Mega Airport Helsinki X - crashing & missing buildings

It all started out in Stockholm. I had prepared for a short 45 minute flight to Finland and was expected to land at the new Mega Airport Helsinki X. Halfway there, I heard from a frind of mine, that his computer got a fatal error when approaching Helsinki. He had to turn down texture resolution to 1024 to prevent the sim from crashing. I couldn't care less, so I carried on. On my approach the same thing happend. Fatal error. Computer ran out of availible memory. I have a GTX660 graphics card with 2GB memory. That should not be possible!

Vantaa.jpg

I turned down texture resolution from 2048 to 1024 also, restarted the sim, and picked a Bell 222 helicopter to investigate the scenery. Nice and complex scenery it is, but where is the rest of the terminal building? Check also the tower in front of the Bell. Something essential is missing. I reinstalled the scenery 3 times, but with the same result.

Seems like this Mega Airport has Mega Failures.

I also got a really hit on performance. Frames dropped from 30 to around 15 when heading was against the main buildings. I have also tryed the Mega Airport Helsinki Tweaking Tool and disabled the apron baggage carts, apron static vehicles, cars and trees. That didn't help anything at all.

Right now, it's 4 hours since take-off from Stockholm....and I'm pretty much fed up with this crappy scenery. I'm tired of buying add-ons that don't work as they are supposed to.

My configuration:

Prepar3D version 1.4

Intel i7-950 @ 4.2 GHz

6 GB RAM

GTX660 2GB

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Regards,

Øystein Hansen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging from the screenshot you've taken it seems like you're flying inside the terminal building, below the roof which is the most likely cause for this result.

However, im also having the out of memory problem with this scenery.

Also, words like: "Seems like this Mega Airport has Mega Failures" and "I'm pretty much fed up with this crappy scenery" is not the best way to ask for support, though i can understand the frustration.

The scenery's only been out for 1 day, please let the devs have a chance at helping you before posting words like this :)

To me this scenery is a great one, it looks fantastic, and when the performance issues is ironed out, i'm sure it will be a great addon

Well, I can assure you that I don't have the terminal there, even when flying higher and/or further away.

Frustrated? Yes, I am! Maybe I should have asked gently for support instead? I believe that I'll be able to figure out why there are missing buildings, but right now I'm not sure that I wanna spend more time on that issue. I want to fly - not test software! I can't fix the performance issue anyway...

I have 12GB of RAM and 1GB of GPU memory and still get "...computer ran out of memory. Please restart with lower graphics settings..."

I agree something needs to be done. We will leave it to the developers to improve.

And yes, I do want to use TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. If I can use it with Orbx YBBN then it should work everywhere else too.

Thanks

I ran out of memory myself.I did a flight lszh-efhk.When I was on approach i started seeing spikes and fsx crashed with a OOM. Tested 3 times same error. specs: i7980x at 4.2-gtx580- 6gbram win7 x64.I'm not using affinity. I'm using this:

[bUFFERPOOLS]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=8388608

RejectThreshold=262144

Edit: I tested with BP=O as well and i still get OOMs

Dear Mr Hansen.

I got the same problem as you. The missing terminal building.

I guess also in your installation the activation of the scenery was ok, but could you please check if the ase_module is still running under fsx/p3d. Mine is not since the installation of MA Helsinki. So I think its not the airport that is buggy, its more the aerosoft copy protection that is buggy.

Hope we get a quick sollution soon.

Christian1974

My first installation of the scenery ended with a dll.xml error message. The ASE module did not load, so you are right about that. No other modules in the dll.xml file did't load either.

After fixing the file (put back the backupfile), I edited it and put in the correct ASE information before I reinstalled the scenery. This time without any errors. All modules now starts, include the ASE module, but still missing buildings.

The scenery is off course activated in Aerosoft Launcher.

Dear Mr Hansen

I´m sorry to hear that.

For myself I found a sollution for FSX NOT P3D

I unistalled the ASE-Module that comes with MA-Helsinki (V1.0.0.6) and reinstalled

the old Version from this link

http://aerosoft2.de/...DULES_V1004.exe

After that my ASE-Module was loaded in FSX again and I also got finally the missing buildings.

