Aircraft does not remain level during flight

tscandrett1

I have had a problem recently present itself. I apologize in advance but I do not know what changes may have been made to the computer to cause these issues. This is a shared computer and I am away during the week for work.

Anyway, The AXE has recently begun to porpoise when the autopilot is engaged. I have read the threads stating this may be related to weather engine issue. I have disabled all weather, cleared all settings and suppressed any turbulance and winds within FSUIPC. Although this has reduced the exageration of the movement, it is still very present. While set up in cruise I will get a 1000 fpm variation as the aircraft noses up to about 500fpm then noses down to -500fpm.

I am not sure where to look at this point to correct the issue.

I am running 1.04 and a full licensed copy of FSUIPC on FSX/Acceleration.

Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

Todd

And can someone explain why in the world when trying to manually fly an approach, the autopilot decides it's going to turn back on an fight me for control of the throttles? Just registered a landing at -3200 fpm. Yeah, that's a crash.

On top of the porpoising issue, not being able to land this thing as stated before, the months of delays, I am officially joining the group of customers that is horribly unhappy with the product.

I compare this to the Feelthere Ejets v2 series and this comes up short. I know there has been a year in development and many who like it but given the problems and the fact that I am continually chasing the next "fix" to whichever problem there is, I think this will be put in the hangar till a later date.

Sorry guys, headed back to Boeing.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Sorry boy, but you can't compare the AXE with Ejets nor with the Boeing. The operating philosophy of Airbus is completely deifferent.

Follow exactly the step-by-step guide to make yourself familiar with the Airbus.

The fact you called me boy demonstrates your lack of professionalism and is very insulting. Secondly the only recommendation you have to follow the tutorial flight step by step over and over and over and over and over and over again until I am familiar with the oh so very specific systems of the Airbus. Then you mark this issue as solved because obviously all I have to do if follow the step by step tutorial and it will all be fine.

Absolutely ridiculous. How about tell me where in the tutorial I might be screwing something up or a setting that might cause the plane to fight to maintain altitude without going nose up and nose down.

And yes, I can compare this product to the Ejet series as it too is a MEDIUM reality flight model, with certain flight systems simulated. This whole "philosophy" belief on how to model the aircraft is a bunch of crap. It's not a philosophy that is causing my plane to do crazy things.

I'll be back to see if anyone can provide any actual assistance at some point. So Otto, please open this back up as it is has NOT been solved.

The fact you called me boy demonstrates your lack of professionalism and is very insulting. Secondly the only recommendation you have to follow the tutorial flight step by step over and over and over and over and over and over again until I am familiar with the oh so very specific systems of the Airbus. Then you mark this issue as solved because obviously all I have to do if follow the step by step tutorial and it will all be fine.

Absolutely ridiculous. How about tell me where in the tutorial I might be screwing something up or a setting that might cause the plane to fight to maintain altitude without going nose up and nose down.

And yes, I can compare this product to the Ejet series as it too is a MEDIUM reality flight model, with certain flight systems simulated. This whole "philosophy" belief on how to model the aircraft is a bunch of crap. It's not a philosophy that is causing my plane to do crazy things.

I'll be back to see if anyone can provide any actual assistance at some point. So Otto, please open this back up as it is has NOT been solved.

You can always try my method below......... this resolves the issues in my case and the airbus is a great plane to fly. You are going to find that when the airbus x extended is doing crazy things as you say that you are most likely flying through some moderate to heavy turbulence or have a jet stream near by .Even removing turbulence and weather did not completely solve my issue.

I too had issues with the airbus......but I am running prepar3d on a moderate system with low frame rates which messes up the fly by wire.

Then I made the changes as per my post below and all solved. In short...... change the way turbulence impacts your aircraft. You must also remove turbulence from your fsx or prepar3d weather settings.

http://forum.aerosof...tays-on-course/

Hmmm, let's start anew here. The porpoising issue is usually the result of a weather change and/or turbulence. It can happen with any payware addon. Please take a look at what Roy (rjord) has posted above. It's well laid out and is very useful, and will probably solve or at least help with your issue.

If you do what he suggests, and you still have issues, come back and let us know. We'll need to know your system specs as well. Please also ensure that you are averaging 18 fps, as the FBW is reliant upon it.

First I would like to thank you guys for providing a recommendation for me to try.

Following the advice, I have made the changes to the FSUIPC.ini file and the FSX.cfg file. I also adjusted the weight and balance so that the pax weight was centered in the configuration bar as was the cargo. I also disabled all weather in FSX, selected the disable turbulence and thermal effects in the FSX weather options tab. Within FSUIPC, in the misc tab I checked the "Control Spike elimination" and Elevator. Under the winds tab in FSUIPC I selected the "Suppress the wind effects" "turbulence" "gusts" and "variance". Under the clouds effect tab I selected "Suppress all cloud turbulence".

After all of these changes were made I attempted another flight with no success. The aircraft still bobs up and down like it is on a bumpy road.

My frame rates are ranging from about 16 - 35. When I am at cruise I am at 30 fps or better and this is when the motion is most pronounced due to the anticipation of straight and level flight.

System hardware is the following.

