Advice on monster PC needed.

Hello everyone.

I personally own a rig based on Intel SB platform (i7-2600K @ 4.8) but right now I need a monster rig for a flight simulator project at my university. It must run either FSX, P3D or XPlane (most preferably all of them on different drives and system so that they do not interfere) on 8 screen setup creating over 180 degrees FOV. We cannot use projectors!

My current list of parts (based on experience with my rig) is as follow:

CPU: Intel i7 4770K (to be overclocked to around 4.5-4.8 GHz)

cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro H110 (as a basis for later custom system if needed)

MOBO: Asus MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

GPU: GeForce GTX 780 3GB HDMI&DualDVI DisplayPort Twin Frozr MSI (my current choice)

RAM: DIMM PC-2400 DDR3 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CL9

PSU: ATX 1000W be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10

HDD/SDD:

• HDD Solid State Drive 2.5" 500GB SSD840 Kit MLC Samsung
  • HDD Serial ATA 600 1 TB Western Digital VelociRaptor

The question is now about GPU cause I am thinking about those two as well and cannot decide:

GeForce GTX 780 3GB HDMI&DualDVI DisplayPort Asus

or

Radeon HD 7970 3GB DVI&HDMI 4xMini DisplayPort Direct CU II TOP Asus

So. What dou you think about this rig? Will it handle? Also which GPU you recommend? I know for FSX nVidia is generally better but when it comes to so many displays ATI with it's Eyefinity might prove better choice. Need you advice!

Thanks for help,

Robert.

The 8 monitor setup you speak of is impossible. The maximum number of monitors you can have is 6 with the radeon hd 7970. You're going to need a TON of vram for that, so buy a Sapphire Toxic Edition 7970. (http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11197-05-40G/dp/B0098HW0H2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381101937&sr=8-2&keywords=sapphire+7970). Fsx doesn't support crossfire so I hope thats enough! :goodluck_s: Cpu sounds good, just try to overclock that thing as much as you can. Theres a lot of pixels to drive. Remember to use ssds. If you decide not to use fsx at all, get 3 gpus, lol! Seriously, you can't get enough power to run those 6 monitors! Good luck.

A liitle complicated, in this case ATI could be the solution, I don't know if you can use the Titan in SLI mode, then you can use more monitors, I know that FSX are not ready for SLI or Crossfire. Well we need more information for the final decision :)

A liitle complicated, in this case ATI could be the solution, I don't know if you can use the Titan in SLI mode, then you can use more monitors, I know that FSX are not ready for SLI or Crossfire. Well we need more information for the final decision :)

I should be able to give an answer to the threadstarter, you see my Personal Computer history in my signature.

But I've never heard of 8 screens in use with only one processor. What do you think?

Imho, that should be a network solution: 2 cases, (at least) 4 hdds, 2 cpus, 2 power supplies, and, here comes my limited experience with crossfire...

4 discrete video cards (on 2 mobos).

That would fulfil my imagination of not more that 2 screens on 1 video card...

And if you ask me, as an avowed crossfire fan, you should buy 4 amd HD 7000s (pciE)...

PS: fsx is not available with Crossfire? Isn't that a restriction only by the o/s? I have never tried that. But I know another fact, for 1 hdd, you'll need 1 fsx licence and 1 o/s license each.

So, imho, this is not only a hardware question.

I'll stay with it, I have never tried to combine 2 processors in 2 cases with 2 fsx licenses and... 8 screens. Anyone?

Not possible with a single PC. Connect more of them via WideView or similar. And forget ATI - take nVidia. When you fly in clouds you will see the difference.

Rgds

Reinhard

• Deputy Sheriffs

Regarding the harddisks, if you got enough budget, I would prefer 2 SSDs each with 1 TB, price is meanwhile around 500 € per disk (at least here in Germany).

Thank you for help.

I know fsx has issues with sli but how about 2-3 independent GPUs? Will such configuration make a negative difference?

Also how good is wideview or opus at synchronizing 2 or 3 pcs?

But SLI incorporates power of both GPUs into one. In independent mode you just have two separate GPUs without using SLI bridge or whatever. This should not have negative impact and in fact should help in multidisplay configurations.

I think we'll start with single PC anyway :P We can use those additional GPUs in next PCs later on if we need them. ;) Thanks for advice anyway.

And if you still want more screens on a single graphics card there's always the Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go. They might be what you need. I got a TripleHead2Go myself and I'm very satisfied about it. Only one DVI-cable leaves the graphics card, into the TripleHead2Go where from where 3 DVI-cables lead to my 3 screens giving me a beautiful wide display.

• Aerosoft

And if you still want more screens on a single graphics card there's always the Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go. They might be what you need. I got a TripleHead2Go myself and I'm very satisfied about it. Only one DVI-cable leaves the graphics card, into the TripleHead2Go where from where 3 DVI-cables lead to my 3 screens giving me a beautiful wide display.

We are not huge fans of these, there are still some limitations that are hard to avoid.

Archived