I still think Aerosoft has to do an update to their Module again...

Regarding the last replies from Aerosoft do not install the link above in P3D.

• Developer

We are working on an optional update for those of you having this issue.

Please also note that FSX has a memory leak problem in full-screen mode. This is especially true when running both complex aircraft and scenery at the same time and cycling between different views. In windowed mode this does not seem to happen.

• Developer

It all started out in Stockholm. I had prepared for a short 45 minute flight to Finland and was expected to land at the new Mega Airport Helsinki X. Halfway there, I heard from a frind of mine, that his computer got a fatal error when approaching Helsinki. He had to turn down texture resolution to 1024 to prevent the sim from crashing. I couldn't care less, so I carried on. On my approach the same thing happend. Fatal error. Computer ran out of availible memory. I have a GTX660 graphics card with 2GB memory. That should not be possible!

I turned down texture resolution from 2048 to 1024 also, restarted the sim, and picked a Bell 222 helicopter to investigate the scenery. Nice and complex scenery it is, but where is the rest of the terminal building? Check also the tower in front of the Bell. Something essential is missing. I reinstalled the scenery 3 times, but with the same result.

Seems like this Mega Airport has Mega Failures.

I also got a really hit on performance. Frames dropped from 30 to around 15 when heading was against the main buildings. I have also tryed the Mega Airport Helsinki Tweaking Tool and disabled the apron baggage carts, apron static vehicles, cars and trees. That didn't help anything at all.

Right now, it's 4 hours since take-off from Stockholm....and I'm pretty much fed up with this crappy scenery. I'm tired of buying add-ons that don't work as they are supposed to.

My configuration:

Prepar3D version 1.4

Intel i7-950 @ 4.2 GHz

6 GB RAM

GTX660 2GB

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Regards,

Øystein Hansen

The image you posted seems like an activation problem, you can contact Aerosoft support about this.

What is your LOD (Level of detail) distance setting in P3D? Try setting it to 4.5. It could help as I've understood increasing the setting too much can lead to memory problems in some cases. It is still not a 64-bit application so it can't take advantage of all the memory you have installed.

Hello Øystein Hansen,

please send me (maria.plet@aerosoft.de) the Log-Files:

aseDataLog.txt, aseLoadLog.txt => C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Aerosoft\logPrepar3D

and

dll.xml und Prepar3D.cfg => C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D

Thanks

Maria Plet

Hello,

I have the same problem with Helsinki! Prepar3D has a RAM usage of 5,1-5,6GB, followed by an OOM message.

Another problem that I have: Some vehicles and taxiways doesn't show their textures at night, but this could be to do the high RAM usage...

PS: I use Prepar3D in the windowed mode

• Aerosoft

Hello,

I have the same problem with Helsinki and PMDG NGX! Prepar3D has a RAM usage of 5,1-5,6GB, followed by an OOM message.

Another problem that I have: Some vehicles and taxiways doesn't show their textures at night, but this could be to do the high RAM usage...

PS: I use Prepar3D in the windowed mode

Keep in mind that PMDG does not support P3D at this moment so you can always expect the unexpected. Also keep in mind that it is VERY easy to get very low FPS in P3D as it allows some crazy settings.

The issue reported by mr Hansen, who thinks this is a 'crappy' product, seems to be related to an issue to the protection that unexpectedly fails on his system. Now we sold a few hundreds copies already (big success) and as you can see in the forum there are not a few hundred unhappy customers. So we are assuming these to be localized issues and those we can fix. If the customer would only ask us first before calling the product 'crappy' it would all be so much nicer. Most of the time the cause of these issues is one on the customers system and not something we can anticipate on. Or they are problems caused by FSX (like the memory leaks in full screen mode) that can not be avoided.

Performance wise it was always clear this is a very heavy product. It's a whopping load of detail on a very small location. And some systems will have problems with that. Comparing it to other projects only makes sense if you know the amount of polygons and textures loaded. And I can tell you honestly this one, at max settings, is one of the heaviest we ever seen. That's why it looks so good and that's why we offer the tool to reduce the load. I am sure the developers will look at this again, but you pay in performance for every polygon and every bitmap. See it this way, this project has same the level of detail as six (!) Maastricht Airports (or three mega airport Munchen) on an area that is the same. In load it comes close to Amsterdam and Budapest that are hard because of the very large areas that have to be covered with overlapping ground polygons where FSX has some major issues.

