what to do with FS9 addons

seahawk09

Hey everyone,

I was flying around the other day and I was thinking of those people who bought all those fs9 addons like the beaver the 747-400 the seahawk. I was thinking what will people do when they switch over to FSX do they just throw them out?? if so there throwing away alot of good money some people spend tons of money just to make there flight sim look as real as possible and now they switch to FSX they have to re purchase the same software so that they can run a good flight sim. That to me sounds crazy i only wish that i could just upload my addons to FSX I think they should have made FSX cross compatiable with all addons.

Richard

Where are your FS2002 payware add-ons :?: :wink:

But for me, since I'll be flying at least VOZ and Golden Wings 3 for a long time (and probably FS2004 "default"), I'm not concerned with what to do with my FS2004 add-ons :D

Hey everyone,

I was thinking what will people do when they switch over to FSX do they just throw them out??

Richard

That's exactly the reason why I have removed FSX from my system (in combination with the bad performance)

But even if FSX performance increases after I have bought a new system, chances are big that still I'll skip FSX. I have made huge investments in FS9 (1000's of euri's) and I have no plans to do the same for FSX.

Progress can be a hard pill to swallow. Just be thankful that you CAN use a lot of FS9 products with FSX, it's just that some may need tweaking to get certain functions to work.

I started with FS2004 (FS9) just a few months ago.

Don't know why I was infected with that virus so late.

I'll prefer flying with it now, also invested some money in it, and I prefer having updated add-ons and good performance instead of being Microsofts test flyer who has to wait until 2010 to have best performance with DirectX 11 and Windows Vista2... :lol:

I hate it when products are sold (long) before appropriate hardware and Windows is available...

Hopefully the add-on programmers will not stop their FS2004 support in the next few months...

Grisu

I started with FS2004 (FS9) just a few months ago.

Don't know why I was infected with that virus so late.

I'll prefer flying with it now, also invested some money in it, and I prefer having updated add-ons and good performance instead of being Microsofts test flyer who has to wait until 2010 to have best performance with DirectX 11 and Windows Vista2... :lol:

I hate it when products are sold (long) before appropriate hardware and Windows is available...

Hopefully the add-on programmers will not stop their FS2004 support in the next few months...

Grisu

LOL, welcome to the community!!! :lol:

Progress can be a hard pill to swallow. Just be thankful that you CAN use a lot of FS9 products with FSX.

I'm thankful that I can switch over to FSX, just as being as thankful that I can decide not to switch.

Each new FS that arrived (from version 2 up) I immediately bought and put on my system. With FSX it is just different for the reasons I explained.

For me personally the added value of FSX over FS9 is not sufficient enough (at this moment)

• Aerosoft

For now we have decided to keep on developing on both platforms. We planned to be fully on FSX at this moment, but the market is just directing us in different directions. They want FS2004 products so we'll make them. In box however we have to listen to shops and resellers and they simply do not order FS2004 products any more.

In box however we have to listen to shops and resellers and they simply do not order FS2004 products any more.

that's what it all comes down to ... :D

( I'm happy about it! I welcome progress ... )

If you should ever feel the need to get rid of some FS9 addons.... :D

I guess many people don´t have the hardware for FSX yet, so it will take it´s time, like it has before... But this time, the difference in Hardware needs is bigger I think...

For now we have decided to keep on developing on both platforms. We planned to be fully on FSX at this moment, but the market is just directing us in different directions. They want FS2004 products so we'll make them. In box however we have to listen to shops and resellers and they simply do not order FS2004 products any more.

Ha !!! I told you so ! 8)

<Francois ducks behind the bar again!>

Ha !!! I told you so ! 8)

<Francois>

Personally after the release of FSX I'm back to my insane spending habits with FS9 addons. When FSX is fixed and the hardware permits I'll do the same for FSX.

Personally after the release of FSX I'm back to my insane spending habits with FS9 addons. When FSX is fixed and the hardware permits I'll do the same for FSX.

I doubt that. Reading what famous scenery developers like fly tampa have to say about limited FSX possibilities, I rather stick with fs9. I will take advantage of free upgrades or reduced upgrades however. FSX is mainly cheap eye candy at high performance costs. But they didn't even touch the unrealistic ATC or other more important issues.

I doubt that. Reading what famous scenery developers like fly tampa have to say about limited FSX possibilities, I rather stick with fs9. I will take advantage of free upgrades or reduced upgrades however. FSX is mainly cheap eye candy at high performance costs. But they didn't even touch the unrealistic ATC or other more important issues.

