Suggestion: Request parking position already before landing

Hi,

I have found that one can become a bit hectic after landing to select the appropriate parking position in order to request the follow-me, especially when landing on big airports with many parking positions and when running a home cockpit where a lot of things are done right after landing...

So I thought if it would be possible to request the parking position already before landing? And maybe the follow-me car can then automatically appear after landing, let's say after vacating the runway or after slowing down below 20 knots or so...

I could also imagine to maintain some kind of ini file where I can add my favorite gate for some airports, so the selection within AES already starts on this gate and one could avoid browsing through the list of all gates.

Just an idea :)

Thanks

Stefan

I am not Oliver, so maybe he will answer your questions directly.

In the meantime let me add a few thoughts from myself. Maybe you will find them useful.

I thought if it would be possible to request the parking position already before landing?

Hardly realistic as, just like in RW, you are usually assigned a position after landing, when you contact Ground (you are landing with the Tower frequency on)

maybe the follow-me car can then automatically appear after landing

I guess not everybody would like this feature. Some folks don't use follow me.

I can add my favorite gate for some airports

You can always do it via AFCAD to make sure your gate will never be occupied.

As an alternative method, effective though not realistic indeed, you can use the FSUIPC traffic zapper which will eliminate any AI plane occupying your chosen gate.

Hi,

Just another suggestion about parking spots : could it be possible to be informed if the gate choosen is the good size for the airplne, and if it is empty?

Regards

Yves

Hardly realistic as, just like in RW, you are usually assigned a position after landing, when you contact Ground (you are landing with the Tower frequency on)

I think there are many cases where the crews actually know about their parking position already before landing, and they often discuss their planned taxiway already in the briefing before landing.

Of course this should only happen if you select a gate before landing and request follow me at that time. If you do not, then simply no follow-me appears. Just as now.

As an alternative method, effective though not realistic indeed, you can use the FSUIPC traffic zapper which will eliminate any AI plane occupying your chosen gate.

It's not about traffic zapper and occupied gates, but - as I said in my first post - it could make the handling easier if you are very busy after landing with other things. If there is any chance to avoid the browsing through all parking positions to find the correct one, this would be more than welcome.

Stefan

I am not Oliver, so maybe he will answer your questions directly.

In the meantime let me add a few thoughts from myself. Maybe you will find them useful.

Yes but in RW, some airlines already get the gate assignment even before they touch down. Its all a schedule that they have. I know Delta does that with some of the airports i have been too.

some airlines already get the gate assignment even before they touch down

Right, this is why I wrote:

just like in RW, you are usually assigned a position after landing, when you contact Ground

I think there are many cases where the crews actually know about their parking position already before landing

Are you sure on that? Asking just out of curiosity.

With all the (countless) cockpit videos I've seen and all the Live ATC communication I was listening to (almost everyday), I witnessed such situation maybe two or three times.

All in all it's not that I mind such option should Oliver wish to implement it. The more options, the better product you get in the end. I was just sharing some impressions.

Are you sure on that? Asking just out of curiosity.

With all the (countless) cockpit videos I've seen and all the Live ATC communication I was listening to (almost everyday), I witnessed such situation maybe two or three times.

Actually I'm quite sure on that. Keep in mind you can almost all the time look up the arrival gate in the internet too even before or during the flight. So the gates are assigned already. IRL it's not that ATC just looks for a free space when you land. They're having a strict system on which aircraft to place where.

From what I remember the crew can look the information up in the ARCAS. As we do not have a properly simulated ARCAS in FS it's not surprising that most simmers do not know about it's possibilitys in real life.

Oliver you'd have another person to apprechiate this feature with me! :)

Hi all,

I work for an airline, and at the big airports we operate from, we always get the stand number a certain aircraft will park at long before it lands (sometimes a few hours before it lands).

we always get the stand number a certain aircraft will park at long before it lands

OK, then I stand corrected. I was completely misled by cockpit videos and listening to ATC from LiveATC and scanners.

Instructions like e.g. ground saying: 'Austrian X, taxi to stand ... via ...' made me think pilots didn't yet know where to park. :banghead1_s:

ARCAS

ACARS ;)

Enough from me in this topic, guys.

I have learned a lesson today.

I then wish you Oliver's goodwill.

OK, then I stand corrected. I was completely misled by cockpit videos and listening to ATC from LiveATC and scanners.

Instructions like e.g. ground saying: 'Austrian X, taxi to stand ... via ...' made me think pilots didn't yet know where to park. :banghead1_s:

ACARS ;)

Enough from me in this topic, guys.

I have learned a lesson today.

I then wish you Oliver's goodwill.

Well atleast i know that everytime i fly into my home airport, MSP (under my profile pic on the left), the captain/co pilot or flight crew tell us the gate and so on.... Maybe its just airline schedule for some airport gatess and whatnot.....

So I thought if it would be possible to request the parking position already before landing.....

That's something I wanted also since ages. It's a bit annoying to stop the plane after landing just to search for my special parking position in a very long list (like in Heathrow or CDG). Calling then the FollowMe is no problem for me, coz it comes normaly very quickly, but looking through that list is not so amusing.

By the way Oliver, your AES is so wonderful and it's getting better with every update! Thank you for your continuity.

Bernhard

...we always get the stand number a certain aircraft will park at long before it lands (sometimes a few hours before it lands).

Since your airline pays the rent for stand xyz at airport xyz, you would know what stand you're going to in advance, but how can you know what gate you're using? If another plane arrives before you and your gate is the only one at your stand that is empty, that plane takes your gate.

If you know the parking position before landing then you should also have time to get the appropriate ground movements chart to hand so you don't even need to request a follow me service ;)

Geoff

I know we all have our different priorities, but honestly, I would much rather see Oliver investing his rare time ressources on extended configuration possibilities (configuring the fuelling point, extra belt loaders on big widebodies, cargo loading from the left etc).

I know we all have our different priorities, but honestly, I would much rather see Oliver investing his rare time ressources on extended configuration possibilities (configuring the fuelling point, extra belt loaders on big widebodies, cargo loading from the left etc).

Hear hear. :)

No to hijack the thread, but one more (and admittedly very minor) thing, that does bug me..I would love, if AES/ the intelliscene file could safe boarding/deboardiong/cleining/fuelling times for each aircraft. Not that it's killing me, but it would be very nice to have.

As part of my routine I will look up my arrival gate real world as a I flight plan. If the gate is not listed, I will choose one that is appropriate. Then I go into the AFCAD before my flight and assign it a unique parking code not matching any airline. 99% of the time my gate is free for me upon arrival. Later, after my flying, I can go back and reassign the parking spot to what is was. I have a short cut to AFX (Afcad editor) on my desktop, whole process can take less than a minute. I use EFB, which provides an airport diagram, so I do not use follow me.

Joe L.

Archived