But please contact us before calling a product 'crappy', if only to be polite to the developers.

We are working on an optional update for those of you having this issue.

Please also note that FSX has a memory leak problem in full-screen mode. This is especially true when running both complex aircraft and scenery at the same time and cycling between different views. In windowed mode this does not seem to happen.

FSX crashes with a OOM in windowed mode as well here.No difference.

• Aerosoft

FSX crashes with a OOM in windowed mode as well here.No difference.

And what is your OS? How much available memory you have? How much of that is locked in the lower 32 bit section? What aircraft are you using? Any other add-ons that eat up a lot of memory (texture replacement, weather things etc)?

The simple fact is that your FSX with this add-on at your setting asks for more memory then you got available. You will either have to make more memory available or lower the settings. If you have tweaked FSX settings consider trying a fully standard cfg as we know of many tips floating around on the internet that cause serious memory issues without giving a lot (if any) of benefit.

And what is your OS? How much available memory you have? How much of that is locked in the lower 32 bit section? What aircraft are you using? Any other add-ons that eat up a lot of memory (texture replacement, weather things etc)?

The simple fact is that your FSX with this add-on at your setting asks for more memory then you got available. You will either have to make more memory available or lower the settings.

I included my specs in post #7 above anyway .-> specs: i7980x at 4.2-gtx580- 6gbram win7 x64

@Mathis,

if things do not work out how they should with this scenery for me in a few days when the patch is out would it be possible to swap the license ? I mean when the airbus Xtended is out You give me that instead of this scenery ? The price should be the same more or less as I have aribus X vs 1 ?

What a nasty comments....

I can just say that this is one of the heaviest airports on my system but it is the most beautifull ones I have ever seen. Incredible detail and such loving touches in every corner. I decide to remove some of the cars and now things are smooth enough to land.

• Aerosoft

@Mathis,

if things do not work out how they should with this scenery for me in a few days when the patch is out would it be possible to swap the license ? I mean when the airbus Xtended is out You give me that instead of this scenery ? The price should be the same more or less as I have aribus X vs 1 ?

If the product is faulty we would need the opportunity to fix it, but as I now see it the product is not faulty. We do not refund download products for the simple reason we can not be sure they are not used by the customer, this is one of the conditions of sale.

• Aerosoft

I included my specs in post #7 above anyway .-> specs: i7980x at 4.2-gtx580- 6gbram win7 x64

Okay but FSX is a 32 bit app and runs in the 32 bit memory space. And in your case you simply do not have enough for what you are asking it to do. This could be because you do not have a lot of memory available (having many 32 bit apps loaded) or you have some settings in FSX that causes problems or some add-ons that east up way too much memory. I know of some that simply reserve 1 gb of memory without even using it! We have seen the same with many other projects. US Cities X where the sheer number of objects causes some systems to overload. Manhattan X that is very hard to run with a lot of car traffic (that is VERY memory intensive).

If the product is faulty we would need the opportunity to fix it, but as I now see it the product is not faulty. We do not refund download products for the simple reason we can not be sure they are not used by the customer, this is one of the conditions of sale.

I understand but at the same time the only way for me to find out if the scenery is ok here on my machine is to test it and buy it and if it does not work I'm stuck with a product I cannot use.I know it's too early now because the devs are working on it. I was just saying...what ifs basically.

• Aerosoft

I understand but at the same time the only way for me to find out if the scenery is ok here on my machine is to test it and buy it and if it does not work I'm stuck with a product I cannot use.I know it's too early now because the devs are working on it. I was just saying...what ifs basically.

True... But we experimented with try before you buy systems but they caused massive problems (and eat up FPS). So there is nothing we can do there. If you worry about these things it is always best to wait a week or so and see how comments are (keeping in mind that happy simmers fly and unhappy simmer post, lol)

Archived