Intel Core i7 -3820 @ 3.6 GHZ / not overclocked

Win 7 64

16 GB of RAM

NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti

I am running FSX w/Acceleration, Traffic 360 and REX 2.0 (disabled)

Sim hardware is:

CH Yoke, Pedals and Throttle quadrant

GoFlight MCP Advanced

GoFlight Landing gear module

GoFlight GF166 as Comms

GoFlight GF166 as NAV

GoFlight GF46 for Alt, Xpndr, etc

GoFlight GF-RP-48 for misc items

All items work flawlessly with default FSX aircraft and very well with few issues with numerous add-ons such as the FeelThere EJets v2, Quality Wings 757, RealAir Lancair Legacy and Duke, Flight1 ATR72 and Level D 767.

Any additional ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Respectfully,

Todd

Because this is happening at high altitude this is definitively an issue with weather and wind shift .... I know because I have been there before. I could even tell when it was about to happen because in my case OpusFSX would change the weather and within seconds I would have a huge windshift due to the bug in FSX and prepar3d.

I was also able to predict instability was about to occour when a layer of clouds formed suddenly directly below the airbus and my airbus would go wild.... this due to low frame rates and it's effect on Fly by Wire.

Now that I have made the changes as per my last post I do not get that any more.

In your post you changed a number of other things so I have no idea what those changes will do. All I did was make the changes to those 2 files, remove the weather smoothing from FSUIPC and get opus fsx to handle the wind smoothing.

Rex also has an option to handle wind smoothing....... I just cannot find that post any more . Perhaps searching the Rex forum you may find it or ask them there. I would suggest getting Rex to handle the wind smoothing instead of FSUIPC... and if REX does not help then get FSUIPC to handle the wind as well.

Also you need to make sure that you have winds aloft turned off in FSX.

Before you change anything else with the airbus I also handle turbulent air by keeping my speed to 250 kts. It is in the guide for the 737s in the real world that when flying in turbulent air that your cruise speed should be set at 250 kts. This seems to work in my case for the airbus as well. When I first started flying the airbus x extended, I found that when I was taking off if I was flying too fast then I would have issues. This was because I was flying at TOGA not Flex.

You also need to look at the wind conditions and see if you have a head wind or a tail wind and how fast you are going. Took me a while to work out why i was havng overspeed issues followed by instability in my aircraft.

Unless you look for where the turbulence is , such as using the site in the my prior post, then you will not know if you are flying in low turbulence or in moderate to severe turbulence until your plane reacts.

I also found that if I look at a window outside fsx / prepar3d and the flight sim is not paused, then when you return to the flight sim you can get issues where the aircraft loses control.

So make sure you pause the sim before going to another screen.

If none of this helps, I suggest you probably need to do a screenshot of your instruments when you are having issues..... perhaps there is something in the screenshot that the airbus guys will see to help you. Make sure you do the Shift Z thing so that the frame rates are shown in the screenshot,.

Roy

I appreciate the input but it is not related to the TOD or managed descent issue. The porpoising action happens at all phases of flight but is most pronounced during cruise. Attached are a few pictures that demonstrate the situation. Please notice a few items. I am cruising, straight and level. Airspeed should be well within limits, I am on course with the nav autopilot. Look at the wind indicators. There is no wind registered as all weather effects have been turned off. For comparison look at the verticle speed tape and compare that to the DME measurement for the next fix. You will see that within 3/10ths of a mile I am going from +500fpm to -500fpm. Any advice is appreciated.

2013-2-16_11-52-5-675_zps94e8927f.png

2013-2-16_11-52-7-392_zps3ba66825.png

2013-2-16_11-52-9-805_zpsa99f9a3f.png

2013-2-16_11-52-11-886_zpsf371da39.png

I'll mark this as open because I'm at a loss for the cause. Hopefully I can get one of the devs to take a look at this later this evening/tomorrow to provide some feedback.

Suppose a flight recorder file might help a bit?

btw.

This is actually what is bunch of crap. Your problems are caused by misbehaviour of FBW law system, which is exactly the thing that does not exist in E-jets (those by Wilco, or those real). It IS, therefore, exactly the philosophy (of Airbus planes) that directly causes your problem.

Looking at the 4 screenshots ..... have a look at the checklist bar at the top and it is showing " Move Side stick full left."

This would suggest that the side stick has not gone through the left....right..... up , down and neutral positions checklist item before doing the taxi checklist.

Roy

I have these issues in the early part of flights. I switch off and on the autopilot and auto throttle and it then settles down and flys at the correct alitude and speed. Rob

Apparently the solution is to uninstall and reinstall FSX and everything else to go along with it. Must have had a corrupt install of an update or something. Everything seems fine now, just hope it doesn't present itself as a problem again. Not a big fan of getting FSX back the way I like it.

Apparently the solution is to uninstall and reinstall FSX and everything else to go along with it. Must have had a corrupt install of an update or something. Everything seems fine now, just hope it doesn't present itself as a problem again. Not a big fan of getting FSX back the way I like it.

Unfortunately that can happen and can create havoc, but at the end of the day sometimes its the only choice. Thanks for letting us know its all fine now.

Rob

In your case check your PFD and see if you are at TOGA LCK which is reset by turning of and then back on your auto throttle.

Roy

No, definitely not in TOGA LCK! Rob

Archived