VFR Germany-All

Bushpounder

Hi all. I am thinking of buying all of the VFR Germany sceneries, but I need some questions answered. I know the scenery area will be enhanced, the water corrected, etc., but I want to know more about the airports themselves. Are the main airports also improved, or do the default airports show and one must purchase the airport updates? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don Moser

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Read the individual descriptions in the marketplace for the sceneries, airfields and airports. for sure, check out all the screen shots. They will give you a very good idea of how much the view out the window is improved. I've always used them together, and can't remember for sure the answer to your question, but as far as I do remember, you get default airports if all you have is the VFR scenery. That said, just the scenery alone really enhances the look and feel in FSX.

Airports are not included in VFR sceneries, it's just the landscapes. Nothing more than that. For airports you still got to use seperate sceneries such as German Airports or German Airfields. And still for several airports there are no sceneries available so they can't be improved.

Personally, I don't use any dedicated VFR sceneries. I only use airport sceneries. For the landscape I use FS Global 2010 (mesh add-on, corrects all the shapes in the landscape), Ultimate Terrain X Europe (landclass add-on, corrects all forests, meadows, cities, roads, rivers, railroads, etc. in all of Europe) and Ground Environment X Europe (texture add-on, more realistic ground textures). That's all you need for VFR flying, all other VFR sceneries are just a waste of money. Basically you can say these three products can be considered as VFR Europe.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

[...] That's all you need for VFR flying, all other VFR sceneries are just a waste of money.

Patrick,

Although I agree with you on your preference I think that you should not use such strong words in your opinion. After all we are guests here on the Aerosoft forums, and they publish these VFR sceneries. Other customers like them a lot.

• Upvote 2

+1

I really appreciate the VFR sceneries to fly at low level. But you are not obliged to buy the products covering the whole planet... :wacko:

Just chose the region that or you know ou that you would like to know.

And if you are a "hardcore liner" pilot enjoying to fly at level 350, you can try the FS altitude products from FranceVFR.

But as Eric said : it's a personal choice ! ;)

• Deputy Sheriffs

VFR Sceneries are of course not a waste of money. Only VFR sceneries can give you the feeling for kind of "real" VFR flying as they are based on aerial images. I also own products like UTX and FSGlobal (and FTX for NA and Australia) and they are a huge improvement to standard FSX.

You can not compare sceneries based on aerial images with addons rerplacing standard textures. Both have advantages and disadvantages. It just depends on your personal preferences: If you are a pure VFR flyer use sceneries based on aerial images where ever they are available. And for the rest use products like UTX, GEX and others.

Thank you all for the information. I ordered two so far (East and South) and should get them by this weekend. I guess I can then add in the airports as needed to upgrade the main fields. Again, thank you.

Don Moser

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm confident you'll enjoy your experience.

A thought on what you choose to add for airports to further enhance your FSX view out the window. If you prefer smaller, GA airports, for sure look into the German Airfields series, keyed to your chosen VFR Germany areas. Again, by checking the screenshots on the product page, you'll be able to guage the level of detail and "imersiveness."

On the other hand, if you have a good air carrier add-on, take a look at one of the German Airports. Try one first to see what you'll get over the default FSX airport. Here is where you'll see the greatest difference between default and one of the Aerosoft products. Note that while not all are published by Aerosoft, what's on the Aerosoft marketplace is distributed by Aerosoft and backed by them as well as the publisher. There are several excellent publishers besides Aerosoft, but that said, I've never been disappointed by one of the Aerosoft products.

I think you've taken a wise course by trying some of the products before you buy them all (if you're going to).

Hey Don, one addon I can suggest for the south is Friedrichshafen. This is one of my favorite airports to fly in to, though I can't exactly explain why! It's a rather small (passenger traffic-wise) airport, but it's a lovely approach to runway 06 over Lake Constance!

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thank you all for the information. I ordered two so far (East and South) and should get them by this weekend. I guess I can then add in the airports as needed to upgrade the main fields. Again, thank you.

Don Moser

Don, when installing you chould check this document regarding the order of your sceneries in the library. The document is in German, but should be self explaining.

Hey Don, one addon I can suggest for the south is Friedrichshafen. This is one of my favorite airports to fly in to, though I can't exactly explain why! It's a rather small (passenger traffic-wise) airport, but it's a lovely approach to runway 06 over Lake Constance!

Agreed that approach is very nice indeed, specially when the sun is low.

Guys, this is some great scenery! I love it!!!!! I can't wait to get north and west now!! I'll check into that, Matt. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Another question: How is the BIG Munich Franz Joseph scenery on framerates? I have a 2.8 and I am a little afraid of having to dial down the detail to the point where I'll the default back again! LOL! Thanks again!!

Don

• Deputy Sheriffs

Don, my compy is decent enough to provide a smooth experience, even with VFR Germany, all the German Airfields in the area and MegaAirport Munich. EDDM is one of my very favorites in the MegaAirport series.

I'm running a 4.0 MHz very stable overclock, so with a slower processor, it seems likely you may get a performance hit. Assuming you're running enough memory and Win7 64 bit so you can use it all, along with a decent video card, simply moving the sliders over a little to the left may well be enough.Judicous use of other settings (turning down the different kinds of traffic, weather settings and so forth) should also help

Don't run just one grapics setting. As Mathijs and others have suggested, having several graphics settings (low and slow, mega airport, small airport, etc.) worked out for your particular rig that are each optomised for that kind of flight, really helps. You just pick the one that applies for what you want to enjoy for that sim session and off you go.

Doing a search for the Munich scenery and checking for issues that others might have had, plus the resulutions, should give you an idea of what frame rates you could expect.

Finally, as said by many, it's really smoothness, much more than just frame rates, that you're truly after.

I agree, Herman. Smoothness can come at lower frames. But that is only good down so far! LOL! I may have to use some light freeware airport add-ons rather than the big package for now. Again, I appreciate the answers on these sceneries.

Don

Guys, this is some great scenery! I love it!!!!! I can't wait to get north and west now!! I'll check into that, Matt. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Another question: How is the BIG Munich Franz Joseph scenery on framerates? I have a 2.8 and I am a little afraid of having to dial down the detail to the point where I'll the default back again! LOL! Thanks again!!

Don

Glad you like the VFR Germany series. I also do like it a lot! On a 2.8GHz cpu, which I also used before upgrading, Looking at your request for the frames: I got around 12fps with the PMDG 737 NGX, REX2.0OD and AS2012. It's not really smooth, but in my opinion it is flyable. Also depending on the aircraft and settings you use you could get around 20fps.