FSX on STEAM

Today I bought and installed FSXSE, a I was curious about the "promised" change in FPS.

First of all it seems to run smoother on my W8.1 system and the multiplayer platform performs quite good.

As a test I installed my good old Aerosoft F-16 Falcon (V121) in FSXSE, but in my aircraft list (with all variations activated)

I can only see three of them, F-16AM RNLAF, F-16AM BAF and F-16C USAF Thunderbirds. As I take a look in the folders,

all variations are correctly installed, but aren't showing in the aircraft list. And that's a pity...

I bought the new steam edition as well. I got more FPS. I have read that it is compiled with more modern compiler so it runs better on Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.

The only add-on I installed till now is the freeware scenery NL2000. It works like a charm, no issue's at all and I got 10 fps extra above Schiphol.

I have to say I did a complete new Windows 7 Pro install and followed "the Bible" as you can read here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I can imagine that there will be issue's when you switch over from FSX to FSX:SE due to uninstalled registry settings.

Today I'll install new add-ons and I will report here the results.

I' m happy with the new Steam Edition. I think it is better then a software supplier who is selling FSX for 11x higher price with a different (no home entertainment) license model.....

What I don't understand is why Aerosoft or any other software supplier for FSX didn't jump into this but a very small company like Dovetail. I wish Aerosoft took over FSX.

• Aerosoft

What I don't understand is why Aerosoft or any other software supplier for FSX didn't jump into this but a very small company like Dovetail. I wish Aerosoft took over FSX.

Well Dovetails is rather a lot bigger than Aerosoft that has now around 50 employees. But it's no secret that we were also in the running to buy the license. For some reasons that are not yet fully clear to us, Microsoft prefered Dovetails.

I'm very sorry to hear that Mathijs.

Anyway I bought the Airbus (318/319) yesterday evening and was very exited to install it on my FSX steam edition. As far I could see installing didn't have any issue's and during the startup in FSX I got those security questions about installing new gauges, etc. You know, the usual stuff.

But.....

In the manual I read that there is a small webserver inside the Airbush installation folder ( AirbusXConnectExtended.exe) so you can remote access the MCDU.

Well, after starting this little program I got an error message. Unfortunately I didn't make a screenshot of this but the message sounded like it wasn't well installed or something like that.

Tonight I will do a test on the "normal" FSX Gold edition.

I'm afraid add-ons who are not so advanced will run on the steam edition. The Airbus is a different piece of cake I guess ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I rolled like this:

Uninstall all Add-Ons from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
Uninstall all SimConnect from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
Uninstall FSX from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, after that delete:

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\
Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\

After that I snooped around regedit and ran CCcleaner to remove all traces of FSX in the registry.

then install Steam Edition FSX

also run after install:

steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\SimConnect.msi (this is important, otherwise MFD and ECAM will not work in the Airbus)

The problem is when regular FSX is not properly uninstalled or running alongside FSX-SE, FSX-SE creates FSX-SE folders but all Installers will want:

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

and NOT:

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE
AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX-SE
ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

This will cause stuff like RAAS to fail, and scenery not to be added properly.

But if you do it like described pretty much everything works out of the box. The installers will find the steam directory of FSX and add the scenery.

yep I have just tryeid and yes if FSX disk version is not installed, it is named FSX and not FSX-SE dont know if installers then might work normaly, havent tested it as I just got FSX steam version installed to se how it was named right out of the box.

Simple, buy P3D v2.4. No more CTD and its back to fun to fly time. FSX is so much trouble. I have windows 8.1 and older computer system with plenty of add-ons and P3D has not crashed once in 60 plus flights. I have old aircraft and new. No problems, except some night runway lights in some older scenery don't work. My average FPS in heavy cities is still 24 and the shadows on my on the cockpit was a new feature I didn't know about until I bought it. No brainer guys. FSX just wasn't fun anymore with all the instability.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I will do a test on the "normal" FSX Gold edition.

I am very interested in how your performance in your Schiphol example will be when you use a brand new install of FSX Gold. Somehow, I am pretty sure that those surprising 10 FPS you "gained" using FSX Steam Edition will be also there on a brand new install of FSX Gold, but it would be interesting if not.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Beaver to work! Had to install the 3 simconnects from the SDK folder under Legacy. I've only done a few flights but it seems to be fine. I have only the Steam addition installed, no other FSX Versions.

Archived