It's all about sales ... the hardcore simmers that want realistic ATC and don't care about eye candy are a minority ... most customers buy for eye candy ... :roll: ... in Europe, they go into stores, see pretty boxes and pick' em up ... :D

this bunch have probably all long migrated to FS-X ... of course they don't make up many of the posters in FS forums ...

You doubt that? LOL!! How well do you think you know me? You assume too much now. Do you honestly think that Microsoft will leave FSX in the state that it's in? And contrary to what you believe the performance issue will sort itself out. The problem I have with that is that by the time the hardware catches up it'll be time for the next version of FS. Which is really stupid. But I seriously doubt that I'll stay with FS9 until FS11 comes out. For me that's just unrealistic thinking. FSX has alot of potential from what I've read in the SDK documentation. Don't just go by what you've read from other people, read the SDK documentation for yourself. Btw, do you have FSX?

You doubt that? LOL!! How well do you think you know me? You assume too much now.

What put you under the impression, I was talking about you? I was merely taking your words to post my own opinion on the same matter.

But yes, MS will leave FSX as it is. They will fiddle a little with performance issues, but they won't do much about the code (see the developer blog). And hardware won't catch up with that thingy, because the "future systems" quote is coming streight from the MS or ACES PR department to cover up for missing the multicore train.

And I wouldn't talk about FSX if iI wouldn't have it. :twisted:

What put you under the impression, I was talking about you?

Uhh, maybe the fact that you quote me and then say that you "doubt that". Usually when you quote someone it means that you are talking to them.

But yes, MS will leave FSX as it is.

So the missing landclass won't be fixed? I find that hard to believe.

And hardware won't catch up with that thingy, because the "future systems" quote is coming streight from the MS or ACES PR department to cover up for missing the multicore train.

Come on. When has it not caught up? Are you just making things up to try to scare people now? This isn't the conspiracy that you think it is. :lol:

And I wouldn't talk about FSX if iI wouldn't have it. :twisted:

Alot of people do, that's why I asked.

So the missing landclass won't be fixed? I find that hard to believe.

So, when has it been fixed in fs9 without any addons? It's still missing.

And as for the hardware, what did you have in mind? You think, that CPUs will go back to single core anytime soon? FSX is still mainly a CPU hog. Well, maybe there will be multicore CPUs with one of the cores being strong enough to shoulder the whole workload, but the avsim post of one of the developers - the one, that got deleted pretty quickly - hummed a different tune. He admitted into the team missing the multicore train.

Also, recent interviews point to the same direction. There's one with Scott Anderson, business development manager of MS in the german fs magazine. Basically he claims, that the future systems he was refering to was a CPU with a little more than 3.0 GHZ, 2 Gigs of quick Ram and a video card with 512 MBs of Ram. Well, fine. I'm running a stronger machine and FSX does pretty well with the sliders to the middle. But it does abysmally with some sliders to the right. Also, he takes the wind out of the "runs even better on Vista" train. He states, that there won't be any performance boost using Vista (as was to be expected), only the looks will be better - using DX10.

So, when has it been fixed in fs9 without any addons? It's still missing.

No it's not, what version of FS9 did you buy?. FS9 doesn't depict one third of the United States as Sahara-like desert like FSX does. Addons improve FS9 but it wasn't broken to begin with like FSX.

And as for the hardware, what did you have in mind? You think, that CPUs will go back to single core anytime soon?

No, but do you think that CPUs are as fast as they are ever going to get? Progress happens technology increases and improves. Look at the latest videocards. The biggest limiting factor with FSX right now is time.

...hummed a different tune. He admitted into the team missing the multicore train.

We've said that all along. He didn't have to admit to what is obvious now.

Also, recent interviews point to the same direction. There's one with Scott Anderson, business development manager of MS in the german fs magazine. Basically he claims, that the future systems he was refering to was a CPU with a little more than 3.0 GHZ, 2 Gigs of quick Ram and a video card with 512 MBs of Ram.

You're still talking about machines that are available today. The last time I checked today is not the future, it's the present. Look at what we had for processors when FS9 came out as opposed to what we have now. You don't think that we'll see another jump in technology over the next couple years?

Also, he takes the wind out of the "runs even better on Vista" train. He states, that there won't be any performance boost using Vista (as was to be expected), only the looks will be better - using DX10.

I never believed that Vista with DX10 was going to be the key to unlocking some secret treasure chest of performance, so that's a non-issue anyway. All Vista will do is demand a higher minimal spec computer as past versions of Windows have done. It will give you DX10 which will make games designed for DX10 look prettier. But a magic increase in performance... come on that's like believing in Jack's magic beans.