F-14 Status Update

jcagle

Just to know it's being worked on is good.  Question,,,If the F-14 is purchased for FSX Steam will it have to be re-purchased for P3D V3 ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been pushing away, but it become (sadly) clear that a release before Christmas is not in the cards. Given staff vacations, it's fairly certain that the update will be pushed in (very) early January.

To give a little bit of a boost on that news, here is a preview of some of the 70+ fixes and additions.

1) Cleaned up cockpit textures, and functional refinements using detailed feedback from an F-14 driver.

Please login to display this image.

2) TARPS Digital Integration, Yes this is P3D.

3) Yes this is P3D, FLOLS lights are fixed and there is a new 3D landing light (Thank you Anthony Lynch!! http://www.antsairplanes.com/ )

4) Speaking of the Kitty Hawk. It has new P3D compatible wake effects (Thank you Vince McCoy!)

It's looking great John, I can't wait for January.

Quick question is it possible to get the TARPS view a gauge that can be brought up so we can take screenshots of target in full screen for use as recon photos?

Yes, that should be possible. The TARPS DI is a (dynamic) alternate to TCS, so they should both be able to appear in the existing 2D FLIR panel.

Also, the Brightness and Contrast knobs above the RIO TID now affect the TV image and that can go a long way to improve the readability depending on the time of day and target/background (both TARPS and TCS).

Sure, but this is not official and isn't fully comprehensive. There are a couple of visual additions that haven't been added to the list, and won't until they are in place. Also, there are two big request items that will not make it into the SP, TacPack TACAN integration (described here) and Shared Cockpit. We want to state this up front so there are established expectations (good and bad).

General Code/System Improvements
+ Fixed E-Gen Switch logic
+ Crew Visibility
+ Ground Power (Selectable)
+ "Speedbrake" no longer displayed with Flaps Down in 2D Mini-HUD
+ Removed Contrails
+ Fix Lua items in Manuals
+ Added Key Events for PITOT heat and Panel Lights

Features
+ Added 3D landing light, ground illuminates (Thank you Anthony Lynch!!)
+ Many xml systems converted to C++ for more robust function
+ Auto Throttle logic improved and more robust
    * A model now exhibits more realistic cyclic type control system
+ All control surfaces now exhibit more authentic hydraulic response
    * Includes Rate limitations and time constant/damping dehavior (sourced from NASA)
    * Strongly recommended that users push the controls around from an external view to see input-output delays and responses.
+ ARI/SAS system more authentic by implementing time-constants, damping, and other gain adjustments (all sourced from NASA). 
+ Built from scratch airspeed system that starts with Ambient Air properties and ends with Indicated Airspeed using NATOPS data
+ Steam gauges now exhibit errors in transonic flight and with the refuelling probe extended
+ DLC and Maneuver Flap Logic reworked
    - DLC ON/OFF Toggle (Implemented through EXT/RET Floats)
        * Only one button needed, both serve as a "toggle" function
    - DLC and Maneuver Flap Thumbwheel [Incr/Decr] (Implemented through INCR/DECR COWL FLAPS)
        * Thumbwheel is spring loaded to return to center, so control input MUST be set to "repeat while held"

RADAR-TACAN
+ Radar returns to previous setting after breaking lock rather than resetting
+ Change Kitty Hawk TACAN channel changed to 112.5 - 72X for better multiplayer compatibility
+ TACAN/GPS data on BDHI should be removed in A2A or A2G modes
+ Added ability to change course setting with active TACAN

USS Kitty Hawk
+ FLOLFS Lights do not Float away
+ Improved and P3D compatible wake effect (Thank you Vince McCoy!!)

TacPack

+ P3D compatibility
+ Late model F-14's have C model AIM-54's
+ TCS now implemented with two (correct) zoom levels, rather than continuous zoom.
+ Added TARPS Digital Integration (DI)
    - Selecting "A/G" mode with a Tarps pod installed will link video feed to VDI and TID

+ Brightness and Contrast knobs on the RIO TID adjust all TV images
+ Manual Chaff/flare dispense (uses DLC Toggle when GEAR UP)

VC fixes from F-14 driver feedback
+ Wingsweep Indicator now contains Auto Mode caret and bracket for Selected Sweep Angle
+ Emergency Fuel Shut-off handles no longer rotate
+ Turn Needle animation fixed and re-colored to match historical progression
+ Gear Indicators fixed
+ Speed Brake indicators fixed
+ Slat indicators fixed
+ Horizontal Stab deflections fixed
+ ACM JETT converted to button
+ Canopy OPEN/CLOSE is now FORE/AFT sliding level
+ UHF Channel rotate "around the horn"
+ Master Test Switch rotates "around the horn"
+ Engine gauges on the F–14A (RPM, TIT, and FF) are white tape gauges, like the AOA and wing sweep indicators. in the
F–14B, the gauges are small white segments and EGT replaces TIT as the temperature instrument.
+ The engine nozzle position indicators are 1–5 in the F–14A and 0–100% in F–14B.

