I thought my new PC would be capable but it wasn't...

Hi everyone,

These are my specifications:

Processor: Intel i7 6700K 4 GHz (no overclocked)

Motherboard: Z170A Gaming Pro

Refrigeration: Corsair Hydro Series H60

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

DDR4 16 Go

SSD 240 Go

I bought this PC last November and I thought it would be capable of handling heavy sims such as Aerosoft's Paris Orly/Madrid along with Aerosoft's Airbus 320 but sometimes I just get 7-10 fps maximum at medium/low scenery settings. I wan't expecting an absolute fluidity but these figures are rather dissapointing.

I would like to know if I have to adjust any setting of the desktop, OS, video card or tweak the FSX.cfg file to get more out of the computer. Both the PC and FSX are "untweaked", just as they came out of their boxes plus their most recent updates.  

Once away from these and other add-on airports the fps improve up to around 15-20 fps (+30 with simpler planes and default sceneries) even using these expansions:

FS Global 2010

Orbx Base Global Texture

Orbx Vextor

Orbx openLC Europe

Aircrafts such as PMDG MD11 or Level-D 767 seem to flow better at any given time/place.

I would really appreciate your advise and expertise as I would lime to make the best out of the add-ons given the hardware I have.

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Francisco

Nothing wrong with that hardware, but there's one thing you didn't mention: your harddrive. Do you have an SSD or an ordinary harddisk? This could be the cause of everything. The rest of the computer can be fast enough, but if you got a slow harddisk this will slow everything down.

According to your FS installation, let's take it step by step. So first install only FSX (including SP1 and SP2) and then watch your FPS. Got good FPS? Then it's time to install the next thing (FS Global 2010). Again, after installing, watch your FPS. Is it good? Install the next.

Regarding tweaking your FSX.CFG file, only apply the highmemfix tweak and nothing else! Those tweaks all got side effects.

Hi PatrickZ and thanks for your reply,

I think that the SSD 16Go would stand for the type of memory installed and, correct me if I am wrong, SSD units are not like the traditional harddisks.

I visited a few forums searching for clues and information on which type of memory I should get and I even read that for FSX 8 Go should be enough.

I find all this computer world overwhelming and beyond my understanding that is why I aimed at a rather well equipped PC based on reviews, articles and FSX users but bottom line I can't guarantee I made the right choice hence the title of my thread. 

I had to move and reinstall FSX from the C: drive to the E: as I run out of space for the "orbx family" in the former unit. 

I genuinely thought I would get better performance but honestly Aerosoft's Orly and Madrid are so "hungry" that I just don't fly over there with Aerosoft's A320. The fps I get deem the game unplayable. 

I don't think Orbx or FS Global have had any major impact on the performace because with PMDG or Level-D models FSX runs smoother.

Which are those FSX tweaks I could do? Am I supposed to configure any setting of the NVIDIA card?

I started in this hobby with FS98 and I can't say that either the software and hardware has ever run parallel at any time.

Thanks again for your tips!

Francisco

Have you thought about Prepar3d V3. This should eradicate most FPS issues. 

There are a mountain of tweaks for FSX but hassle free simming with P3dV3 is far better. 

Your PC is a good spec for it too. 

45 minutes ago, LFCC said:

I think that the SSD 16Go would stand for the type of memory installed and, correct me if I am wrong, SSD units are not like the traditional harddisks.

I visited a few forums searching for clues and information on which type of memory I should get and I even read that for FSX 8 Go should be enough.

No, that's absolutely wrong! You're mixing up two different kinds of memory. Those 16 GB is NOT hard disk space, it's internal memory. It's a few strips of microchips on the motherboard. Those microchips work on electricity, so this memory is being emptied when you switch off the computer. When you switch it on, every piece of software that's being used is loaded from the hard disk into the internal memory. This stars with the OS, and on top of that the programs in use such as FS.

Indeed, SSD units are not like traditional harddisks. However, they're both storage devices. They both show up as a drive letter in "my computer". When you switch off the computer, everything on the harddisk or SSD stays there. It's not being emptied like the internal memory. The difference between a harddisk and an SSD is that a harddisk is a "moving device", it's a physical spinning drive with a motorised read/write head. Just like an old floppy drive, but many times more advanced. An SSD is not moving, it can be compared to a storage card like you got in your photo camera. It uses more or less the same technology, therefor it can be faster than a traditional harddisk. But on the outside, the way they connect to the computer, they're the same.

I suppose your computer has got a regular harddisk. The size doesn't matter too much, but what does matter is it's speed. Like I said, a harddisk is a physical spinning drive, it rotates and while it does the head reads and writes data on it. But how fast does it spin? That's not the same at all harddisks. The first harddisks ran at 1.200 rpm (rounds per minute), but as technology advanced the speed got higher. Nowadays you find 4.200 rpm (very slow), 5.400 rpm (slow), 7.200 rpm (reasonable) and 10.000 rpm (quite fast) harddisk. I suppose your computer has a slow or very slow harddisk.

