004 add-on YOU think you will buy around xmas 2008? Cause that is when we still intend to sell this product."

I, ME will be buying FS9 Addons for at least 3 more years.

Again, too bad not for FS9. You guys sure are thick.

Guess i need to unsubsribe to your email notices of new products, because its only FSuX!

By the way, looks great.

Keyno

Oh dear oh dear... someone has forgotten their manners - or never learned. :wink:

Fact:

FSX will run on older systems with SP1 out.

Fact:

I can get up to 30, 35 FPS on AMD X3200 single core, ATI X800 256MB RAM.

If I can make X work on an old rig now...

Fact:

Gravity sucks

Fiction: (and very rude at that)

The image below was take from the old PC described above. Look at the numbers and weep, o ye of little faith. (OK, that is not an average, but low was at around 15 smooth)

I run both FSX and FS9 on my new computer and both run very smooth. The SP1 patch was a big improvement and I am enjoying FSX very much but still use FS9 also because I have so many great add-ons already installed like AES.

Apologize for that comment.

I just dont understand a company that doesn't adhere to its customer wishes. Its very plain, black and white,...customers asking for FS9 products, but Aerosoft refuses and oddly saying, if you want FS Addons, you must go with FSX. Having my own company for 28yrs, ive learned to listen, listening to what the customer wants is half of what makes a business successful. Theres more than money, theres respect, admiration, pride and honor. Think about it Aerosoft, there are real people, upset that these addons are not for FS9 also. It is really a shame, cause we all see, its very well done scenery, and us FS9ers can not enjoy it.

• Aerosoft
"Ask yourself this... how many FS2004 add-on YOU think you will buy around xmas 2008? Cause that is when we still intend to sell this product."

Guess i need to unsubsribe to your email notices of new products, because its only FSuX!

Keyno

Keyno, please show some respect, we are not thick but we got a business to run. If you think that can be done with FS2004 products at this moment you are looking at different numbers then we are seeing here. It is just not realistic.

As for buying FS2004 add-ons for at least 3 more years... good luck, however I am convinced you won't find any new FS2004 addons 2 years down the road. We'll be glad to sell you at that moment the FS2004 products we have now of course.

The images above have been compressed somewhat further than I expected, I hope Mathijs doesn't mind if I link to some larger images with slightly better clarity HERE

Bill's been working hard on this scenery for months, utilising new techniques which are available in FSX. I suggest that those that still enjoy FS9 and choose not to move to FSX, respect the designers that DO want to move forward without doubling their workload.

ChrisB,

Would you mind sharing your FSX settings or any additional tweaks you have done for FSX? I have a P920D dual core, 2gb ram and an ATI X1300 256mb video card and FSX runs good for the most part but I max around 20fps and have trouble in big cities like Las Vegas. I like the way your terrain looks, very detailed and crisp. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I really have to respect Aerosoft for still releasing fs9 products, you are one of the very few companies that have not left FS9'ers in the dust yet, however whats the point of creating sceneries like this for FSX only when you run it at max 15 FPS? The graphics dont mean anthing if you cant enjoy it smoothly, it just causes frustrations.

whats the point of creating sceneries like this for FSX only when you run it at max 15 FPS? The graphics dont mean anthing if you cant enjoy it smoothly, it just causes frustrations.

What is the basis of this statement please?

What is the basis of this statement please?

Well.. the fact that i have a computer that should be able to run FSX over 30fps with high details according to the FSX users, the reality of it is different.. i'm struggling to get over 15 fps no matter how much i try to tweak it. SP1 is installed, drivers are up to date.. and so on.

FSX is not the primary flightsim platform yet and FS9 will be around for a long time still, and just cutting out products for it is not a good idea right now, but it doesent seem like developers want to realize that.

I'm sorry for de-railing this thread, but i have stated my opinions and the facts about my experience with FSX

Apologize for that comment.

I just dont understand a company that doesn't adhere to its customer wishes. Its very plain, black and white,...customers asking for FS9 products, but Aerosoft refuses and oddly saying, if you want FS Addons, you must go with FSX. Having my own company for 28yrs, ive learned to listen, listening to what the customer wants is half of what makes a business successful. Theres more than money, theres respect, admiration, pride and honor. Think about it Aerosoft, there are real people, upset that these addons are not for FS9 also. It is really a shame, cause we all see, its very well done scenery, and us FS9ers can not enjoy it.

There are so many addons there for FS9. Do you have all of them or something that you seem to be running out of FS9 addons?

I have many FS9 addons... and If I really want FS9 addons..there are still tons of them out there to buy and enjoy.

:shock:

ChrisB,

Would you mind sharing your FSX settings or any additional tweaks you have done for FSX? I have a P920D dual core, 2gb ram and an ATI X1300 256mb video card and FSX runs good for the most part but I max around 20fps and have trouble in big cities like Las Vegas. I like the way your terrain looks, very detailed and crisp. Thanks in advance.

Sorry Brian - I missed that reply. :oops:

As some of you guys know by now, that was/is Vancouver X.

That Beaver shot was taken, as I said, on my "old" PC. My averages were slightly under 20, but I did benchmark certain configurations from FSAddon's Vancouver and with settings like these below, it was a very smooth average around 20 when away from heavy urban areas.

SP1

Visual range around mid

Autogen mid and mid

Mesh resolution <38>19

Scenery >1 metre

No scenery shadows

No aircraft shadows

No bloom

No weather change

No airport, air, road or water traffic (or minimal 15 - 25%)

But I got there by starting with all the sliders in the scenery section on minimum and working up. Also I defragged (5 FPS due to the fragging on my system)

Also - I set the Catalyst control panel to "Let the application decide" and set bilinear / Anistotropic. Also - in some configurations, setting FSX refresh to unlimited might allow one or three more FPS than restricting to, say, 25. I don't know why.

And the tweaks described on FSinsider website (Phil Taylor's) such as limiting the number of autogen trees and buildings.

More to the point - once I had something around 18, I switch the FPS counter off - once my sim is running smoothly, all other "numbers" are unnecessary.

I get the same FPS on my "new" rig - but I can move the sliders a lot further right

I really have to respect Aerosoft for still releasing fs9 products, you are one of the very few companies that have not left FS9'ers in the dust yet, however whats the point of creating sceneries like this for FSX only when you run it at max 15 FPS? The graphics dont mean anthing if you cant enjoy it smoothly, it just causes frustrations.

Remember the Aerosoft A-10, Boxer, and Mahattan initial FS2004 releases :?:

They weren't exactly "FPS-Friendly" at the time of their release either... :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Just by way of defending my own choice of sims, I must point out that the fps are significantly higher on my rig in Hawaii than in other locations. Maybe it's the lower overall traffic volume, or the tiny specks of land compared to the big blue sea, but the performance is just better here in "X". Even with the loads of detail I've heaped into Dillingham, the experience is nice and smooth. And my computer is no monster, either, but a lowly mid-level rig that was hot stuff 18 months ago. Don't go assuming that because you get 2fps over Tokyo in FSX, you'll have a bad time in Dillingham. It just ain't so! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...