Caution and Warning Light Logic Rework
+ Master Caution Light does not reset CAW's, instead it alerts pilot of a new active CAW on the Master Caution Panel
+ Add Engine Stall Tone
+ BRAKES light is now on when Parking Brake is ON
+ Light colors
    - colors of the CAW lights should be as follows:
    - Warning lights: Black letters on red background
    - Caution lights: Yellow letters on black background
    - Advisory lights: Green letters on black background
    - Blanks: Horizontal line through
+ All lights illuminated during Master Test should revert to off once Master Test switch is pulled up
+ During Master Test SW - Inst Test:
    - The R Fuel Low Caution light ON
    - Stall tones ON plus L and R ENG STALL lights

Thanks for posting that John and thanks to the entire team for all the work they have put into this, now all I want for Christmas is for it to be early January now ;). Really looking forward to this update.

Cheers and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

-Josh

Thank you very much for the great update, it looks like a very good new year. I hope you and your team have a Very Merry Christmas.

JeffG

Thanks for the update. One thing I didn't see and please forgive me if I missed it....the catapult end speed. The jet would barely make 150 at the end of the stroke and sort of wallowed into the air, almost stalling. A lot of users posted concerns. Has this been addressed/fixed? 

Thanks in advance! 

H

Hi. Great news about the update, it has some great new additions. One more thing is, in April it was mentioned, that the afterburner effects will be having a look at, has this been looked at, or are the staying the same?  

Thanks for the update. One thing I didn't see and please forgive me if I missed it....the catapult end speed. The jet would barely make 150 at the end of the stroke and sort of wallowed into the air, almost stalling. A lot of users posted concerns. Has this been addressed/fixed? 

Thanks in advance! 

H

H,

There is a way in the Tacpack menu to adjust cat endspeed. Most of the time it is unrealistically set for 200kts.

Did a short hop in the F-14 and had a few thoughts on a few things.

The first was that the checklist for the 'B' talks about the EMERG STORES JETT push button is supposed to illuminate during LTS check but I have never been able to make it do so.

The Second was I was thinking it would be really nice to have the option to change where the HUD is rendered I would like to be able to have it rendered on the HUD glass so that the HUD supports and what not didn't mask parts of the symbology and while in extremely low visibility.

I also noticed that when looking over my shoulder I can see the lights on the underside of the leading edge and both top and bottom disappear if you look back to far.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks in advance! 

H

This is realistic and the launch speed is correct for short deck carrier such as the Kitty Hawk. The behavior is known as "Wing Rock"; it's called out on page 5 of Vol.4 in but the manual, but you can do a google search for "F-14 Wing Rock" and find that it was a topic that NASA tried to fix with their ARI.

Remember that the F-14 is heavy. A C-2 Greyhound cargo aircraft has a max take-off weight of 60,000lb and an E-2 Hawkeye is 57,500lb. MTOW for the F-14 is 70,000lb. I can't remember the the difference in stroke length between the Kitty Hawk and Nimitz, but it's not insignificant.

Did a short hop in the F-14 and had a few thoughts on a few things.

The first was that the checklist for the 'B' talks about the EMERG STORES JETT push button is supposed to illuminate during LTS check but I have never been able to make it do so.

The Second was I was thinking it would be really nice to have the option to change where the HUD is rendered I would like to be able to have it rendered on the HUD glass so that the HUD supports and what not didn't mask parts of the symbology and while in extremely low visibility.

I also noticed that when looking over my shoulder I can see the lights on the underside of the leading edge and both top and bottom disappear if you look back to far.

Just a few thoughts.

That would result in an un-collimated HUD, so you would be not able to transfer the information on the HUD screen to the outside world. Taken a flight in the Acceleration F/A-18 and you can see this effect first hand.

Okay I definitely can see the difference, though while doing comparisons I had a thought and it may be impossible or to much work but anyway... Would it be possible to render information such as airspeed and bank scale, altitude and heading, etc within the HUD frame and the flight path marker and pitch ladder and other flight path information out in front of the aircraft. Not sure if that would throw the whole HUD out of whack though.

Just a thought.

Thanks @jcagle, sounds awesome and REALLY looking forward to the release!
Any chance the muzzle fire / tracer effect being included for guns (Takpack)? 

I think I managed to get that effect when I was flying with smoke effects turned on, though I would really like it if it bypassed the smoke system as multiplayer seems to want to show my smoke being on when it is off and vice versa to other people.

I don't think I've ever seen official tracer effects for a TacPack aircraft. We could put in fake tracers, but I think that would be really off putting since they wouldn't have an accurate trajectory.

On the muzzle effect, those are through the smoke system. Multiplayer is generally unhappy with the presence of L:vars, or custom xml variables that we use to create many of the advanced systems that are on the F-14. The only fix we've been able to figure out is to delete the smoke entries in the aircraft.cfg.

Archived