• Aerosoft

Just a personal message written at 21:45 after spending an hour reading up on diaries (and two glasses of wine).

I am blown away by the way people have picked up on the idea.  Around 135 people are currently taking part, making screenshots, writing text. Much of it really great stuff to read and see. My idea was always to have an adventure, to be part of a group in using the simulator just like virtual airlines do (that's why we sponsor currently 355 VA's) and is great to see a plan work out as hoped. 

Most importantly, it enforces what I always felt was most important in our hobby, the people.  

Mathijs, sure, two glasses of wine make the world better to our eyes.

I, for myself, yesterday, after a pint of IPA, I overcome my doubts and in a minute bought a new gtx 1070 from my mobile, to appreciate the ATW tour at its best. In the meanwhile my thoughts were in a sort of manner the same as yours, and I would have never shared them until the end of the adventure if you weren't to express them now.

You and some others like you have made our hobby better and better everytime a new product was delivered. It's work, your work for our pleasure, and it's business.

But besides this, your intuition, your offering a whole section of aerosoft forum, this time offered us the chance to live a new experience, a wonderful adventure in our (second) life, no competition one against the other, just fun. It's further than business. I really do not know if I prefer planning or flying, or taking pics, or searching something that could have some sense to write in the diary. And I'm simming since FS5.1, and I did a lot of ATW, but this time is different.

So, let me thank you, indeed. And keep enjoying every single mile of our long path to London through the snow of the Alps, the blue of the Mediterranean, the sands of the desert, the smells of India, the wet of Siam, the colours of Hong Kong, the profile of Mt Fuji, the ice of Alaska, the breeze in SFO, the lands of Midwest, the skyline of NY, the waves of the Atlantic, back to the fog of London. (Classics do it better).

Is great fun Mathis. Might I suggest that if the vast majority are all finishing up in time on the 21st of Dec, we hold a mass multiplayer get together and all fly into London en Mass. That would be a great way to finish up. 

On 4-10-2017 at 10:01 PM, Tobus said:

I second that! A simple joinfs and teamspeak is all it takes. Would be epic!

Would have to be FSCloud, JoinFS doesn't support X-Plane. 

• 3 weeks later...

This message has a unique purpose: to thank Mathijs and all the pilot who are flying..... This is the first time that I participated in this kind of event and the first time that I will try to cross the world.

I have a great satisfaction flying virtually with all of you, but besides having the possibility to see the comments and photos of all..... And even the ones that I uploaded, remembering the flights I made.

Best regards, fly safe and happy landings.

Sorry for my english

Rodolfo

• 3 weeks later...

I truly believe this Around The World is the greatest online mass grouping I've ever encountered as a sim-pilot!  Having said that, I'm often confused that this around the world group is entered into as a "club" when logging in.  Yet when I log in I'm told I don't belong to any club??!!  If the Around The World In Eighty Days event isn't considered a "club", I have to wonder what is?? 

Rupert

• 1 month later...

Mathijs,

Thanks so much for this wonderful rally concept!!  This is the most enjoyable sim event I've ever been involved in!! 

Having said that, I have to admit I'm not nearly as good a story teller as Windswept and several others are!  But it was fun to try and provide comments to go along with the various scenery and flights.

I have made more than one good friend on this trek.  And I have had more fun than any flight I've ever taken when I wasn't RW holding the sticks!!

Rupert!!

Hello Matthis,

it was a great adventure. In addition to many well-known airports there were as many small airfields without instrument landing systems, some without charts. A challenge to vfr pilots, especially for those with old planes. 

Thank you for good organization, especially for your generous handling of gigs for our diary with much fotos. 

Merry Christmas and happy new year! 

Josef 

neben vielen großen bekannten flughäfen gab es n airports, there were as many small airfields without instrument landing systems, some without charts.

Hi Mathijs,

I just want to say "thanks'.  This has really been an epic adventure, which I've thoroughly enjoyed.  You've let me unleash my crazy, left field approach to simulation, and for that I am very thankful :)

I think the most amazing part of this adventure has been reading everyone's diaries!  The story-telling skills on display are pretty amazing!  I felt as though this was some kind of epic hollywood movie, with drama, excitement, twists and laughs!  What a great 8- days it has been....  I do fear however, that you have created a rod for your own back;  I have no idea in the world how you are going to create anything to match this in the future!

I shall raise a glass (or two...) to you this evening for your awesome idea!

Cheers from the antipodes

SeanG

Hi Mathijs, just wanted to add my thanks to you for making this idea happen. It's been great fun planning and flying the legs, going to airports not previously visited and writing up the log afterwards. And reading the logs of the other pilots too, many who took the story telling around the adventure to new highs. Great fun.

What will it be in 2018?
Cheers,

James

Once more I would like to say thank you to Mathijs and his merry lot for conceiving and holding this. I again say it was an original. I wish to also thank all fellow participants for being such great sports and such fun company. I wish to congratulate each and every one of the participants for the great airmanship and the safe completion of the journey, I extend this to even those of us who were unable to finish the journey for whatever reason. I did my best to write personally (to some) but never got around to do it to everyone, I beg forgiveness for that.  I thank Mathijs personally for shouldering the hefty, almost punitive £15,000/- Dickie's bar bill at the mall ;)

It was a true pleasure and a privilege being with you all and thanks to every single one of you on here. Cheers! :cheers_s:

Khalid

Archived