Don't forget that tweaking can improve your performance. For me, after weeks of tweaking trial and error i had double fps than with standard fsx and aerosoft airbus. Every pc has its own specific tweaks. But one tweak is a must have, the HIGHMEMFIX=1 !

1 minute ago, keukenrol said:

Don't forget that tweaking can improve your performance. For me, after weeks of tweaking trial and error i had double fps than with standard fsx and aerosoft airbus. Every pc has its own specific tweaks. But one tweak is a must have, the HIGHMEMFIX=1 !

If you don't know how to tweak, don't do it! You might be better off untweaked than tweaked. Only the Highmemfix is manditory. The rest of the tweaks all got side effects. You might gain a few fps, but the textures might become blurry or the VAS use might increase. The default settings are mostly good.

I was in the same boat as you with regards to performance and FSX Boxed. I have a 3930K overclocked to 5.1GHz, a GTX 980, 32GB RAM at 2666MHz and FSX still ran poorly. Then I bought FSX: Steam Edition and installed all of my addons on it. We're talking PMDG 777, 737, CaptainSim products, all of my Orbx Scenery (Global, Vector, OpenLC EU, CRM, PFJ, England Scotland etc etc etc), all of my FlyTampa, Aerosoft, FSDT Airports. Everything.

I'm currently running it maxed out and with a stable 30-35FPS without a single OOM or config tweak (includes 10+ hour flights and maxed addon traffic), and I'm running Nvidia Inspector. I can't begin to complement DTG enough on what they've done with the Steam Edition. Hell, it runs better and is far more stable than P3D is. I'd give it a look as a option to the boxed version.

Thanks everyone for your answers.For the time being I think I will stick a bit longer with FSX boxed edition and will later consider Steam or PreparD I am definitely not going to mess around with the cfg file and I will try to find out how to ºintroduce the HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak.

I have removed the panels of the PC and as a hard disks I guess I have:

- C: Solid State Drive Crucial BX100 2.5 SDD

- E: SATA 64 MB cache/WD10EZEX 1.0TB

I have been talking to a colleague and he told me that maybe if i moved FSX from E: to C: it would run faster.

Thanks again!

Fran

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Fran, 

your friend is right, an SSD can really be an eye opener in FSX ;)  

But if you do so, move it to C:\FSX and to the default location below the Program folder. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
35 minutes ago, Q68 said:

Hi everyone,

I have a installation problem with PMDG 777 base package. I have FSX steam on my computer. I bought PMDG 777 base package (box edition) on the Aerosoft web site. I installed it perfectly but  I cannot access to "Free Flight" because an error message saying FSX has stopped working appears all the time. I hope you can help me finding the source of the problem.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.62615.0

Application Timestamp: 559f9a9a

Fault Module Name: StackHash_4c4a

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c00001a5

Exception Offset: PCH_62_FROM_ntdll+0x00040DA8 OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101 Locale ID: 1036 A

Thanks in advance.

Please post your issue in the correct forum for support: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/647-aircraft-general/

Hi Jeroen,

I decided to ask the community about my equipment because I thought the reason for the low fps with those 3 aerosoft products (I have other aerosoft airports as well) would be my PC. If you think I should ask specifically about why Orly, Madrid and the A320 go so slow in their respective forums then I am happy to do so.

Happy flying!

LFCC

If that 240 GB SSD is the only HD your using then that could be a big problem. You don't really gain much putting your FS on a SSD anyway. If I were you I would use that 240 for my OS and get a 1 TB HDD for my sim. For my system I have the same SSD for my OS and then I use two 1 TB HDD for my sims. One for FSX and one for P3D.

6 hours ago, clintlc said:

If that 240 GB SSD is the only HD your using then that could be a big problem. You don't really gain much putting your FS on a SSD anyway. If I were you I would use that 240 for my OS and get a 1 TB HDD for my sim. For my system I have the same SSD for my OS and then I use two 1 TB HDD for my sims. One for FSX and one for P3D.

That is so not true! SSD's are a lot faster than HDD's and you really notice the difference if you got FS installed on an SSD instead of a HDD.

Of course 240 GB is a bit on the small side for both the OS and the sim, and then that 1 TB HDD would hardly be used. It's possible, but not perfect.

Looking at my own system, I got two SSD's (1x 750 GB for the OS, 1x 500 GB for FS) and one 3 TB HDD (storage). That HDD is really a lot slower than those SSD's, but since it's for storage only it doesn't matter.

Your benefit is in load time. Other than that it will not make that big of a difference. If he is depending solely on a 240 GB HD be it a SSD or a HDD he is going to use a big % of that HD in a hurry especially installing a FS with addons.

Archived